Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-29-2011, 05:35 PM

3rd Oxygen Sensor fails after 10k

So I have replaced the left side/driver side O2 sensor 3 times in 10K miles. Each time it lasts for several months to a year ( don't drive it that much ) then the CEL light will come on and I pull a #37. I am wondering if something is causing it to fail i.e. a fault Cat maybe? Any way to test the sensor?

Thanks, Dust
Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Re: 3rd Oxygen Sensor fails after 10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue94 View Post
So I have replaced the left side/driver side O2 sensor 3 times in 10K miles. Each time it lasts for several months to a year ( don't drive it that much ) then the CEL light will come on and I pull a #37. I am wondering if something is causing it to fail i.e. a fault Cat maybe? Any way to test the sensor?

Thanks, Dust
code 37 does not necessarily mean the o2 sensor itself is bad. Ever. Seriously...

Keith
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Consider the following possibilities:

Check for exhaust leaks
Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)
Check for inlet air leaks
Check the MAF sensor for proper operation

What brand are you using for the replacement?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Our O2 sensors are before the cats, so they don't really factor in. It could be that the O2 sensor on that side is getting fouled up somehow. Maybe running too rich or burning oil?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 PM

Hmm? well I have the usual leaks, the connection is fairly covered in oil, short of that the car is running fine. No notice of burning oil?
The first two were Bosch then I read on here that many were having problems with them so this last time I ordered an off brand.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll have to take a closer look around tomorrow.

Dust
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Well I think I fixed it. I wanted to finish this thread so that it will be here for those with similar problems. I search quite a bit here and find it helpful to read about a resolution.

Upon closer inspection I found a broken vacuum hose on the passenger side going into the intake manifold. Right in front of me. Anyway I cut it down and tied it on with a zip tie and walla, runs great and no check engine light. So now I am going to go buy some new hose and do it right. I’m trying to talk myself into pulling the intake manifold and doing them all but I'd be lying if I said just reading about it scares me.

Dust
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue94 View Post
Well I think I fixed it. I wanted to finish this thread so that it will be here for those with similar problems. I search quite a bit here and find it helpful to read about a resolution.

Upon closer inspection I found a broken vacuum hose on the passenger side going into the intake manifold. Right in front of me. Anyway I cut it down and tied it on with a zip tie and walla, runs great and no check engine light. So now I am going to go buy some new hose and do it right. I’m trying to talk myself into pulling the intake manifold and doing them all but I'd be lying if I said just reading about it scares me.

Dust
Are you talking about the line that plugs into the nipple on the back of the intake manifold on the passenger side of the car? That one takes a really tight bend.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 AM

That's the one. It was so brittle that I couldn'nt even bend it. Love the cheap fixes.

Dust