Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Facebook

I joined the SVXNation group on Facebook a few months ago and have been fairly active. Also, have been a member of this forum for 15 years. This forum has provided me with both friends and enablers, along with mountains of information about how to expand my SVX experience. It also is an invaluable archive of what folks have tried and succeeded or tried and failed to make their cars better. All of that knowledge is easily available through the search algorithm, and it is naturally organized by topic through the thread mechanism. Maybe I’m just old and out of touch but I find that Facebook doesn’t provide that in-depth information access, storage and retrieval. It’s immediate gratification, with likes and thumbs up, but I can’t seem to retrieve that interesting post that happened 6 weeks ago.

Now, there’s some kind of drama involving an alternate group that I don’t understand, nor care about. Don’t get me wrong, there seem to be some really good people there, but I’m not into the personality contest thing. Over the years, Earle and the other admins have successfully kept that stuff out of this forum.

By the way, have my emerald green back and am driving it. Even though it shares the garage with my 911 Turbo S cabrio, I find that it is the more engaging drive. I missed it these last 4 years. Now a 2 SVX family with ‘95 Brillian Red DD.

The one major thing I’ve gotten from SVXNation is the opportunity to implement the WRX 4-pot, Tribeca rotor brake upgrade, the first successful bolt-on semi-big brake kit I’ve seen.

All of this is by way of saying a thank you to the loyal members of this forum and express the hope that it will endure, even in the face of competition from the more “modern” medium

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold

Last edited by shotgunslade; 06-22-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Re: Facebook

Thanks for the kudos and let me verify a couple things....

When I say "other facebook forum" I was not trying to drum up any drama in regards to the SVX Nation Facebook site. I have no issues with Jamie or the community there. Everything about the SVX World Network is supposed to embrace all aspects of owning, driving, and maintaining an SVX. The only issue I have at all is a Facebook site called the SVX World Network that was created in likeness to this place, and yet I cannot link the forums social network API (application programming interfaces) to the Facebook site claiming to the the SVX World Network because I didn't create it and I don't have administration capabilities there. That is my only complaint. I have and harbor no issues with the former "Black" network or again the SVX Nation on Facebook. It would be selfish of me to limit the information to help others by harboring feelings that would diminish the sharing of information to better the community wants and needs. If I was that narcissistic, I would hope the other officers would ask for my keys.

That being said, the changes and outage is in planning for things to physically move the SVXWN server for yet to be shared reasons. I will go more into this in the coming weeks. Any support I can get on this would be GREATLY appreciated because this transition is seriously life effecting, and in moving the server, will become taxing to my pocketbook. There will be a monthly cost beyond life investment to continued operations beyond July.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope this better addresses my feelings. The facts around the move will come soon.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 PM

Registered SVX

Great points both of you, Thank you Chris for this great forum, I remember when you first talked about the Facebook SVX network page, and tried creating one you could do what you talked about, linking these I have since decided to leave facebook for various reasons some of which Shotgun has touched on, many others for personal reasons having nothing to do with our car community.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Chris - I'm still not sure who are the players and what is the game on Facebook. I briefly visited the SVX World Network page that has a logo identical to this forum, but it seems to have some technical issues. I also was aware of the other forum that existed for a while and was populated to some extent by folks who had been banned here for various reasons. But, maybe I don't need or want to know all the ins and out of this, Just want to talk with folks about their cars and mine. In any event, I hope this forum stays alive and would be willing to contribute to that effort as I think i have in the past. Dan Nall (shotgunslade).

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 06-22-2018, 07:58 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I agree with Dan, and support what Chris has said. I have been a member here since we started and Yahoo before it.
Not interested in the Facebook Nation.

I have posted a lot of information on this site and it is all recoverable, I still like to answer problems as I see them, and will continue to do so.
I will always support the only true SVX site, and like to thank Chris for maintained it for us.
Thanks Chris.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I also have no intention of ever using Facebook Nation. I don't use Facebook and never will. It's not my thing. You do your thing and I'll do mine and if nobody gets hurt, great. The whole world doesn't need to hear about it.
I have noticed that there is a lot less traffic here since FN came to be. This is a sad thing. There are times when I can hear crickets and see tumbleweeds blowing when I visit this site. It didn't use to be like that.
I'm hoping that the good people tire of FN and the politics and personalities that go along with it and return here. There is nothing worse that a site visited by arrogant and ignorant people who hide under a cloak of anonymity. This site has never been like that and I don't think it ever will.

