Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Sonnyred

Tranny info...

Im jut bought a 92 SVX, and Im having the tranny rebuilt. I would like to do everything I can NOW to sort this tranny out, and set it up for improved performance and durability... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sonnyred
Old 09-09-2001, 12:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Tranny info...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonnyred
Im jut bought a 92 SVX, and Im having the tranny rebuilt. I would like to do everything I can NOW to sort this tranny out, and set it up for improved performance and durability... Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sonnyred
Sonny, first of all, welcome to "The Network." Make yourself at home and enjoy all it has to offer.

Are you already in the process of having the tranny rebuilt? Or, is the actual process in the near future? Here are the things I've heard over the last couple of years:

Some swear by the Level 10 rebuild. If you have a lot of cash and you're looking for firmer shifts, this is the route a lot of people take. Although the jury is out on "bullet proofness" some find it to be the "ultimate" rebuild.

If the full rebuild it too much, some have sent just the valve body for recalibrating. That has seemed to serve some members well.

If you still have the original '92 radiator, be sure that the "program" filter kit has been installed. Or, if it's a high mileage car, order another one and have it changed (only about 12 bucks for kit and postage). It's "cheap insurance." If you DO need to replace the radiator, make sure it's replaced with a late model radiator since the "in radiator" cooler has been upgraded.

In any case, have an auxiliary trans cooler installed. This will help extend the life of the trans by keeping the temps down. Some install in parallel, some "after" the stock cooler, some bypass it altogether -- no matter, just do it.

Some also swear by synthetic tranny fluid. It's not my choice, but, if you want the peace of mind, give it a shot.

That's about it, as far as I can recall off the top of my head. It, of course, depends upon how much money you have and how far you want to go.

Best of luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-09-2001, 04:40 PM
Sonnyred

Thanks for the input, Aredubjay... I will have the tranny rebuilt next week, so, Im looking for items, proceedures, that need to be done, now, to improve performance, and durability. Of course $$ is ALWAYS an issue... But, I'll check it out and see... Valvebody mods, should be in the budget. Just rying to TCB, while Im in there. The rest of the car seems to be in pretty good (high mileage) shape. Thanks again... Sonnyred
Old 09-09-2001, 06:02 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonnyred
Just rying to TCB, while Im in there. The rest of the car seems to be in pretty good (high mileage) shape. Thanks again... Sonnyred
Good idea on the TCB deal. Call Pat at Level 10 and ask about the valve body mods (speak to Pat only and get a firm price before sending it in -- if that's the route you take). My car only has 162K on it, so, I wouldn't know about "high mileage" cars. Glad to help.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-10-2001, 05:09 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

A few thoughts for you.
Contact Subaru Of America and register your VIN number. They can also tell you if the tranny was replaced under warantee bt Subaru.
I have been looking into the tranny upagrades lately and other than the items mentioned above these have been changed/upgraded:

Transfer valve with solenoid "C" is now the same as on Legacy models.

Valve body. This the hydraulic control unit with many valves and small passageways.

Temperature sensor in the trans fluid has been changed and put in a new location.