IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Every member please check in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Yeah.. that's exactly what we like, people buying an SVX to slaughter it. Welcome.
If you would like to go through the repair and inspection process to get the car a CT Salvage Title, be my guest.

PM me and we can work out a price.

Other-wise I'm going to take this car and help others keep their cars on the road, while embracing a Subaru swap that isn't all that common around here.

Cheers.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

If it's broken beyond reasonable repair, it's broken, agreed.
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Subaru Parts Guy

Registered SVX

Hey all,

New owner checking in. I've been collecting and building Subarus for several years now, but just acquired my first SVX. It's a 1994 LSI model in Barcelona Red. I believe it was previously owned by a member here. I'll be sure to post the VIN and information soon.

Love this forum so far.
Jim in Raynham, MA
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Welcom Jim.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Registered SVX

Howdy Folks. Old Davy here, the lucky new owner of CanadianMike's 1997 SVX.

I well remember the SVX when it was introduced in Canada in 1992. It knocked my style & technology socks off and I swore I would have one some day. Over the years since I have had several Subarus culminating in my 2006 Newport Blue Outback XT, which I had lowered by the dealership on OEM Legacy GT suspension - to regain the 'locked on rails' handling.

Thoroughly devoted to the Boxer engine and Subaru's quirky frameless windows for that sleek edge-to-edge greenhouse glass, and aircraft quality build (pre 2010) every rare time I would spot an SVX the want juices would start to flow again - but you know how life just keeps keepin' on...
But at my age the Bucket List begins to take on a casual urgency and hell, ya can't take it with you when you fall off your perch, so...

The wee town of Stratford Ontario is fortunate to have a Subaru Dealership - SASS - and occasionally over the years an SVX or two would appear on the Used Lot. The owner Iqball has two sons that grew up with an SVX in the family and they would collect up parts cars to keep one running. There's been a red one, a white one, a black one and recently, a Laguna Blue one - all pre-1995. Also a rusted out black 1992 with a gutted interior & no engine hiding in the weeds back of lot.
Three months ago, I had a look at the 1993 Blue one priced at $4500 but it was in such rough & rusted shape I knew it was a project outside my interests as I approach retirement. Also had those Barbarella passive seatbelt restraints. That was enough to set my resolve to find me a 1996/97 version, if I could.

Just for kicks I did a google search which led to the superb 1997 Black LSi only 90 minutes away that Canadian Mike was keen to sell. I inquired and got nothing but great honest vibes from him and when we met up a week later halfway between our homes in Brantford for a hiway test drive and inspection I was hard pressed to contain my WOW! reaction.
Sealed the deal, met up 11 days later and drove the car back to Stratford on July 23, possibly one of this summer's hottest muggy days...with no AC. (condenser later proved to have a big hole punched in it from a road rock)
First order of business was to diagnose the AC problem and engine light always on. SASS Service Manager Rob is a straight forward honest guy, btw. He knows I know almost as much about Subaru's as he does so he's never tried to pull wool on Old Davy. He also knows I am ready to pay whatever it takes to reasonably repair anything I can't myself.
So, he sourced a new OEM Condenser that should be here from Arizona in a few days. The rest of the AC plumbing and Compressor are like new - the pre-charge vacuum procedure will clear the evaporator and lines. New O-rings, of course.
The Mechanics at SASS are also a great bunch who speak my engineer's language and they too marvel at the superb condition this maintained SVX is in.
Mike had replaced (but kept) the Airbox with a cone filter and a new MAF. The engine light was always on sending the code for a right O2 sensor.

I'll mention here that deep diving research in the Forum Archives led me to downloading the entire 1993 and 1997 Dealership Technical Manuals. (I have almost finished printing the whole thing for future reference)
On a now educated hunch I put the airbox back in, got a new paper filter at JiffyLube (also managed by an ardent Subarunian) and after a few days of gentle ECU relearning driving, the engine light went out and has stayed out since.
Turning my attention to other quibbles, I removed and serviced the stuck antenna and it now retracts fully again.
Went over the interior with Mr Clean Magic Eraser and toothbrushes. Blotted some light stains from the Escaine as directed and there's not a mark or blemish to be seen.
Underhood was so clean a dry brushing brought up the insulation lining nap (free of any crusty stains as one usually finds) and the gleam of the engine bay with a few swipes with a damp cloth.
Ordered the Doctor Colorchip kit from Florida (which was on my doorstep duty and taxes free in 3 days) and set to slow work on the clearcoat's minor 'white' scratches and major road rash chips. (I find repeated applications of the Dr Colorchip does successfully bring the surface up to clearcoat level if you are patient and diligent).
One more cosmetic correction needed attention. Mike had cleared the front corner lamps but this look is not to my taste. I considered getting the lamps from the black junker in the weeds at SASS and inquired. They wanted $100 each and they would need polishing.
That night I went a-googling again and discovered the JDM spec lamps which have no North American orange triangle inserts. They simply continue the transparent sweep of the headlights. Found a salvaged pair on eBay from Japan for $125 w $30 shipping and they are on their way here.
I must thank Mike for his taste in alloys. The car came with winter and summer sets with rubber and imho look better than the SVX alloys.

