How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-15-2004, 10:53 PM
JLittell

NASCAR What???

OK! I am one of those who don't see the "fun" in watching and following all of these annual NASCAR events. I was in KC and I can't beleive all the hype about it all. Actually all I had to do is go to my local Home Depot and realize that they had a race car parked in the front lot. So rather than poking fun of this NASCAR craze, can someone give some insight to what is so exciting about the sport NASCAR? To me it like watching golf! Going to the event in one thing, but making weekend plans to watch NASCAR on television?? What am I missing??
Old 04-15-2004, 10:58 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
you're not missing anything, john. i agree with you totally.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 04-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I'll tell you what you're missing: A neck ache from watching cars drive around in circles, a beergut from all the budweiser and coors that nascar fans drink, a mullet, wifebeater, and trailer home.

That's what.

Nascar USED to be cool. It used to be 'stock car' racing, where the cars you saw racing were the actual cars being produced and you could actually buy them. Win on sunday, sell on monday. The big three took it to heart, and they started producing REAL performance cars for EVERYDAY people. Then they tweaked their designs even more, and wound up with cars designed specifically for wins like the Dodge Daytona and the plymouth Superbird...both of which kicked major ass, but since chrysler is the least popular (numbers wise) the rule book basically screwed chrysler in the ass, restricting the hemi, and then Chrysler said "you know what? If you're going to just change the rules everytime we win, we're not going to play anymore" and left nascar entirely. Then... they started using tube frame race car chassis with generic bodywork, hi power v8s, and basically... it just sucks now. NOTHING you see on the track shares even the same DRIVETRAIN layout as what you find at the dealership. If nascar and all it's fans fell off the face of the earth I don't think I'd mind one bit.

- Rob
Old 04-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

I'm not the biggest Nascar fan but I've been to a few races at Martinsville & Richmond in VA. What really got me pumped about watching the racing in-person was the roar of those V8's as they circled the track and the crazy wrecks that happened every 20 odd laps!

Honestly, I hate watching it on TV as all they do is circle a track making left turns all day (only two races each year are on a road course).

I guess it comes down to personal taste. I prefer to watch Formula 1, CART or even Indy. Grand Am/ GT racing on Speed Channel is also waaaay more interesting to me.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-15-2004, 11:06 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I'll tell you what you're missing: A neck ache from watching cars drive around in circles, a beergut from all the budweiser and coors that nascar fans drink, a mullet, wifebeater, and trailer home.

That's what.

- Rob
omg! i'm a nascar fan and i don't even know it!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 04-16-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shelfy
you're not missing anything, john. i agree with you totally.
The problem is, y'all ain't Southern.

dcb
Old 04-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

The problem is, y'all ain't Southern.

dcb
Bwahaha!

Nascar is like wrasslin down heeyur. If you dont like it then you can get in yer vehicle and head north until yer hat floats.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've been to the daytona 500 and I grew up with a racetrack about a mile from my "trailer". We used to hop in my brothers camaro or the bed of a pickup truck and go watch the amateurs race at spencer speedway every week. It was a tiny track and someone spun out about every 3 laps.

I wouldnt say Im a nascar fan. I have no idea who is in the lead in points or what race is this weekend or what number car Joe Bob drives this year or any of that, but I enjoy watching it in person once in a while and dont we all just love to see a big car wreck?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:46 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Every man has a weakness...I think you just nailed mine!

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
dont we all just love to see a big car wreck?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-16-2004, 07:47 AM

watch wrecks?

I tape the races and just fast-forward through 'em 'til there's smoke.

dcb
Old 04-16-2004, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
It used to be 'stock car' racing, where the cars you saw racing were the actual cars being produced and you could actually buy them. Win on sunday, sell on monday.
You're right; it ain't the same. Now the cars are all but identically prepared. I'd like to see them have to run a stock drivetrain/suspension arrangement, with a body profile that at least resembles something from the showroom.

(BTW, the gut is from pork rinds and Co-cola, and a new single-wide costs more than my current house.)

dcb
Old 04-16-2004, 08:04 AM
alacrity024

"geeze verne, we've got all these here cars an' i got to thinkin' we should have a race.."

"well golly chuck, ain't most of these drivers know but how to work a clutch and the gas.. they's good at goin' fast, but they don't much like slowin' down for them there corners.."

"yeah, brakes are for sissies..."

"awright, i gots an idea.. EVERYBODY! TURN LEFT!"

*apologies to anyone named chuck or verne.. you had it coming.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
"geeze verne, we've got all these here cars an' i got to thinkin' we should have a race.."

"well golly chuck, ain't most of these drivers know but how to work a clutch and the gas.. they's good at goin' fast, but they don't much like slowin' down for them there corners.."

"yeah, brakes are for sissies..."

"awright, i gots an idea.. EVERYBODY! TURN LEFT!"
This pretty much describes how moonshine runners from these parts got started racing in Daytona: South down A1A, left onto the beach, north on the sand, left back onto the highway, repeat...

dcb
Old 04-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
dont we all just love to see a big car wreck?
hey rob, i think you should try nascar. you'd probably be the #1 driver. no i don't think your disorder will interfere. it's only 500 miles .

harry(love to see big car wrecks...with rob in it)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: