Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Jimsbaby

Question what else Tranny

ok my svx is down again due to tranny...ok heres the questions is there anyway to find out if the computer in the tranny is bad?if so how?and is there anyother computers that would work in our trannys?or is there anyother auto tranny that would bolt up and wire up easy(Ex: legacy)...i like auto cause i suck at stick so i wouldnt mind a cheap legacy tranny that helps for 0-60mph...any help would be great thanks

Jim
Old 04-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The Transmission Control Unit TCU is under the dash on the driver side. Stuff has to come off to get to it. Some people have "borrowed" a working TCU to check out that problem. Huck (5spd ) is the only person that talks about Legacy trannies. You would have to get the rear diff also and your car would be faster cause the diff ratio is lower, the engine will rev higher, your speedo may be off (not sure) and there is still some questions about wiring connectors. Other than having your SVX connectors and the Legacy connector visible to match up there is no stated year/ model/ number available to look for. The Leagcy tranny 91-94? will fit and bolt up. It is shorter but a spacer can be made. The only questions are the connectors and TCU. Search around.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:49 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
The Transmission Control Unit TCU is under the dash on the driver side. Stuff has to come off to get to it. Some people have "borrowed" a working TCU to check out that problem. Huck (5spd ) is the only person that talks about Legacy trannies. You would have to get the rear diff also and your car would be faster cause the diff ratio is lower, the engine will rev higher, your speedo may be off (not sure) and there is still some questions about wiring connectors. Other than having your SVX connectors and the Legacy connector visible to match up there is no stated year/ model/ number available to look for. The Leagcy tranny 91-94? will fit and bolt up. It is shorter but a spacer can be made. The only questions are the connectors and TCU. Search around.
I thought I'd field this one,
The early Legacy (90-94)Tranny's will bolt right up to the SVX, and connectors will plug right in, it is NOT shorter ( the manuals are), you will need to get the Legacy Flywheel (flexplate) and Legacy rear diff (must swap rear diff ring and pinion into SVX rear diff as the SVX's LSD rear diff uses different axles).
The speedo Will be correct, as it run off the front diff, which doesn't care what car it's in

i don't think I've seen anybody accually have tranny problems that ended up eing the TCU, but I have one I'd loan you to try if you want, doubt it's a problem, but there's always a first PM me your address if you want to try it.

I think you'll like the Legacy Tranny in your SVX, and it should hold up better the the original, as the lower gears will generate less heat, due to less stress on the internals.

Happy Hunting,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-17-2003, 06:12 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I'm a little confused. The number of the ratio should be higher, indicating a lower gear ratio? Like going from the stock to 3.5 to a 3.91 or 4.11 is lower right?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Oh I was off on the length. I thought I remembered something about the transfer case on the Legacy being shorter and I thought that meant the whole trans was shorter. Sorry and thanks Huck.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Oh I was off on the length. I thought I remembered something about the transfer case on the Legacy being shorter and I thought that meant the whole trans was shorter. Sorry and thanks Huck.
Yeah, on the outside the Legacy tranny is identical to the SVX tranny.

And on the gear ratio's...The bigger the number, the lower the gear ratio....3.54 being the highest offered by Subaru, and 4.44 being the lowest
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 04-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Jimsbaby

Talking Huck??

hey is this a job that anybody could do with alot of time or would you have to have special tools? also so the list of stuff i would need is only legacy90-94 tranny,rear,and the flywheel?and the reason i though it was a computer was due to the fact that all my electronics when out in my car the same time i was having problems with the tranny and i hear that there was a computer of some kind in the actually tranny case i replaced all the other computers already but didnt know there was one in the tranny so is there one in there?still want to do the legacy swap if i can though cause i already have one legacy and loved it
Old 04-17-2003, 05:09 PM

There is no computer in the tranny, it is located piggybacking the ECU under the dash on the driver's side.

As for special tools, if you can change a tranny, you probably have everything you need "Except" I recomend having the rear diff ring and pinion set-up by a professional.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed