IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Stock colbalt faster than 92 svx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
Well my friend has some gay ass 240SX turboed out with a big wing and a krylon paint job. He wants to race me cause he says his car is faster....I just say, don't know, don't care. I'm not 16 so I don't race, it's retarded.
"Gay ass", huh? How unfortunate.
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

As said, the newer cobalt SS are very quick stock, If I remember right 0-60 in like 5.7 and quarter mile right around 14 flat. Pretty quick econobox for about 18k. They were bragging about how it was faster than a Vette, an 89 Vette that is
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Yeah ok.. It's a small event at work and we don't have lights, we have flags.. It's on a road that leads nowhere because it's a future build site. Again, closed circut and possible sponsored event.. I don't street race, ot knows I drive slow, lol or around the speed limit, rather. I want to be a cop and I'm not letting a 1:00 event of driving ruin that. If it makes you feel better I'll even wear a helmet and elbow pads...
Be sure tell all the people in the general area that you will be breaking the law and ask them to wear protective gear when its going down on teh s7r337z!! Also when you get locked up for it, might be a good idea to have knee pads on hand. Flags??? Is this p1nks y0? Seriously, take this discussion elsewhere.
Tom
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
So someone has a (I'm guessing stock) colbalt with a scoop and is posative they can beat a 1992 SVX (almost stock) and I'm curious if it's true.
There are minivans that can blow your SVX into the weeds from a standing start. So what?

Buy yerself a Camaro and jack it up in back and put some glasspacks on it and you can noisily and conspicuously burn rubber in the McDonald's parking lot with the best of 'em.

dcb
Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
There are minivans that can blow your SVX into the weeds from a standing start. So what?
dcb
Very true, Minivans nowadays have some balls.

Our old 89 chevy astro van could do donuts on a dry parking lot
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

The 08+ Cobalts SS is a 2.0 turbo motor now, 270 hp with a no lift shift transmission, I think they even have brembos on the front. It's the worlds fastest front wheel drive car, they even tested it on the Nurburgring. If its one of those I would stay far, far away. I've even considered buying the new four door one as a daily driver, they're barely 23k brand new.

The older ones make way less power but with some mods they get faster than you'd think.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Alright, pretty much answered my question. He's been saying he can beat me and his little cavalier friends agreed so I just wanted an opinion from the "professionals" of the svx. The event would be just for fun and starting sometime in the spring. Infospherix is hosting it thanks to active network and they're setting up a "fair type" settig for the kids too. Local race cars (basiclly older monte carlos) will be attending as well, that is, if the plan goes forward. They just sent some papers out about it last week asking each of the supervisors opinion so I turned in my idea and they liked it and may go forward with it. just wanted to know if I should participate at all cause this is the type of guy that if you prove him right he'll never shut up about it.

I think I got the input I needed and won't bother with this thread anymore cause it's bothering the suspicious people who seem to have lost all faith in todays youth. I see your reasoning guys, sorry if I upset you.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 03-06-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

get a 125 shot of nitrous....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

OR

sell the SVX to someone else.... and buy a "colbalt"

Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'm not in this for speed or I wouldn't tell everyone that I plan on having this car for well over 15 years. I love an svx because of it's timeless design and the way she moves. I do plan on giving her a face lift and maybe a super charger so when a freind says I don't, I actually do. I never plan on selling my svx and if I would it wouldn't be for a chevy.. Maybe another subaru. I'm thinking about getting the resistor mod and just going there to rev my engine. As it turns out you may have to pay to compete and I don't like spending money lol.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
As said, the newer cobalt SS are very quick stock, If I remember right 0-60 in like 5.7 and quarter mile right around 14 flat. Pretty quick econobox for about 18k. They were bragging about how it was faster than a Vette, an 89 Vette that is
NO! That means GM will kill it like they killed the Fiero since the redeisgned Fiero was expected to be faster than the Vette as well No wonder GM will be out of business in 10 years.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
The 08+ Cobalts SS is a 2.0 turbo motor now, 270 hp with a no lift shift transmission, I think they even have brembos on the front. It's the worlds fastest front wheel drive car, they even tested it on the Nurburgring. If its one of those I would stay far, far away. I've even considered buying the new four door one as a daily driver, they're barely 23k brand new.

The older ones make way less power but with some mods they get faster than you'd think.

i would think the base model Cobalt would give an SVX a challenge, although Freeman is fitted with dimpled/slotted rotors and HID lights, so its hard to say.

SVX: its not a drag car.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Registered SVX

remember GM/s Buick Grand National. That was the fastest stock production car at the time, easily beating all corvettes of the time. Corvette drivers got pissed, and went and sold their Vettes to get the GN. Then, GM dropped GN after 3 years, so they could increase Vette sales again.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
He's been saying he can beat me and his little cavalier friends agreed...
Hooray for the J-car crew.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

A SVX with the stock gearing is NOT a quick 1/4 mile car......but bet it has a higher top speed
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"