Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

What kind of exhaust to build for the raceSVX

The exhaust is coming off hopefully tomorrow if I can get it up onto the ramps without any engine myself. My initial thought was to go with a single Y-pipe back pipe going to the pass. side with a glasspack on it but after some talk with my mechanic about his duel straight pipes on his EA-81 and the power it produced I was thinking about that as well. Problem is how do you fool the engine into thinking the O2 sensor is reporting proper info and think it would be worth the added weight? Don't wanna destroy the Y pipe for an experiment and not have it work. I do kind of like the thought of having flames shoot out when it shifts though.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
justiceSVX

Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Is this going to be a cat-back system or a manifold-back system?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:23 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I say run duals with a cross-over pipe to even the pressure and for a location for the O2 sensor, through 2 glasspacks, and exit in front of each rear wheel......I mean it's a race car, that'd make it look and sound like one

Huck showing his muscle car roots.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-07-2005, 06:18 AM

Just for simplicity sake I was gonna do pretty much that huck but just after the first gutted cat I was gonna take one pipe back and out in front of the pass side rear wheel. The cats aren't needed but I've heard stories about newer subies having issues with burning valves b/c of a lack of back pressure.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:29 AM

As long as you have some type of muffler on it, I would think it should have enough back pressure to keep it from burning valves.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-07-2005, 08:56 AM
sans SVX

How does lack of back pressure cause burned valves?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
How does lack of back pressure cause burned valves?
Not a clue but from what I've heard it can and does in boxers. Of course this is something I would like to avoid. I do know that most post ea-81 subie engines I've had that have run catless have all had some noticable stumble issues without the back pressure.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM

It's not a boxer style motor thing, it's a any motor thing...
I believe that between strokes with no back pressure, it can actually suck cold air back up the pipes which hits the red hot valves causing them to crack....this is my understanding of it anyway....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-07-2005, 10:18 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
It's not a boxer style motor thing, it's a any motor thing...
I believe that between strokes with no back pressure, it can actually suck cold air back up the pipes which hits the red hot valves causing them to crack....this is my understanding of it anyway....
ok. That's kinda what I was thinking. Couldn't see any other reason. I've been running catless and with straight thru mufflers for 6 months now with no probs. Probably just need to make sure that the tail pipe is sufficiently long.

Visit my locker

Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 AM

I've seen it happen before, but it's usually from a bad exhaust leak at the manifold, or from running open headers.....I figure if you have a good length of pipe on it it wouldn't be an issue. (Of course if you're running way oversized pipe, it would be worse than a pipe sized just right....)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Question Loss of torque concerns Ben

I've seen a number of tests on cars with shortened exhaust system, ie ahead of rear wheels, where torque is lost versus a full length exhaust system. This is typically on domestic V-8's.

I'm not sure what type of racing you're planning on and low-end torque may not be as beneficial as high end HP, but I wanted to bring it to you attention. Also, many racing venues are now testing dB ooutput and requiring muffled exhaust systems due to noise complaints.

Just my $0.02

Todd
Old 01-07-2005, 01:24 PM
fraz

On our race car we ran a 2 inch pipe about 1m from the stock manifolds and merged them into a 3inch pipe with 1 bola muffler woth a 3 inch out. It made the mean subaru noise, but was much more meaty than the 4 cyl ones you hear.
It was also well under 85dB
Old 01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
sans SVX

Not sure why you're worried about the O2 sensors. The ones used by the engine for closed loop are located a few inches past the exhaust manifolds. Unless you change tubing size at that point, you shouldn't have to touch the O2 sensors whether the exhaust system remains a 2-into-1 or is converted to a dual exhaust. If its an ODB-II car, the third O2 sensor that sits on the backside of the secondary cat has no bearing on engine performance, and there are plugs you can buy that will attach to that O2 sensor and send the "proper" signal to the ECU for that third O2 sensor.

Probably not much room under the car to run a tail pipe out the side. Since it can't be tucked out of the airflow, it might not be so great for aerodynamics either. I'd do like SVX files did and stick a megaphone straight out the back! If you do with true dual, you could have two megaphones, probably complete with flames shooting out the megaphones when you're off the throttle. :-)

Visit my locker

Old 01-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Reason I'm thinking side is weight savings. There should be plenty of room for a 2 1/2 inch pipe I think. Will be putting on some sort of free flow muffler. Probably a cherry bomb style. Loud is somewhat acceptable as the car isn't streetable. Abnoxious is not as acceptable.

So the 02 sensors are actually in the Y pipe not the cat huh? Haven't looked under yet just assumed it be the same place as an EA-81 or EA-82.