Thanks Mike, for a super transaction and putting this Dreamship in my garage.

Did I say it was fast? Last weekend I drove over to Grand Bend on a shakedown cruise. With the police presence on our roads I have become used to setting the cruise control and making my sleeper way in the Outback XT wherever I go. As I did with the sleek SVX. On a hilly valley back country 2-lane I got stuck behind a transport truck barely pulling 70 in a 90 kph posting. Clear to pass I floored it. Rock steady acceleration pinned me to the seatback. When I pulled back into my lane I was astonished to see the speedometer at 189 kph (~118 mph). That would have been a minimum $2000 fine and seizure. Needless to say I was back on cruise control for the rest of the drive but with a big smirk plastered on my face.
"50+km/hr over (Stunt Driving/Speed Racing) = 6 points + immediate 7 day licence suspension and car impoundment + up to 2 year additional license suspension upon conviction. Monetary fine from $2000 to $10,000."

One more thing. I obviously had to get new plates at the MTO registration office and was concerned that whatever was top of the pile might turn out to have 'bad' number & letter combinations. I was sure I was gonna have to spring $250 for vanity plate replacements.
Nope, first plate that came up couldn't be more perfect.
First segment - BPCA (in my mind Blackberry Playbook CAnada - yes I'm a RIM fan and an investor)
Second segment - has two 7's and a 3 - my lucky numbers.

So, that's my introduction. Once I get the AC sorted and those new corner lamps in I'll be posting pictures of my Elroy Jetson Edition Blackberry Rocketcar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX iphone 1 post.JPG (322.0 KB, 467 views)
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Hello there Old Davy, welcome to the forum.

I used to work for SASS, back in 2005. My experience with them was quite different from yours. There was a different service manager back then (who was also a pretty cool fella), but Iqbal was horrible to work for, and the other mechanics were horrible to work with. The kids were spoiled brats that beat the crap out of the SVXes that Iqbal gave them to drive when they were home from university in the summer.

I made the unfortunate mistake of buying one of them. It was a black 1992 with gold wheels; perhaps you remember it. It's now rusting in my driveway as a parts car for my other one. I had it in because of persistent transmission problems which they refused to fix, even though it was under warranty. They got Mo (who isn't a licensed mechanic, BTW) to "fix" the binding diff by driving the piss out of it.

I would steer well clear of them if I were you.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for your unvarnished take, Ron. I was being diplomatic.
I got Iqbal's number early on - The Mrs and his boy's, too. In 2005 I was driving a black 1998 Legacy GT wagon. Cognizant of the disconnect between the Sales Floor and Service Departments I would set up my own little tests when the car was in for some minor service maintenance, such as loosening a few bolts and other minor things that should be obvious in the course of service. When SASS failed a few of my 'tests' (lost or missing snap fasteners that were there when I brought the car in and again, loose bolts, caught putting an old part back in when it was supposed to be replaced) I went in and had a private chat with Iqbal and Service Manager about the future of any service with them. I also make a point of meeting the shop floor mechanics out back on their smoke breaks.
Since then I have had no difficulties. I'll come in with the relevant pages from the Tech Manual, discuss the procedure and what I expect. I get what I pay for and only what I asked for.
The convenience of having a dealership in town outweighs the hassle of driving 30-40 minutes away to Kitchener or London, where I hear the Service is no better or worse. I much prefer a small independent garage where someone knowledgeable speaks Subaru.
Ya gotta make friends with the Mechanics and train the Dealership staff.
I have all my fluids changed at JiffyLube here or do stuff myself. It takes something mighty serious and Subaru specific to get my Subbies in to SASS.

