SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Every member please check in here!

Congratulations! Is this your first SVX?

1992 SVX LS-L "Black Beauty" 292,500K (purchased April, 1997 w/65K)
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psz1xmhtdo.jpg

1992 SVX LS-L "Blanca" 214,000K
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskv0odesa.jpg
2004 Mazda RX-8
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7vggfwfu.jpg
1974 Mazda RX-4
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psentjrygb.jpg
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff94SVX View Post
Name is Jeff and own a '94 SVX L in Laguna Blue Pearl. Has 217,000+ miles and runs good, just has a rattle in front when hitting slow bumps.
If you figure out what that rattle is, let me know. I've been trying to find the same sort of rattle for weeks. It sounds like it's behind the front bumper.

97 LSi Brilliant Red
94 LSi Pearl White
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Checking in from the ATL

Bought a rusted up svx last summer, swapping the engine into my widebody impreza. Just started cleaning up the engine today. The egr pipe bolts broke when i took it off. Any body know if I can do an EGR delete?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Checking in from the ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlinkidd66 View Post
Bought a rusted up svx last summer, swapping the engine into my widebody impreza. Just started cleaning up the engine today. The egr pipe bolts broke when i took it off. Any body know if I can do an EGR delete?
Yes but it depends on what year ECU you are using. Some models have a temp sensor in the inlet manifold to check that there is hot gas flowing when the EGR should work.
If the ECU does not have this check, you can just remove the hardware, leaving the EGR solenoid there, block the vacuum hose, to prevent any ECU codes.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 AM

Hi everyone, I'm here because I wanna do some research about the maintenance of The SVX as I'm considering it as a first car. I'm interested in it due to its subtle appearance as well as its power/safety/luxury features combined into a reasonably cheap P plater friendly car. I've read a fair few of the information threads regarding the maintenance of this car and I'm curious to see whether the older, experienced owners of this car would recommend it to a young person as a first car.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leNoobe View Post
Hi everyone, I'm here because I wanna do some research about the maintenance of The SVX as I'm considering it as a first car. ..young person as a first car.
It's a great first car if you understand what you are undertaking. The SVX today is not an investment. Don't expect to get your money back, either the purchase price or the money spent on maintenance and repairs. It is an opportunity to own a bit of history, drive something out of the ordinary and have a lot of fun. Doing research is important. These are old rare cars. They have a lot of technology on board. They require upkeep. 20 year old plastic parts, hoses and electrical connections will fail. You need to have sufficient funds to cover possible repairs. Plan to get your hands dirty. Part of the satisfaction is doing the work yourself.

If you understand all that, the SVX is about as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels. I love going to a Subie meet. Impreza owners have a special reverence for the SVX. You feel like royalty. And, I had a Mustang GT with side pipes trying to race me this morning. :-)

97 LSi Brilliant Red
94 LSi Pearl White
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by leNoobe View Post
Hi everyone, I'm here because I wanna do some research about the maintenance of The SVX as I'm considering it as a first car. I'm interested in it due to its subtle appearance as well as its power/safety/luxury features combined into a reasonably cheap P plater friendly car. I've read a fair few of the information threads regarding the maintenance of this car and I'm curious to see whether the older, experienced owners of this car would recommend it to a young person as a first car.
I would not recommend this as a first car. It will need maintenance which is expensive no matter how you look at it. 1st time drivers are generally hard on their cars and one of these 20 year old subies will be somewhat fragile. Some parts are getting scarce and almost all parts are pricey.

It will also tempt you to test it's prowess which will certainly get you in trouble with the law, not to mention possible injury .
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
It will also tempt you to test it's prowess which will certainly get you in trouble with the law, not to mention possible injury .
Yes, this.

My first car was a 69hp Nissan Sentra classic (3-speed automatic, just to make matters worse). I didn't appreciate it back then, but its lack of power and governed 140km/h top speed probably saved my life.

I looked into an SVX a few years later (I think I was 19 or 20 at the time), and in retrospect, it probably would have been a bad idea. By the time I did get one (I'd just turned 25 a few days prior), I think I was mature enough to handle it. That said, I still did some pretty stupid things with it from time to time.

The flipside of that, if you DO get in over your head, the SVX is a pretty safe car - you won't find too many other machines of that vintage with that many safety features and built to that degree of tankishness.

That said, unless you are mechanically handy or eager to dive in and learn, this car is probably a bad choice. Relying on others to have it fixed will be difficult and expensive. For the things that I can't do myself for lack of tools or experience, I've had many shops flat out turn me away. Just something to bear in mind.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have to say thank you already for the well documented and easily referenced information.

My GF bought a 1992 Teal LS-L as her very first car. Pics to follow soon.

I myself had a 1992 Legacy Turbo 5MT for a few years and managed to get all work done without taking it in to a shop.

I hope to do the same with the SVX, and this forum is already helping me toward that goal.

I hope that I can contribute here eventually, but for now I am just trying to read everything so I can ask good questions.

Cheers from Calgary,

Andrew
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Just jump on my tail (no, not like that), I'm already asking all the basic questions. Welcome. Nice girlfriend, mine wants a Forester...
I'm ready to f...
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Out Driving and Revieiwing

Registered SVX

Hello, My name is Mike. I'm from just outside Toronto in Canada and I picked up a 1997 SXV LSi in great shape. I'll post a tread on it soon with some pictures.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi. I've been on the site a few years ago under the name Yellow Bird. My collection of SVX's got tangled in a nasty divorce and the my last one, a '92 Pearl will be listed under the "for sale" section soon.

Had a bad run of luck for the past three years besides the divorce, both of my parents died and I just finished up 6 rounds of chemotherapy for non-hodgkins lymphoma.

So i'm forced to sell my last SVX.

But as they say.....what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Sorry to hear of your run of bad times graybear1063. My son was successfully treated for non-hodgkins so I know that was no picnic. Good luck with the sale and, yes, you will appreciate the good times even more.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 03-25-2012, 01:54 PM

I'm here in AZ. Shopping for a source on a new radiator today for my 96. Ebay sellers seem kind of shady on their feedback for various ones advertised.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot View Post
I'm here in AZ. Shopping for a source on a new radiator today for my 96. Ebay sellers seem kind of shady on their feedback for various ones advertised.
When I buy a radiator off of E-Bay I always go with RADSUS
I did get one bad one a few years ago, but after they checked they gave me my money back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-SVX-N...bd2136&vxp=mtr
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link