Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Its a Classic!

v8 swap idea

I just put a low mileage engine in my car so this project would be far off if it ever did happen. Anyway ive been tossing around the idea of a lt1/ls1 swap into the svx. Esp with gas the way it is its possible to find lt1/t-56 for under 3 grand and ls1/t-56 for under 4 grand. Im thinking an R230 rear from a 300zx TT and a custom driveshaft. motor mounts and tranny x-member would have to be custom. Universal autometer gauges for the cluster. Of course AWD would be lost but 250rwhp with a stock lt1 would be nice and we all know about the potential.

Id like to hear everyones opinions. The 4k or so it would cost me to put in a sti 6-speed has me a little naseous and looking for another option. And I want a manual that would hold a decent amount of power and be able to keep the amazing looks and comfort of my SVX
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM

well the v-8 is a much taller engine. the engine is also heavier and longer. I dont think the unibody could handle the weight and torque from a V engine as opposed to a boxer engine. The car will also handle differnently.
Would probabaly be more prudant to turbo and/or supercharge the car.

nipper
Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 AM

Registered SVX
I say go for it.

Lexus 4.0V8 is a nice engine. There's kits for the W58 boxes, leave the standard rear end in...custom mounts, tailshaft etc.

Height might be a problem, as the engine bay is quite shallow...get measurements first.

The body will be fine...the weight you lose in putting a RWD box in (eg W58 compared to the 4WD 4EAT), will offset the engine weight increase...all though I'd reckon the Lexus 4.0V8 would not be that much heavier.

Would also need to think about engine management...then miscellaneous things like AC, cruise, PS (custom hoses) etc...

Would be cool though. A mate here in Australia has whacked one of these Lexus engines in his GT4 (All Trac Celica to you guys)...then if that wasn't enough, he twin turbo'd it!

M
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Its a Classic!

i know ford v8s are very tall engines but I think a ls1/lt1 wouldnt be much taller than the eg33. If I was concerned with weight the ls1 would be an option....i think you would actually save weight.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Go for an LS1 swap man.. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but don't have the money. If you custom build a hood scoop that should take away the height problems, and those engines aren't much heavier. What you'll gain in engine weight you'll lose in tranny weight from the 4eat to T56.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:17 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Just my $.02

The SVX is a uniquely designed car, its a fairly unique setup in that not many sporty coupes have AWD, it has a unique and very well designed engine. You're planning to eliminate 2 of those things.

If you were worried about having raw hp, you probably should have bought something else from the start.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Its a Classic!

yea its just something I was considering. Ill prolly go through with the 6mt swap within the next year. I agree with the raw power and another car comment, but even a muscle car head cant deny the looks, interior, and comfort of the svx
Old 06-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
svx's have more luxurious interiors than corvettes.. there's a reason they don't cost as much as other 400hp cars. Having a 400hp rwd SVX would be much better than a 240hp one with 90/10 "awd"
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Its a Classic!

is it really 90/10 i thought it was more like 70/30 or 60/40?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
is it really 90/10 i thought it was more like 70/30 or 60/40?
Oh no, here we go again . . .

Do a search, there have been a few discussions on this point.

Dan
Old 06-25-2006, 01:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
to be honest with you its not very hard to beat corvette as far as luxuary goes... i hate the interiors in those cars... i hate how litte room you have EVERY WHERE and i HATE HOW NOISEY IT IS!
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-25-2006, 02:13 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
I thought about making a RWD SVX too but ill wait for someone else to go trew all the headache, blood, sweat, custom this this and that, no car for 2 years, trial and error crap first. ..let us know how it goes

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Oh no, here we go again . . .

Do a search, there have been a few discussions on this point.

Dan
Well after about 20 minutes of reading ive come to the conclusion that theres alot misinformation and confusion in everythread about torque split. The consensus seems to be that its 90/10 unless there is a loss of traction then it goes to 50/50. Since you seem to know for sure and there are about 5 different "right answers" when i search, why dont you just tell me.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
Back to my suggestion...I was also thinking about it and you'll just end up with a better looking Corvette or SC400.

However, on the theme of the Lexus V8, there was a AWD setup for this engine released in a JDM Aristo...now keeping the AWD, and then having that motor...that smells like fun to me!!!

Matt

Oh...and I don't know what the torque split is on that setup.!!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 PM
building more AK47's

Why not use a grand national engine(shorter block lengthwise) has much potential and you could set it back farther in the engine bay. Engine would fit but wiring all this together would suck.