I would install the Condenser rad myself and have SASS just charge the system but there's just no time in my work schedule this summer, with a 4 day vacation trip planned to Northern Ontario over Labour Day weekend.
That is why once the AC Condenser rad is installed and working Sass will likely never have their hands on my SVX again. I've solved the misdiagnosed problem with the O2 sensors/MAF engine light using my own Tech manuals.
I won't badmouth SASS. I don't recommend them to others, either. They are like every other Dealership out there. But I have SASS trained for my business now.
1994 Emerald Pearl LSi w 2006 WRX 5 spd manual.
1997 Laguna Blue LSi, 46k miles (73345 Kms). One owner 25 years, always garaged, pampered and 9/10 showroom condition. Possibly the last Canadian spec Laguna ordered #100134
Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

" When I pulled back into my lane I was astonished to see the speedometer at 189 kph (~118 mph). That would have been a minimum $2000 fine and seizure."

Yep. Had about the same experience on my first drive. On the highway behind someone slouching in 90 uphill in a Micra, floor it (in economy even, not power) and into jail territory by the time I passed the car. And a Micra is a very small car.
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Davy View Post
Thanks for your unvarnished take, Ron. I was being diplomatic.
Ah, gotcha

Quote:
I got Iqbal's number early on - The Mrs and his boy's, too. In 2005 I was driving a black 1998 Legacy GT wagon. Cognizant of the disconnect between the Sales Floor and Service Departments I would set up my own little tests when the car was in for some minor service maintenance, such as loosening a few bolts and other minor things that should be obvious in the course of service. When SASS failed a few of my 'tests' (lost or missing snap fasteners that were there when I brought the car in and again, loose bolts, caught putting an old part back in when it was supposed to be replaced) I went in and had a private chat with Iqbal and Service Manager about the future of any service with them. I also make a point of meeting the shop floor mechanics out back on their smoke breaks.
Since then I have had no difficulties. I'll come in with the relevant pages from the Tech Manual, discuss the procedure and what I expect. I get what I pay for and only what I asked for.
The convenience of having a dealership in town outweighs the hassle of driving 30-40 minutes away to Kitchener or London, where I hear the Service is no better or worse. I much prefer a small independent garage where someone knowledgeable speaks Subaru.
Ya gotta make friends with the Mechanics and train the Dealership staff.
I have all my fluids changed at JiffyLube here or do stuff myself. It takes something mighty serious and Subaru specific to get my Subbies in to SASS.

I would install the Condenser rad myself and have SASS just charge the system but there's just no time in my work schedule this summer, with a 4 day vacation trip planned to Northern Ontario over Labour Day weekend.
That is why once the AC Condenser rad is installed and working Sass will likely never have their hands on my SVX again. I've solved the misdiagnosed problem with the O2 sensors/MAF engine light using my own Tech manuals.
I won't badmouth SASS. I don't recommend them to others, either. They are like every other Dealership out there. But I have SASS trained for my business now.
Yeah, this sounds more like what I'm used to. I didn't even know they could be trained, but then, Iqbal will do anything for your money, even if it means having to run an honest shop, I guess. I do badmouth them because not only were my cars mistreated there, but *I* was as well while in their employ. That I can't forgive.

Understandable about the work schedule though, I understand completely.

Incidentally, if you're headed up my way in Northern Ontario, we can have our own Subaru car show in my driveway (or a parking lot)!

For the record, I also drive an Outback XT these days, but in my current line of work, I could never consider lowering it!

Anyway, cheers!
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*

Last edited by Nemesis Destiny; 08-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

OK. I just got here but I'll check in anyhow.

-Mike O
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi! Welcome to the network!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Well hello everyone, I welcome all the new members to the site. always good to see new faces as well as old friends. As for me still have an SVX, and it's still doing alright, starting to show a little age now. kinda to be expected. Still in exceptional condition to be a 20y/o/. so here's to all the folks that love their cars, as we have that in common and to all the new guys coming aboard.

~SVX1999
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM

Howdy all... I'm a frequent lurker and occasional poster.. I've had three SVX's, still have my original one, a '92 pearl.. currently 99k miles. It's had two trans rebuilds and undergoing a trans. swap-out as soon as I can locate a trans..

This list is a great resource for all SVX'ers.

ed!

'92 SVX
'93 GMC Typhoon
'91 GMC Syclone
'08 Toyota Highlander
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM

hi im dave finally got one 92 ls-l 80000mi. tranny good only been a 20 year wait
Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Hi everybody, that's the first time here though I'm looking for an svx for a while.
Here in Brazil it's quite rare and when i search one in good condition it's price is prohibited.
Well, I'm a lover of Subaru cars and drive everyday an Impreza WRX sw 07 and my wife a Forester 2011.
My garage doesn't have enough space for a svx but my desire is more than just buy another car, it's much more like be the owner of a part of the history of Subaru and what this car represent to anybody who knows that history.