Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-05-2004, 09:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Another autocross...

...another crushing defeat for the Justy. Well, sorta.

See, I took myself out of 'novice' because they were alwayus bumping H-stock novice in with every other stock novice group. That's fine, because I've beaten guys with Boxsters on straight time, but I've never beaten my friend with the Impulse RS. I was getting sick of being beaten by him, so I figured I's just go into regular H-stock and get beaten by somebody else.

Which I did. A few weeks ago I took 3rd out of a four-car H-stock class. I wasn't too far behind, and the guys I got beaten by were really, really experienced.

Then yesterday they actually left H-stock novice by themselves. I would have won that class by a good two seconds. Damn it.

Instead I got beat by some guy in an Eclipse (why the hell is that in H-stock) by - get this - eight seconds.

Ow.

This guy was beating the STis and Evos on straight time, and took FTDI.

I felt like I drove pretty well again, but I know there was still room for improvement. Not eight seconds' worth, but maybe a couple. The Justy's simply not that fast. There was a very high-speed section that I'm sure I lost a lot of time in. Plus it was starving out of fuel in two high-speed right turns. Argh. I have to take a look at the fuel pump - the left pickup must not be working correctly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Another autocross...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
The Justy's simply not that fast.
Understatement of the day, huh?

I forgot - the highlight of my day was riding in a Hayabusa-powered Westfield Super 7 replica on a fun run.

Wow.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

That's awesome! Carving up the AutoX cones in the Justy. Those Eclipses can be deadly - was it a DSM or a '00+ model?

A Hayabusa powered Super 7 replica?! Must've been a wild ride...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Glad ya had a good time. Even though you lost to a DSM. If I were you I'd take a good look at that car as in order to remain stock he would have to stay with the 14 inch wheels and stock suspension. Since it is the DSM 8 or 16v non turbo that is in your class my guess is that some where along the line upgrades have been made. If either the wheels or suspension have been done. You just got rid of that headache.

I spend part of my afternoon putting new plugs and a new coil on my XT6. I'm currently in 3rd in my class locally but had I not misclassed myself the first morning into G stock I'd be 1st by points. I have a decent shot so long as I can come up with 1 or 2 first places. My biggest issue is that even with my Falken Azenis 195/60r14s I can't seem to get enough traction. Other than that I'm decent considering I've got a good 70k on virtually everyone else that runs reguarly.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:04 PM

Registered SVX
It was a second-gen Eclipse RS. THe guy did have V700s on stock wheels, but I don't know about the suspension.

I am very suspicious, though, that he did something else to it. I would expect be be beat badly by some cars in H-stock - but not by 8 seconds. I don't suck that badly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2004, 05:29 PM

So they were steel wheels? Remember the wheel must stay the same diameter. I think (someone who knows DSMs a little better will chime in I'm sure) that the 8v and 16v only came with the covers on the steelies so chances are if they went with aftermarkets or an upgraded DSM wheel it isn't the same size. I also find it hard to believe that he would toast you by such a time and virtually everyone else in a el cheapie DSM but anything is possible I suppose. I wouldn't go out of your way to get the guy or gal out of stock but my bet is on that he's done something as it is just as cheap to replace parts on his car with a more upgraded DSM so why wouldn't he do it when replacing things. I'd just keep a close eye out for anything. Remember he's the one who's cheating. Just because at the local level it is pretty much self regulating that doesn't mean it is right.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 PM

Registered SVX
Well, I'm not certian he's cheating, but I am suspicious.

The wheels weren't steelies, but I have seen 14-inch alloys on Eclipse RSes before.

Anyway, the guy was from Tennessee and I guess he shows up in IL only about once a year. Maybe that's his game - he tries to avoid running in one place for too long.

Or he's trying to find somebody worthy.

I don't know. Even my friend with the Eclipse GS-T, who runs in STX because of his LSD and suspension mods, isn't as fast as STis and Evos like that guy was. And my friend usually wins his class - he's very fast.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Another autocross...