Last edited by Blacky; 06-23-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Far too many of the posts at SVXNation are of the from: “I bought this car because it looked really cool, only a little fender bender at the rear. Anyone know where I can find a tail light? It only cost $900 but the mileage is a little high, 217,000. It won’t shift out of second gear and after it runs awhile it gushes coolant. Also, sometimes the engine bogs down and it dies. And there’s a ratcheting sound from the rear of the car when it turns. Anybody know what I can do? I have no money and no skills.” Also, a lot of notifications of parting out, although that just may be a function of the advancing age of our cars. Having said that, there are some knowledgeable people. I think the 4-pot WRX caliper substitution is a great advance. I’ve had some good conversations with Josh B. And Chris C. And, of course SVXRide is very active there.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 AM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Nothing against any person or site in particular but my general opinion is that Facebook is a sewer, run by people hellbent on exploiting privacy for profit, overrun by people hellbent on exploiting ignorance for personal and political gain.
[/soapbox]

Plus it is difficult if not impossible to have any sort of "thread" discussion there. I find the interface needlessly noisy as well.

What that means is I personally am down for contributing to the continuation of this site. Gofundme page maybe?
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Also in the boat of never going to use Facebook, but the hershe upgrade sounds interesting. Any non Facebook linked information?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

There is a thread on this forum that mentions it. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64220

Front brakes only. It involves 2006 - 2007 WRX 4-pot calipers (standard not Brembo’s), Tribeca rotors (any year), custom spacers to enable the calipers to span the thicker rotors, pins and O-rings from ‘95 Nissan 300ZX calipers (cheap and readily available). The tough part is the custom CNC-milled spacers. I bought them from Josh Bettencourt, an SVXNation regular, who had a batch fabbed by his local machinist based on a design developed by someone else, for $90. Supposedly Jamie Price will be selling a bolt-on kit that includes all of these components in a package, but it is $1200 - $1500, depending on quality of components. I elected to put it together myself, (cheaper than the kit and I could pick my components). So, Stoptech vented, slotted, cryogenic-treated rotors, and Powerstop Trackday carbon-metallic pads, along with NOS WRX calipers. So, all components, for less than $1000. Granted, Jamie’s kit includes SS lines, but I already have that. Now, it’s just bolt it all on. But, to get there you will have to go to Facebook to get the custom spacers.

It definitely fits under 17” wheels and fits under most 16” wheels. OEM wheels may require a 5mm spacer.

Last edited by shotgunslade; 06-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM

I'm also a person who isn't going to join Facebook (if you are not paying for it, you all the product).

What happened to www.svxworldforums.com?

I used to post there, and suddenly it vanished. Pity, since I had a thread where I documented the work I'd been doing on my car.

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Don’t know. Only visited a few times. Some of the mainstays from this forum participated there, but some of the other participants had been banned from this forum for a variety of reasons

Old 06-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

I joined FB SVX Nation to see what was going on, and shortly was dropped. Don't know why, but I am here for the long haul and will continue to support this site and work with Chris closely. I don't like FB and the way it works. Just my take on it.

I have been trying to find who started the other SVXWN Face book site to work with them to be able to link to it. No luck so far.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
There is a thread on this forum that mentions it. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64220

Front brakes only. It involves 2006 - 2007 WRX 4-pot calipers (standard not Brembo’s), Tribeca rotors (any year), custom spacers to enable the calipers to span the thicker rotors, pins and O-rings from ‘95 Nissan 300ZX calipers (cheap and readily available). The tough part is the custom CNC-milled spacers. I bought them from Josh Bettencourt, an SVXNation regular, who had a batch fabbed by his local machinist based on a design developed by someone else, for $90. Supposedly Jamie Price will be selling a bolt-on kit that includes all of these components in a package, but it is $1200 - $1500, depending on quality of components. I elected to put it together myself, (cheaper than the kit and I could pick my components). So, Stoptech vented, slotted, cryogenic-treated rotors, and Powerstop Trackday carbon-metallic pads, along with NOS WRX calipers. So, all components, for less than $1000. Granted, Jamie’s kit includes SS lines, but I already have that. Now, it’s just bolt it all on. But, to get there you will have to go to Facebook to get the custom spacers.

It definitely fits under 17” wheels and fits under most 16” wheels. OEM wheels may require a 5mm spacer.
Thanks for the info
Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
I'm also a person who isn't going to join Facebook (if you are not paying for it, you all the product).

What happened to www.svxworldforums.com?

I used to post there, and suddenly it vanished. Pity, since I had a thread where I documented the work I'd been doing on my car.

Cheers,
Ian.
What happened is the guy that started that forum couldn't afford the fee's, since I have never started a forum I am not sure what is required. And on top of not affording the fee's he alienated anyone that could donate.

Tags
thank you forum facebook