Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 AM

wheel bearings

How long should wheel bearings last between replacements?
I had all four wheel bearings replaced shortly after I purchased the car in 1999, around 66,000 miles on it.

I now have around 120K miles on it, and I am starting to hear the rumblings again. The car is not a daily driver so I am no hurry to get it done, but it feels like I just had them replaced.

Is this an average amount of time between replacements, or is this a sign that my suspension should be looked at as well?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM

My teal SVX needed a left-rear wheel bearing (badly) when I bought the car @<105,000 miles. The next pair (one from Subaru, the other from NAPA)lasted some 40,000 miles before the Suby side started to complain. The mechanic was dismayed.

Recently had the fronts replaced on the silver. I figure this is just going to be part of the routine.

dcb
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Old Guy

Poor workmanship is most often the major culprit in premature failure of SVX wheel bearings. A mechanic who ignores instructions, who takes short-cuts and uses improper tools will contribute to bearing failure. Find a mechanic who lays out a copy of the factory shop manual (with TSBs) and follows the step-by-step instructions, one who lays out the proper tools in advance with no air-wrench in sight, one who first takes the new bearing and washes out the packing grease.....etc. Demand that the work be done right. Your wheel bearings will last a lot longer.
Preston