Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Codes,codes, and more codes

The other night I finally ran the diagnostics on my '95 L after an intermittent CEL. To my dismay it popped up four codes: both O2, Water Temp Sensor, and code 56 (EGR). I already ordered O2 sensors and wasn't sure what to do about the others.

I was reading another thread and heard that there were two different Water Temperature sensors?? How do I know which one I need? If it is the one that is only $20 on subaruparts.com I will be very happy.

The other question I had was about the EGR system. What other kinds of tests can I run to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks,
Collin
Old 05-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Codes,codes, and more codes

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
The other night I finally ran the diagnostics on my '95 L after an intermittent CEL. To my dismay it popped up four codes: both O2, Water Temp Sensor, and code 56 (EGR). I already ordered O2 sensors and wasn't sure what to do about the others.

I was reading another thread and heard that there were two different Water Temperature sensors?? How do I know which one I need? If it is the one that is only $20 on subaruparts.com I will be very happy.

The other question I had was about the EGR system. What other kinds of tests can I run to pinpoint the problem?

Thanks,
Collin
Collin,
I'd simply replace the O2 Sensors and go from there. Sometimes, the O2 Sensors will trigger multiple codes. When mine were going bad, I not only got the O2 code, but, a crank angle sensor code. Once the O2 Sensor problem was straightened out, the crank angle code went away also.

Once the O2's are in, re-set the diag and drive it for a while to see if you receive any of the other codes. My guess is that some, or all of them, may go away. But, that's just me.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

I was recently getting an EGR (56) code along with a code 11 and 21. The dealer replaced the coolant sensor (the code 21) and it fixed the 21 and 56 codes. He said that the EGR fault commonly gets tripped due to other problems. In your case, probably by the water temp sensor. I would replace that and reset the codes to see if the 56 code comes up again.

If the 56 is the only code, it is probably because of a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses to make sure they are nice and tight (follow the vacuum diagram under the hood).

My code 11 is being caused by bad battery cables. I have had a new set on backorder from 1stsubaruparts.com for two weeks now. Grrrr.

Matt
Old 05-06-2003, 02:48 PM
The Road Less Traveled

I can't stress enough about resetting the ECU or clearing the codes before believing what comes out.

The brains on our car remember faults for as long as wives do... (runs for flame suit)

Once you clear the codes, wait until the next time the check engine light comes on, and then pull the code. Otherwise, you may be replacing parts that are in need of fixing.

Symptoms should match the code as well. i.e. if you are getting O2 sensors, and getting poor mileage, that makes sense. If you're getting water temperature sensor fault, you should see irregular idle or other possibly other engine performance symptoms.

VK

Last edited by vkykam; 05-06-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Thanks for all the input.

I already reset the codes last night and I hope they don't come up. If they do I already ordered O2 sensors and will start with that. I figure going on 100k O2 sensors are likely to go.

The weird part about all of this is that I have never had any symptoms. I have cleared the ECU before (never pulled codes) and the GD (CE) light has come on after that. I just don't want anything to become bigger than it is. Oh well, we will see.