Quote:
... it was starving out of fuel in two high-speed right turns. Argh. I have to take a look at the fuel pump - the left pickup must not be working correctly.
FYI: I looked into the fuel issue and it seems that the Justy's pump and pickup are on the left side of the tank. That's why it starves out of fuel on high-speed left-handers and why I can run out of fuel with 2 gallons left in the tank.

Not the answer I was looking for, because it means that this isn't something I can fix. I just have to autocross it with a lot of fuel in the tank.

I think I observed that it was getting worse at every event because I'm getting noticably faster. I've changed my driving style, so I'm taking those turns at increasingly higher speeds.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Another autocross...

Quote:

I just have to autocross it with a lot of fuel in the tank.

I think you may be suprised how much better that makes her handle. I can turn about a 1/3 of a sec better with a 3/4 full or more tank then I can with a gallon in the XT as it handles much better! You have FI right so an aftermarket fuel pump wouldn't be the answer.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Another autocross...

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I think you may be suprised how much better that makes her handle. I can turn about a 1/3 of a sec better with a 3/4 full or more tank then I can with a gallon in the XT as it handles much better! You have FI right so an aftermarket fuel pump wouldn't be the answer.
It's EFI, yeah. As for 'ballasting' the rear, the 3 extra gallons of fuel I'm going to have to run with aren't going to make enough of a difference. There's no weight back there to begin with.

The Justy is also, as I have said above, totally gutless and the less weight I can hinder it with the better. I have considered adding ballast to the spare tire well, since the back end gets so friggin' loose under hard braking (I can really only brake hard in a straight line), but I just don't want to carry the weight around so I deal with it.

Speaking of the back end getting loose, somebody else running in H-stock had the following solution. He told me I should try doing my runs with the e-brake pulled up by a notch or two to 'keep the back end planted.' I haven't tried it. If you ask me, it sounds like a recipe for a spin. The guy was pretty nice, and I really don't think he was trying to mislead me, but I also don't think it's a good idea in a car whose back end is so loose under braking already. Any opinions on this?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another autocross...

Quote:
Any opinions on this?
I would think that's just going to slow you down.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another autocross...

I agree. Also rally racers use the parking brake to kick-out the rear-end in tight corners...not sure why his results are different??!!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-09-2004, 12:28 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another autocross...

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Well, the idea isn't to lift up on the e-brake hard enough to actually engage it - just so that the pads are closer to the drum so when I apply the foot brake they'll 'catch earlier.'

But Chike's concern is exactly what I'm thinking. I've practiced handbrake turning on snow and gravel, and I know full well what too much rear brake bias will do to a car. What's why I think the guy's a little full of it.

But it's always possible that the idea has merit, so I didn't want to just excuse it out of hand.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another autocross...

Quote:

He told me I should try doing my runs with the e-brake pulled up by a notch or two to 'keep the back end planted.' I haven't tried it. If you ask me, it sounds like a recipe for a spin. The guy was pretty nice, and I really don't think he was trying to mislead me, but I also don't think it's a good idea in a car whose back end is so loose under braking already. Any opinions on this?
I agree, seems like a recipe for a spin if it actually does add bias to the rear brakes. I'm wondering if it would actually add bias though. If there is proportioning valve for front/rear hydraulic pressure, then it seems to me that notching the ebrake without contacting the brake surface would be more like adjusting out free play.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hayabusa - wahoo!

Quote:

Understatement of the day, huh?

I forgot - the highlight of my day was riding in a Hayabusa-powered Westfield Super 7 replica on a fun run.

Wow.
That must have been a fun ride...there were a couple of Hayabusas running at the test'n'tune session at the local drag strip last Friday and they were consistently in the 9 second range for the 1/4 mile (at around 150 mph!). I think I'd have to change my pants if I ever went that fast on a motorcycle!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: