Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Superbeast

Oh come on, you were in the market for some new Koni/ GC's anyway right?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I wish!!

There's still more important issues I need to take care of first...like my timing belt (and everything else in that area while I'm at it), front brake pads, possibly losing my bearings (rear)....
Old 05-18-2003, 06:11 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Thats the thing I'v noticed about Subarus. They don't bounce. I,v had shocks so bad the oil is all gone and the shaft is rusting but it didn't bounce. I'v seen others that arn't as bad and don,t really show any sings of being bad untill you take them off. If your car has over 100k on the original struts than I would definitlly replace them.
I have 187k on the original struts and they still don't bounce but my car leans more noticeably in turns than kims. They are in need of replacement but It will have to wait. The car cornered fine at the dragon even with the soft stock ride.

Speaking of no bounce I saw porters car at the dragon this weekend. You can't even do the bounce test - the car does not squat at all when you push on the fender. Greenmarine rode with him to the dragon and I'm sure he'll be posting his impression soon but they both loved the ride.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:27 AM

hey, thanks for the info. i've got my fresh rubber on now, and the ride on a highway is really great. but there seems to be some roughness, still, over the bumps. i suspect it's been this way for a long time and just sorta creeped up on me.

it's possible to push down the front and compress the shocks, perhaps an inch. there's no bounce.

MORE QUESTIONS, PLEASE: 1) should i do front and back? 2) should i go w/OEM or aftermarket, Koni, KYB, etc.?

TIA
rB
Old 05-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Superbeast

1. yes, if there are both original

2. How much do you have to spend?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:52 PM

my funds are unlimited NOT!

what would one bill per wheel do for me?

1bill = $100, of course.

thanks,
rB
Old 05-18-2003, 10:07 PM
Porter

I read above about someone considering the Toyo FZ4s... be very careful with that tire.

They are great when new, a very sporty all-season.

As they wear the rubber tends to get harder and harder, and the grip levels fall significantly.

I had the privelige of being a passenger in a very nice Impreza 2.5RS as it did a very odd low-speed unintentional spinout on a country road... the tires simply can't handle the car anymore after they wear and heat-cycle to a certain point. The compound actually hardens up.

We call the FZ4 the "rolling brick" and avoid it in lieu of far better all-season tires like the Dunlop SP5000 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. I got my 950s for $72 a tire.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Porter

As for the struts, the stock strut is not bad at all with the stock spring assuming everything's working properly.

On the other hand, the Konis are really incredibly good, though you'll never get the full benefit from them without a higher rate spring.

Considering the price of the stock replacement Showas, the Konis are a VERY attractive option... just think, all you need then is some good aftermarket springs and you've got a transformed sports car!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:25 AM
MINEZ BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
As for the struts, the stock strut is not bad at all with the stock spring assuming everything's working properly.

On the other hand, the Konis are really incredibly good, though you'll never get the full benefit from them without a higher rate spring.

Considering the price of the stock replacement Showas, the Konis are a VERY attractive option... just think, all you need then is some good aftermarket springs and you've got a transformed sports car!
porter

how much is the gc setup on your ride
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle
porter
how much is the gc setup on your ride
Parts by themselves were ~$1050. Installation is a big chore. After I move to Atlanta in August I may start assembling the kits as a bolt-in and selling them complete. They would include the strut top mount as well and the strut adjustments preset for the spring rate. I'll have to track down a spare set of stock struts and top hats to do it, but give me some time and I'll see if I can get a few sets built at the end of the summer.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:34 AM
MINEZ BETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

Parts by themselves were ~$1050. Installation is a big chore. After I move to Atlanta in August I may start assembling the kits as a bolt-in and selling them complete. They would include the strut top mount as well and the strut adjustments preset for the spring rate. I'll have to track down a spare set of stock struts and top hats to do it, but give me some time and I'll see if I can get a few sets built at the end of the summer.
any noise in the front or rear suspension?
on the gc, if i call ground control they will know who i mean by porter
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle

any noise in the front or rear suspension?
on the gc, if i call ground control they will know who i mean by porter
If you want to chop your struts open and install it all yourself, go for it. Call Ground Control and ask for Tony, he'll help you out and will know who I am.

If you can wait until August I can probably ship you a completed set ready to bolt in for only a little more money.

I don't have any more noise than I did stock, but I need to replace a few other bushings so your mileage may vary on that one.