Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: pinion gear replacement

I know Subaru policy is for dealers to only install "factory" remanufactured transmisssions and not to try to repair transmissions at the dealership. I assume a blown front differential calls for a "factory" remanufactured transmission to be installed under Subaru dealership policy.

A lot of other manufacturers do let their dealerships repair transmissions. Large Ford dealerships have a transmission repair "tech." It's one guy and that's all he does and is trained to do. I believe Chevy was the same way and that in their cases that guy is the guy who would rebuild a differential but I think they changed their policy about 4 years ago and that's why it's next to impossible to find the chevy gear marking compound now (which is the gear marking compound I use).

Anyway, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just saying there is good reason for differentials to be set up propperly and not haphazardly thrown together. Just like an avid home mechanic can build an engine with care and attention to learning how to do it right an avid home mechanic can set up a differential with care and attention to learning how to do it right.