SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Winter Storage dilemma

OK here's my dilemma. I'm sure it's the same one many of you have. I have a very nice 94 SVX that is close to mint as far as I am concerned. I don't really want to drive it during our salty, sandy cdn winters. I have, for the most part, use of my wife's Legacy over the winter but it's not ideal. My choices are
A) to park it in the driveway for a couple of months (just the worst part of our winter)
B) Park it without a cover or buy a cover for it.
C) Store it in a storage facility in the area for about $75 a month.
D) Just drive it, get it oil sprayed and keep it as clean as possible all winter....
OR put it in storage and buy a nice little 92 Pearly I looked at on the weekend and use it for the winter and spend next summer fixing her up.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated especially the pros and cons of using a cover vs just leaving the car out to the elements.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I know thy do the oil spraying in the salty parts to prevent rust...but oil tends to decintegrate rubber...meaning all the protective rubber undercoating will deteriorate and fall off, and all your bushings will quickly go to ****. Id park it in the driveway, covered, for the worst few months of winter
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Just drive it, or park it in the driveway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the underbody of the SVX coated with several pounds worth of zinc which is the reason our 15-y.o. japanese cars don't have a 'bottom window' like most other 15-y.o. jap. cars - I know my car has been a NJ daily driver through many a winter and there isn't a spot of rust, in fact, the only rust i've ever seen on an SVX is typically front fenders, above the line where the fiberglass parts skirts are, or from lack of accident repair.

Parking it in the driveway will save it from the salt and sand your worried about though
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM

If it was me, and I could, I'd park it in driveway with a cover, AND buy the 92 Pearly for winter driving. Nothing wrong with a Pearl for winter and another SVX for summer...who knows, you may fall in love all over again
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
All the sheet metal on the svx is zinc galvanized....The underbody has further protection with the rubber undercoating
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
75 bux a month... I dunno how winter is over there... but I wouldn't risk a hail storm...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

It'll rot nearly as fast (sometimes faster if left sitting outside as movement allows water to get pushed out of the deep dark holes it crawls into) then it will driving it on salty roads. Especially if your driveway isn't paved!

I'm not a big fan of outside covers either as wind, dirt, water etc definately find their way through.

If $75 for 4 months (give or take of course) will keep it inside and you can afford it then I'd go that route. Might even wanna look around to share a space with someone else. The 20x25 spaces are probably $100.

Rubber is easily replaced, rusting inside out is not easily fixed. If you're gonna drive it keep her Exxon Valdezed!