Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
No, because a stock Mustang engine makes more power than one of those. Also I assume you're referencing fast and furious 3, in which they used a rb20 engine not an sr20.. but anyways we're not talking about swapping out V8's for riceburner engines, the thread discussion is the opposite.
Exactly, its the opposite. I personally would not put a riceburner engine in a classic muscle car, nor would I put a modern muscle car engine in a riceburner GT car. But thats just my opinion

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
TheSTig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
230 hp isn't enough for what exactly?
To go very fast?

New freaking HONDA ACCORDS have 240hp. Most cars today have more power than our 'sports' car. I like how smooth the engine is, but it isn't all that fun to drive.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
230 hp isn't enough for what exactly?
Fun. I know personally that the SVX is a slug. I like my teal for a daily, has enough get up and go to be a good street car and keep up with th pace of traffic. My silver on the other hand is my "fun" car which means it will not have 230hp ever again... Sorry man but I love these cars and I wouldn't want to drive anything else. So, I will do what I want to it to make it what it should be to me.

To all others thinking about swapping engines in. Get a grip!! Your Ls1 swap will cost you over 10k when you are done. I highly suggest you contact Longassname for some more power for half the price. Unless you are EXTREMELY good at fabricating precision subframe mounts you are going to spend a lot of money having a professional do it the first time around or tearing what you did to pieces and redoing it

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSTig
To go very fast?

New freaking HONDA ACCORDS have 240hp. Most cars today have more power than our 'sports' car. I like how smooth the engine is, but it isn't all that fun to drive.
And new freaking Suzukis have like 98hp, what's your point?

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Fun. I know personally that the SVX is a slug. I like my teal for a daily, has enough get up and go to be a good street car and keep up with th pace of traffic. My silver on the other hand is my "fun" car which means it will not have 230hp ever again... Sorry man but I love these cars and I wouldn't want to drive anything else. So, I will do what I want to it to make it what it should be to me.

To all others thinking about swapping engines in. Get a grip!! Your Ls1 swap will cost you over 10k when you are done. I highly suggest you contact Longassname for some more power for half the price. Unless you are EXTREMELY good at fabricating precision subframe mounts you are going to spend a lot of money having a professional do it the first time around or tearing what you did to pieces and redoing it

Tom
I agree, the SVX could be a little quicker to be more fun, and I think LANs upgrades are great (hell, I've got the Stage 1), but to go as far as an engine swap? I don't think that's really necessary...

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 PM
building more AK47's

Why not stick with a Subaru engine (STI, 2.5 twin turbo etc) and at least keep it simple
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Maniac modifier

At that point you might as well modify the EG33 and it will cut down on the cost of buying a new engine

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:

Tom
The fabricating and custom work would make the car have atleast a year of downtime. But we all know 10k isnt all that expensive when we are talking about getting a stage 3 and swapping in a STI 6 speed. Id rather spend the 10k on a ls1 but i cant afford the downtime on the car because of more reason than one.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Maniac modifier

I did mine for under 10k... 3300 for the trans and all components needed and 6500 for the blower... 9800... Don't forget you need to get a trans...rear....axles(that fit)... rig up the shift linkage/X-member/engine cradle/wiring for ECU/ exhaust/ Find somewhere to put that annoying LS1 intake... Dude you are talking about a 2yr project at least. I can have a 6mt and the stage 3 installed and running in less than 2 weeks

Tom
Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM

I have an LS1 and a SVX... I dont mind taking a few measurements if you need. The LS1 is out of the firebird atm or I can take measurements off of an LS6 block I have lying around. Just incase anyone is curious that is.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
I did mine for under 10k... 3300 for the trans and all components needed and 6500 for the blower... 9800... Don't forget you need to get a trans...rear....axles(that fit)... rig up the shift linkage/X-member/engine cradle/wiring for ECU/ exhaust/ Find somewhere to put that annoying LS1 intake... Dude you are talking about a 2yr project at least. I can have a 6mt and the stage 3 installed and running in less than 2 weeks

Tom

Oooh tom's getting back into the game... that's a nice list of toys you got there
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87f383
I have an LS1 and a SVX... I dont mind taking a few measurements if you need. The LS1 is out of the firebird atm or I can take measurements off of an LS6 block I have lying around. Just incase anyone is curious that is.
I would actually like to know the heigth of the LS1 from bottom of the oil pan to top of the intake.....just to see how it compares to the EG33.

I think the biggest issue on that swap would be the main engine cross member, as you'd be moving the motor rearward from the EG33 location, and the main crossmember would probably be in the way.....THAT would be a hard Mod to work around.

I love the FLat 6....but I love old muscle cars too....combineing the two sounds like a fun project to me....I wouldn't want to cut up a nice SVX for it, but a beater SVX with a bad motor/tranny...sure why not.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I would actually like to know the heigth of the LS1 from bottom of the oil pan to top of the intake.....just to see how it compares to the EG33.

I think the biggest issue on that swap would be the main engine cross member, as you'd be moving the motor rearward from the EG33 location, and the main crossmember would probably be in the way.....THAT would be a hard Mod to work around.

I love the FLat 6....but I love old muscle cars too....combineing the two sounds like a fun project to me....I wouldn't want to cut up a nice SVX for it, but a beater SVX with a bad motor/tranny...sure why not.

Bellhousing flange to:
- front of timing cover - 22"
- front of crank pulley - 26"
- front of water pump - 28"
- front of throttle body - 24 1/2" (Vette acessory drive is 3/4" shorter IIRC)

Center of crank to:
- bottom of fbody pan - 8" (Vette pan is 1/2" shorter but a few inches wider)
- top of intake manifold - 16 1/2"

Overall width including exhaust manifolds - 26"

Deck height (crank to deck) - 9.250"
Head height (deck to valve cover) - 4.732"

Width of pan rails 10 1/2"

Hopefully that will help you out some.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
have fun with wiring if you go with the LS1, we have them in 2 cars and soon to be more, and I will flat out tell you its a pain in the ass to wire up, better off going with the simpler system with the LT1, I know the ZZ502 Ram Jet HO is a pain in the butt, but nothing is as tedious and a headache as the LS1.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
have fun with wiring if you go with the LS1, we have them in 2 cars and soon to be more, and I will flat out tell you its a pain in the ass to wire up, better off going with the simpler system with the LT1, I know the ZZ502 Ram Jet HO is a pain in the butt, but nothing is as tedious and a headache as the LS1.
speartech.com
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns

1987 Pontiac Formula 350