Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Re: Let's start a west coast tradition!!!!!

Sounds like a great idea. March or October would work. When I was in the camping club in college, we would visit Death Valley at least once a year, but never later than March. By April, temperatures are already in the triple digits, and remember that the 19th century miners who worked there often slept IN Furnace Creek because the temperature didn't drop below 115 at night.
On the other end, the roads can be closed as early as September because of early snowfall.
Two weeks ago, some friends of mine were showing out-of-town guests around Southern California, and took them from Death Valley to Tahoe. They stayed at the Furnace Creek Ranch, had temperatures in the high 80s there, and there was still plenty of snow at the Tahoe/Reno level. They did it in a FWD Toyota Sienna minivan. They carried chains, but never had to use them. They and their guests loved the trip, and neither froze nor baked.
Just as an aside, later that year, I took that same silver SVX to Las Vegas for the SEMA show. It was on that trip that I became determined to own one, even though it took 15 years to do it.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
Just as an aside, later that year, I took that same silver SVX to Las Vegas for the SEMA show. It was on that trip that I became determined to own one, even though it took 15 years to do it.
Paul
Paul - I keep learning more and more about all of the little bits of automotive history you've been a part of. I envy your job!

Back to the matter at hand, this is sounding more and more like a great drive! Terrain changes, climate changes, "driver's roads"......

Not sure if I'd actually be able to make it (that's a very long drive from Seattle, especially for my car), but I'd seriously consider it.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 PM

wow. didn't expect this level of feed back. i initially suggested March because that was when the drive in the article was written. make it like an SVX pilgrimage.

of course we would have to consider heat. my AC is out as well.

i like the idea of using how Reading is organized to plan this trip.

It also sounds like there are already some owners in the area. send me a PM for those who are interested in planning/organizing this.

i am bouncing with excitement of taking a picture of a bunch of SVXi at the same locations as in the article.

bw
Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

That story reminded me of this image from the Road and Track guide!

2001 Audi S8
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Im in !!! And March should be perfect as my trek from the bottom of the 395 to Reno on march 2nd couldnt have seen better weather. It is not hot in the Mojave or Death Valley by local standards around that time (60's - 80's) so barring any major annual increase in global warming it should be great. Hopefully ill have registered mine by then, ive been driving it for a year already

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Keep me posted on this. If you do it by March or earlier, there could be a supercharged 6-speed SVX there. I'm do you transfer out of Las vegas in June of next year, but I would be up for this if it happens before than. It would give you west Coast guys a chance to sample whats been going on.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM

I'm definitely in! My only suggestion is this though. Why wait all year and do it in March? I'm sure it's better down there, but March can be a really nasty weather month in CO, and anyone coming from any farther west than Grand Junction, or even central NM, might have a hard time making that. Besides, we could do it in May and start this year

Don't get me wrong, if you plan it I'll probably go regardless of when you do it.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Just notice, in that shot from the Road & Track book, the second sign in the distance, that says "Next Services 94 miles." That was not a road you tackled lightly before the days of cell phones. Oh, and AyeJay, May in Death Valley means daytime temperatures of well over 100 degrees. I did a trip there in May once, and I don't do heat well. The air conditioning in the RV was on all night as well.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri

Last edited by PaulDexler; 04-24-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added reply to AyeJay
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 AM

Yeah, I figured it would be warm there. You never know what to expect here in March though. Could be 70 degrees, could get 4 feet of snow.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 AM

I like the idea of 2 meets per year - one where we always meet at the same place (like Death Valley to Mammoth) and one where we change the location every year. How's Lake Tahoe right now?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Speaking of having fun... any one ever try highway 49 just north west of Nevada City?
How about 49 between Auburn and Placerville? When I was in kindergarten we were coming back from Lake Tahoe and Dad decided to take 49 since it was way shorter than going all the way to Sacramento on US-50 and then back up to Auburn on I-80. I was in the back seat of Dad's 85 Mercury Marquis (His buddy from work tried to convince him to buy a Subaru, but his vision of Japanese cars had been tainted by his 75 Civic wagon) and Dad was screamin around corners trying to get back to my school for a meeting that evening... well, we ended up being late cuz I all over the back seat
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 04-25-2009, 01:15 PM

May might work out so that we can get as many people coming from west of the Mississippi.

I am not sure how busy mammoth is around Memorial day, but that might be a good day to shoot for. That way, there is a 3 day weekend and people will have plenty of time to get there, hangout, drive and then leave for home.

It be a two pronged event. 1 part will be meeting in Death Valley and going to Mammoth and do the SVX pilgrimage, the other part can be hanging out at Mammoth Lakes and chatting SVX, maybe parts trading/selling and stuff like that.

May of this year might be too soon to do, but we can definately make it happen for next year. Might be able to do a local run in the fall to see how the drive will be like.

Regarding a travelling meet, I am cool with that idea. I will have to depend on location and time, but since this it mostly based on the Death Valley to Mammoth run, let's keep it to that topic.

Once again, any takers in helping 2 organize this event?

BW

Last edited by s'ko; 04-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I'm not familiar with the area, but I'll help as much as I can.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
Speaking of having fun... any one ever try highway 49 just north west of Nevada City? Definitely a fun drive if you like to play around corners... My brother and I ate up the front brakes on my SVX last trip on that road. Was definitely worth though.
yes that is Soooooo much fun!!!!!
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
How about 49 between Auburn and Placerville? When I was in kindergarten we were coming back from Lake Tahoe and Dad decided to take 49 since it was way shorter than going all the way to Sacramento on US-50 and then back up to Auburn on I-80. I was in the back seat of Dad's 85 Mercury Marquis (His buddy from work tried to convince him to buy a Subaru, but his vision of Japanese cars had been tainted by his 75 Civic wagon) and Dad was screamin around corners trying to get back to my school for a meeting that evening... well, we ended up being late cuz I all over the back seat
yes that is a very fun druve it only takes about an hour or less to drive.... but we could do that and a run around all of lake tahoe! that would be a nice drive.

plus its more centered on the west cost!
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