How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-16-2001, 07:54 AM
vettn

SVX windshield...

Couple of days ago going to work I heard this loud knock on my winshield, by the passanger side. I looked again and there was a big ding in the windshield. It hasn't cracked, but it looked like if you took a quarter dollar and glued it on the windshield. Anyway, got to work, took the yellow pages out and called couple of places for a price quote. None of those places even had a listing for the SVX, they were gonna call me back. Few hours later I get couple of calls back, all the quotes were between $1025 and $1200

$1200 ???? Do we have gold in out windshields.

Anyway, I had a local company come out and fix the windshield so it would look better, and won't crack for $49.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:09 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: SVX windshield...

Quote:
Originally posted by vettn

$1200 ???? Do we have gold in out windshields.

Close, I think someone said it was a titanium coating, but I could be mistaken. If you were to do a search on windshield you'd probably find out for sure.

I think I've mentioned before that my wife was the parts manager at CDA Subaru for awhile, and she knew what they cost. She put the 50 dollar glass deductable on our insurance. Good thing too, I'd have never thought to do it...damn it Jim, I'm a mechanic, not a glass guy!
Old 07-16-2001, 09:57 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: SVX windshield...

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Close, I think someone said it was a titanium coating, but I could be mistaken. If you were to do a search on windshield you'd probably find out for sure.

I think I've mentioned before that my wife was the parts manager at CDA Subaru for awhile, and she knew what they cost. She put the 50 dollar glass deductable on our insurance. Good thing too, I'd have never thought to do it...damn it Jim, I'm a mechanic, not a glass guy!
According to the parts catalogue, there are two windshields: A "Shaded" and a "Bronze" -- the "Shaded" is a little cheaper, and, I believe were used on the "lesser" models. The Bronze is the one with the titanium (the difference -- for instance, on Leo's L model, his radar detector went off constantly when I drove his car. Mine goes off occasionally and just in time to say "you're screwed!" -- I don't think his has the titanium, which heavily impedes radar signals). The availability from aftermarket (NAGS) in the catalogue is listed as N.A. Of course, as of the printing of this catalogue (94) they were cheaper too -- 820.00 and 860 (and change) respectively. PN's: "Shaded" 65001PA230, "Bronze" 65001PA210. You might try running the numbers on subaruparts.com, just to get some comparison rates.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-16-2001, 11:13 AM
Lowered SVX

getting any of my windows......

busted or dinged is one of my biggest nightmares. i know that the glass for the SVX is expensive. add to that the horror of just seeing the glass destroyed.....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-16-2001, 02:11 PM
carpedick

3 words. Parts dot com. =) But seriously, I had some nice person come by and smash my rear window. I was quoted $360 for a used one from a parts place. $460 for brand new from the dealership. On Parts.com, even with the $100 shipping, it was still only $225. I think you should check and see. Oh, and as far as someone's opinion on the 2 window coatings. I've been told that there are 2 blue and bronze. My car is a 92 LsL and it has the blue, so the type of SVX does not determine the window shading. And just my personal preference...I prefer the blue, the bronze looks dirty.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by carpedick
My car is a 92 LsL and it has the blue, so the type of SVX does not determine the window shading.
Hmmm. You may want to re-check your info.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-16-2001, 03:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
<<Hmmm. You may want to re-check your info.>>

I agree with Randy on that one. I have clear windows (L) LS and LSi comes with the titanium coated (much more expensive). Regardless, they costs around 1000 a piece.

Look for junkyards.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-16-2001, 04:53 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hmmm. You may want to re-check your info.
Well, I have replaced a few sunroof glasses. (That sounds funny like that.) And the only difference in the parts book that I saw was the color of the interior. Beige interiors got the bronze and gray interiors got the blue. And that would also follow with the colors of the exterior, I can't recall ever seeing a red SVX, (not maroon), with a gray interior. Aredub, you should look it up in your handy dandy parts book, but I'm thinking I'm right on this.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Well, I have replaced a few sunroof glasses. (That sounds funny like that.) And the only difference in the parts book that I saw was the color of the interior. Beige interiors got the bronze and gray interiors got the blue. And that would also follow with the colors of the exterior, I can't recall ever seeing a red SVX, (not maroon), with a gray interior. Aredub, you should look it up in your handy dandy parts book, but I'm thinking I'm right on this.
Now, I'm laying this out up front to avoid any possible tincture of an inkling that I'm being argumentative. I'd like to know for absolutely sure also. I did look it up in my handy dandy parts book. The "Shaded" (it didn't list it as "blue" as a Subaru part -- it did as an a/m part through NAGS). The bronze was more expensive than the "Shaded" which, I would think, would indicate that there was something different besides the color -- but, that's just me. The '92's were listed with "Tinted Solar Control Glass" as standard. No differentiation. Mine is an '92, it has gray interior and has a bronze tinted windshield. Hmmmm. Again, I'm just wondering, here. I only know what I've been told. I'll have to do some more research, I supposed -- yes -- I could be wrong (about this, at least ) Still doesn't explain why radar detectors (both Leo and Steve Wasion) work better on a "blue" windshield than a "bronze."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-16-2001, 05:24 PM

Registered SVX
Just checked subaruparts.com. Price for either part number is listed as 755.25 with free ground shipping. That's a helluva price if someone needs a windshield. Still hasn't solved the mystery. Now, it's off to the manuals for possible answers.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-16-2001, 06:42 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Just checked subaruparts.com. Price for either part number is listed as 755.25 with free ground shipping. That's a helluva price if someone needs a windshield. Still hasn't solved the mystery. Now, it's off to the manuals for possible answers.
Might be partially solved, they didn't have a beige interior in the 92 model year that I am aware of. When I saw my first 93 I was taken with the beige interior, but in my (ex) line of work, light colors don't work well, unless you like cleaning it every week.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:35 PM
KEVINL

Doesn't anybody have glass coverage mine got cracked badly called the insurance company with in a week I had a new windshield and the $1000 dollar glass bill went to the insurance company
Old 07-16-2001, 08:19 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
this is the first time I heard off... I will look into it.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-17-2001, 08:14 AM
Green1995SVX

Its funny this thread was up when i came on this morning. Yesterday, I was on my way home from the transmission shop <g> and was driving thru the city. Someone threw something out of a building (a rock maybe?) at my car. It dented the piece under the windshield that the wipers sit on, and cracked my windshield. I havnt looked into getting it fixed yet, but i have 0 deductable on glass on my insurance, so i think im good. Oh, PS - I have an L with grey interior... my radar detector works perfectly and has saved my a$$ many a time.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:17 PM
carpedick

Hey, is it too early to say aredub? Maybe the previous owner of yours decided they didn't like the blue "tinted" glass and decided to take it all out and replace it with bronze. Hey...it's possible.

Oh, and for all those who care, I checked on parts.com. 3 are listed that look like they'd be in decent shape. 1-94 in MI for $200, and 2-92's in CA for $500 each. So you'd be talking about $150 or so in shipping still not a bad deal.

Oh and one last thing, regardless of how it's listed, tinted or blue, in the process of replacing mine, I held a sheet of white paper behind it, and the tint is blue.

The controversy continues....geez if it isn't AWS it's the tinting of windows.