SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2001, 08:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question Anyone tried LubeGard?

As I was over at Homer's garage for an oil change today, I noticed a display of LubeGard (www.lubegard.com) products. One is a tranny additive (part #61910) that claims to reduce temperature, provide smoother shifts, save clutches, save the whales, blah, blah. My reluctance to use ANY additives, (except Motor Honey, that I still say mixes well with gin), is sometimes offset by the constant tranny paranoia now pervading my psyche. Could this stuff just provide the benefit of synthetic vs. organic? It ain't cheap - $39.00 for 10 oz. Any semi-educated comments appreciated. Tsu/Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:40 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
When I was young and naive, I used to add crap in holes in my cars -- engine, tranny, fuel additives. Now, with the SVX under my hands, I am staying the hell away from them with a 20m pole.

Just my standing on the subject. IFF one of you guys can say I am using this and this additive and it's great, I will try it but I am not going to go experiment it. I've already shelled out more then the cost of the car to fix the car.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-24-2001, 07:11 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: Anyone tried LubeGard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
My reluctance to use ANY additives, (except Motor Honey, that I still say mixes well with gin) Tsu/Ron
Ron, have you ever tried it on pancakes? Makes 'em go down real smooth . . .

BTW, my personal opinion is to stay away from the additives. If you want to spend $$, go ahead and use synthetic ATF (I do!).
Red Line High-Temp ATF is my choice . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-24-2001, 08:07 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Anyone tried LubeGard?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

Ron, have you ever tried it on pancakes? Makes 'em go down real smooth . . .

BTW, my personal opinion is to stay away from the additives. If you want to spend $$, go ahead and use synthetic ATF (I do!).
Red Line High-Temp ATF is my choice . . .
Ron,
I agree with Jerry on this. Have you ever seen an engine with baked on STP oil treatment? It ain't a pretty sight. When I worked at my Uncle's service station, one of the first things he taught me was that if you take care of the car and do your regular maintenance, it should last virtually forever. The only thing my uncle recommended that was out of the norm was to add a 1/2 pint of ATF in the crankcase at every oil change. This, first of all, was in the early 70's before oil technology was more advanced, and before synth. It also seemed too weird for me, so, I've never done it. I have trouble putting anything but oil and gas into the orifices of my car. BTW, my uncle drove a '69 Mercury Cyclone CJ. He was changing the VC gaskets one day and I got to take a look at the innards of the engine. The ATF apparantly did the trick, the car was 4 years old (this was in '73) and the head looked brand spankin' new -- no varnish, no discoloration of the valves, I was amazed.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-24-2001, 11:38 PM
KEVINL

The only additive I think is not just a waste of money is Lubro Moly I use it in my engine and when I had a manual tranny I used the tranny formula. Good for diffs to but do not use in a LSD
Old 07-25-2001, 01:06 PM
lightning_8669

1/2 pint of ATF in the crankcase

I had a tech tell me once to add some ATF to the engine oil to help free up a stuck lifter. I don't recall if it helped. I also recall the detergent levels of ATF being higher to prevent valve bodies from gumming up. I suppose it would keep the engine clean but I don't know how it is for a combustion chamber lubricant. Gasloline will keep engine parts clean too but it don't do much for reducing friction
Old 07-25-2001, 01:11 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: 1/2 pint of ATF in the crankcase

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
I had a tech tell me once to add some ATF to the engine oil to help free up a stuck lifter. I don't recall if it helped. I also recall the detergent levels of ATF being higher to prevent valve bodies from gumming up. I suppose it would keep the engine clean but I don't know how it is for a combustion chamber lubricant. Gasloline will keep engine parts clean too but it don't do much for reducing friction
We were coming back from a camping trip one weekend and my wife's van began to sound horrible. I remembered this trick. That was almost a year ago. No chatter since. It works. It's not my preferred method, but, it's kept us going. She runs quietly now and the van still doesn't use any oil.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI