How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Registered SVX
ECU READ important

If you have done the upgrade on your ECU be sure you hot glue the chip in place. Don't ask me how I know this but it will fall out sooner or later if you don't and the car will Sop DEAD where ever it is .
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
11.24:1 E85

Re: ECU READ important

or just properly install it the first go around
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@FAPFab View Post
or just properly install it the first go around
It was in the car for over 3 years without a problem. It was installed per ECUTune's instructions. Over time vibration worked it free.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Good to know. I'll be switching my stage 1 to a stage 2 pretty soon, so good timing guys.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Registered SVX

It doesn't hurt to hot glue the board into the factory socket. The Stage chips 1v1, 1v.1.4, 1v1.5, 1v.2 are still removable if a new stage 3 comes along .
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
It was in the car for over 3 years without a problem. It was installed per ECUTune's instructions. Over time vibration worked it free.
I´ve a ´94 SVX... can I change the chip? will i get more power or more performance? where to buy the chip?
thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 AM
Subaru Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
I´ve a ´94 SVX... can I change the chip? will i get more power or more performance? where to buy the chip?
thanks
Your car most likly does not have a chip currenly installed in the ECU.
But you can install the ECUTune chip, I think it will work with a CA car.
http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage1.htm
You will not gain any peak HP, but you will gain in the lower end power. Its power that you can feel. Just make sure to give the car a day or two to feel the full benifits.

I just looked and I see that 1AV1 is avable, witch would have even more improvments then the 1V5 that my car had.

Last edited by AFBeefcake; 06-23-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

What we need is a sticky with a collection of dyno runs. I would love to see the impact of various upgrades.

1. Chip upgrade on stock car
2. CAI upgrade on stock car
3. Intake upgrade (are these still available?)
4. Fuel injector upgrade
5. MAF upgrade
6. Exhaust upgrade

And various combinations of these.......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Subaru Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
What we need is a sticky with a collection of dyno runs. I would love to see the impact of various upgrades.

1. Chip upgrade on stock car
2. CAI upgrade on stock car
3. Intake upgrade (are these still available?)
4. Fuel injector upgrade
5. MAF upgrade
6. Exhaust upgrade

And various combinations of these.......
MAF and fuel injectors would have to be done at the same time, and only with the use of stage 2.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
MAF and fuel injectors would have to be done at the same time, and only with the use of stage 2.
From what I recall, the stock injectors can deliver more fuel than can be balanced with the max air flow measured by the stock MAF. So one could get something simply by upgrading the stock MAF. I assume that would require a stage 1 chip upgrade but maybe that requires stage 2 as well. So maybe the choices are:

1. Stage 1 chip upgrade
2. MAF and stage 1 chip upgrade
3. MAF and fuel injector and stage 2 chip upgrade
4. CAI upgrade
5. ToMyx Intake upgrade
6. Exhaust upgrade

And various combinations of 4-6 with 1 or 2 or 3.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Subaru Swapper

You cant change the MAF or injectors without reprograming the ECU some how.

Right now the only way to do this is to get ecuTune Stange 2, witch only works with 370CC injectors and a z32 MAF.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
You cant change the MAF or injectors without reprograming the ECU some how.

Right now the only way to do this is to get ecuTune Stange 2, witch only works with 370CC injectors and a z32 MAF.
^ This. The Stage 1 just changes the tuning a bit for the stock MAF and injectors. That said, I'll bet Mike can build a chip that uses the Z32 MAF and the stock injectors (if there was a point). The stock injectors will run out very soon after the stock MAF, so there's really no point.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I have a Canadian SVX and the 1.4 (I think) stage 1 chip installed many years ago. I've never had a problem with it ever falling out (yet) even with the Koni/GC setup driving spring, summer, fall and winter.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Your car most likly does not have a chip currenly installed in the ECU.
But you can install the ECUTune chip, I think it will work with a CA car.
http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage1.htm
You will not gain any peak HP, but you will gain in the lower end power. Its power that you can feel. Just make sure to give the car a day or two to feel the full benifits.

I just looked and I see that 1AV1 is avable, witch would have even more improvments then the 1V5 that my car had.
very nice info AFBeefcake. That is exactly what I was wondering: Why this engine responds slower than my '98 legacy outback at low rpm's? the answer is in the link you just send me. I asked before is there's a way to change the ignition advance timing but nobody answers.
So, if I understand right, I need to buy a socket and the chip from ecutuner if I want the car to be faster in the answers while driving in the city. isn't it?
with the installation of the POWER switch I feel the car the way I wanted, But still feel the problem when I try to pass somebody departing from zero.
What can you tell me from your own experience and from what you've heard after adding this chips to the ECU on the SVX?
Also, what is LIMP mode?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Subaru Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEW GUY View Post
very nice info AFBeefcake. That is exactly what I was wondering: Why this engine responds slower than my '98 legacy outback at low rpm's? the answer is in the link you just send me. I asked before is there's a way to change the ignition advance timing but nobody answers.
So, if I understand right, I need to buy a socket and the chip from ecutuner if I want the car to be faster in the answers while driving in the city. isn't it?
with the installation of the POWER switch I feel the car the way I wanted, But still feel the problem when I try to pass somebody departing from zero.
What can you tell me from your own experience and from what you've heard after adding this chips to the ECU on the SVX?
Also, what is LIMP mode?

The chip and socket come as a kit from ECUtune. Its $219 I think.
Yes, it will add a little bit more get up an go. I think going from the 92 factory map to the 1v1 map was like 15-20 hp gain at the low end and where at like 4 revs later now. ECUtune did have a comparison of the two but its not on there site anymore.

LIMP mode is a mode of the ECU that will run if there is a big problem. I know on the newer subarus this can be coused by bad O2 sensors, MAF, TGV and others. Its basicly a wores case, run the car to get home/ off the road. On a turbo car it would cut the boost to 7 psi and limit the speed to like 20-30 mph.

Last edited by AFBeefcake; 06-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.