Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Headed to Texas...

I'll start off by saying I have NO idea about the science being applied relative to Silver Spear's intake mod - other than agreeing that cooler intake air is better.

My question is, in a real world setting, how much of an improvement can this mod really give, or in other words is it worth the work? I'm assuming that any car engine sucks in a LOT of air when it's running, meaning high volume that doesn't stay in the intake plumbing long enough to effectively cool it assuming you have the means.

Am I wrong?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVITYMAN
Cool. Is the copper going to come into contact with the engine? This was what I was concerned about. The ambiant temperature of the engine bay is not as much of a concern as the engine transfering heat through direct contact into the manifold.

The best way to design a manifold is to remove ALL heating capabilities, in other words prevent any hot air from getting into the intake. There is really no way to remove heat lower than ambiant temperature from the intake air, this includes intercoolers. Intercoolers lower charged temps to ambiant temp. The only real way to lower the intake charge are methods like methanol, alcohol, ice pack ect.

Look at all the new intakes on the 2.5 GT, they are made of composite. The reason for this is to keep all the engine temperatures whether it be direct contact or radiation heat from getting into the intake charge.

Tell you the truth I hope your method works! I have been studying intake designs and intake temperatures for quite a while now and I plan on going with a carbonfiber intake for its strength and its low temperature transfer rate.
What i will do is to try to isolate my copper system as much as i can from engine heat. The system may still fail on the level of the intake manifold, i mean that heat can still be generated to the copper intake and heat it up, but if the thing i am having in mind now works well, along with that small fan I installed (this is why i put it there to push that remaining amount of heat away by more cold air coming from outside) I will find for sure great results from it.

I am also hoping that this thing works. If not, I could say that i have at least tried, or explored another possibility. I will also keep half of the system i made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
I'll start off by saying I have NO idea about the science being applied relative to Silver Spear's intake mod - other than agreeing that cooler intake air is better.

My question is, in a real world setting, how much of an improvement can this mod really give, or in other words is it worth the work? I'm assuming that any car engine sucks in a LOT of air when it's running, meaning high volume that doesn't stay in the intake plumbing long enough to effectively cool it assuming you have the means.

Am I wrong?
How much improvement? I frankly do not know... but it will be higher than all the others, that's for sure... if it works.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 10-11-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
EUhhhhhhhh, i didn't realize that my pic was that BIG , can we do something about it??? anyone?

Ok i will delete it from my folder... it is the part going from the Maf to the fender, Step 7.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Hater

SilverSpear, while i applaud your efforts, i believe i have a much simpler solution.

i have my Trunk Monkey rub ice cream sandwiches on my intake, which in turn lowers temperatures and gives increased performance. this added power comes at a price, however, as the monkey insisted that his title be changed to Enginebay Monkey, and he gets to eat any leftover ice cream sandwiches after our driving adventures.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
SilverSpear, while i applaud your efforts, i believe i have a much simpler solution.

i have my Trunk Monkey rub ice cream sandwiches on my intake, which in turn lowers temperatures and gives increased performance. this added power comes at a price, however, as the monkey insisted that his title be changed to Enginebay Monkey, and he gets to eat any leftover ice cream sandwiches after our driving adventures.
Trunk Monkey?? what is that???

Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark

OMG!! I'm rolling over here. The mental picture of a little spider monkey smearing ice cream.... I can't breathe!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
OMG!! I'm rolling over here. The mental picture of a little spider monkey smearing ice cream.... I can't breathe!!
Ok i surrender now.....

Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Ok i surrender now.....

Ahhh, he was just making fun of himself.. You have to admit the mental image is funny.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Ahhh, he was just making fun of himself.. You have to admit the mental image is funny.
Ohhhh, ok. I just get when i do not understand stufff...

Old 10-10-2005, 08:47 AM
GRAVITYMAN

Silverspear, dont mind them.

I just wanted to bring up a point I was thinking about. A small fan does not have enough power to offset the temperatures in the engine bay. Instead make a hood scoop that will blow cold air onto the top of the copper intake. This will provide 10 fold the amount of air that little fan is pumping and doesnt require any extra wiring.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Another thing to remember though is that copper will easily corrode, so using a hoodscoop would require some kind of method to block out the excess moisture which will corrode the copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVITYMAN
Silverspear, dont mind them.

I just wanted to bring up a point I was thinking about. A small fan does not have enough power to offset the temperatures in the engine bay. Instead make a hood scoop that will blow cold air onto the top of the copper intake. This will provide 10 fold the amount of air that little fan is pumping and doesnt require any extra wiring.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-10-2005, 09:39 AM
GRAVITYMAN

Powdercoat it, use clear and you could keep the color.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
Another thing to remember though is that copper will easily corrode, so using a hoodscoop would require some kind of method to block out the excess moisture which will corrode the copper.
copper needs a very long time in contact with water to get corroded... Over here they manufacture radiators out of copper and still they last for nearly a decade...

Old 10-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Ohhhh, ok. I just get when i do not understand stufff...

Me too!!

Old 10-10-2005, 03:27 PM

I believe that the pluming (in homes this days) or pipes are made out of copper. In the becouse is less likely to corrode.....