Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2001, 09:10 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up About time... I think

Ok Guys,

I think it's about time we do something about the repeat questions. I do not mean beat up people. I mean have a general FAQ section up. I am going to work on the FAQ tonight. I will post it up later tonight i think.

There will be a lot of stuff missing. I need your help to get that up. I have not encounter all the problems yet with my car (knock on wood). If we all contribute, I think it might be a good place for quick check. What do you think? Randy, how do you recommand doing that?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
First of all, if we do away with the repeat questions, we won't have anything to talk about on this forum. We'll be stuck with my bad jokes, Don's and Joe's and Bill's puns and eddycats velvet enhanced retorts. That said, you can find just about anything you need with a search on the Yahoo archives. You can also find most Frequently asked questions on the FAQ that sith linked to. You can get your outline from there, but, don't copy any of the info verbatim -- that's a definite no no.

Again, I don't mind answering repeat questions. If it's gonna bug other people, just don't answer. Simple. I'll be happy to. I've been cutting and pasting the same answers for two years now. I don't understand why it bothers people so. It's a great ice breaker for the newbies.

Oh, and even with the "extensive" FAQ that the Yahoo site had, nobody could ever find it and half the members didn't even know where it was.

And, one more thing. If you're going to do an FAQ, stick with the facts and stay away from "opinion" or "conjecture." However, you have my permission to add the quote from R&T Guide about "Passive AWS."

If you get stuck, look in Larry III's locker for post numbers.

Oh, and please submit the text to sith, chris and myself before posting it for all to see, so's we can add or subtract.

Thanks for your willingness to do this. I appreciate it. Now, I'm going to bed -- I need my beauty sleep. Just call me "Rip Van Winkle."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 07-05-2001 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
First of all, if we do away with the repeat questions, we won't have anything to talk about on this forum. We'll be stuck with my bad jokes, Don's and Joe's and Bill's puns and eddycats velvet enhanced retorts. That said, you can find just about anything you need with a search on the Yahoo archives. You can also find most Frequently asked questions on the FAQ that sith linked to. You can get your outline from there, but, don't copy any of the info verbatim -- that's a definite no no.

Again, I don't mind answering repeat questions. If it's gonna bug other people, just don't answer. Simple. I'll be happy to. I've been cutting and pasting the same answers for two years now. I don't understand why it bothers people so. It's a great ice breaker for the newbies.

Oh, and even with the "extensive" FAQ that the Yahoo site had, nobody could ever find it and half the members didn't even know where it was.

And, one more thing. If you're going to do an FAQ, stick with the facts and stay away from "opinion" or "conjecture." However, you have my permission to add the quote from R&T Guide about "Passive AWS."

If you get stuck, look in Larry III's locker for post numbers.

Oh, and please submit the text to sith, chris and myself before posting it for all to see, so's we can add or subtract.

Thanks for your willingness to do this. I appreciate it. Now, I'm going to bed -- I need my beauty sleep. Just call me "Rip Van Winkle."
I agree, Randy. I don't mind answering repeated questions and I certainly don't mind avoiding them if I don't want to read them. I know someone else on this board will field them if I do not.

Subaru stopped building the SVX in '97, folks. It's not like we're going to encounter many new issues.

This is the 'General SVX Babble' forum. I see it as free-form. We have the Tech Q&A section for strictly technical questions and Eddy's Garage for even stricter ones.

I'd like to see the new FAQ before it's posted, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-06-2001, 12:09 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Subaru stopped building the SVX in '97, folks. It's not like we're going to encounter many new issues.

This is the 'General SVX Babble' forum. I see it as free-form. We have the Tech Q&A section for strictly technical questions and Eddy's Garage for even stricter ones.

First off, yes you won't see many new SVX's out there, but you will see many new SVX owners over time, and most of those people will have the same questions we've encountered for a long time. I didn't think this would be a divisive thought, just some way to introduce new users to the net. And answer any questions they may have without them getting told by crotchety old guys like me that they should search the archives. If a new user were to be invited to look at the FAQ first and he can find his answer quickly, what's the problem with that? Then he/she might think that we really do know what is going on and feel more comfortable joining us. It's just my opinion, take it as you will, but I like to read directions, saves on the frustration factor later. I flatly refuse to stop and ask anyone for directions though, that's something that has been genetically engineered out of men.

Oh, yeah, cubed pockets, I'm not strict, I just like a simple question...something a simpleton like me can answer.
Old 07-06-2001, 01:26 PM
Lowered SVX

eddy not strict.....hahahah....

i actually enjoy answering newbies questions. hell it gives us all an opportunity to chat and get to know each other. this is an interactive site, not an information only site. without questions, even repeat ones this site would be boring. create you FAQ just dont deter people from being interactive and looking for advice/help. i personally prefer dialogue whether it be written or verbal. why all the sudden are some of us getting snobby?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-06-2001, 11:44 PM

I don't think we are being snobby. I just personally feel that many of us (inc. me) at times do not use that search function too much. Majority of information is out there. What does the power light blinking means? What to do if you hear this noise? How to clean the head lamps? How to remove the whole door apart (hack, I did that) -- even on the radio crap part numbers on the bulbs and batts.

I love welcoming new people and further more, I love to chat and post stuff. That's why I have over 200 posts in about 3 months. I think if it was not for Randy, i'd be the lead poster on the board Leave me in a room, I will chat till my mouth runs dry and the wall talks back. Trust me. I talk a lot and I can keep on talking.

I am not sure where I am going with this post. I think I remember posting saying this is a forum. We need an actual webpage for the network. Maybe that is the key. Keep the major facts on the webpage (specs, error codes etc). and leave the forum for chatting.

Normally I am not that bad but lately, with the car troubles it's too easy to push me over the edge. Thank god the midterms for the summer school is over.

This is for fun. Try this out for size. Click on the forum. See if this looks like something we can all do. (Remember -- this is just a test and i did it for fun)

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k

Last edited by Seraph; 07-06-2001 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2001, 04:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile FQ

Hi Lwin

Like the idea, and the site is

Particularly, I like the home page. I am on a [supposedly]56K modem. Any site I visit that has Flash or big graphics or other crap, and does not offer me either Skip Intro or, as in your case my favourite, something to read while the loading is going on, that site gets the 3 Second Skip. I leave.

Regards the FAQ, we should have one. These generally work well as a point of reference information, common to all owners, I personally love the Joe Spitz info you have on the Web page.

What I think would be useful to add, although updating would have to be thought about, is a paragraph added to each sector or question saying something like "This question is dealt with in the following posts: 1234, 2241,5623 etc"

What do you think??

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-07-2001, 02:59 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Easy now...

<why all the sudden are some of us getting snobby? >

Easy now gentlemen (and ladies). The term is General Babble.....not Major Upset or Corporal Punishment. Lets leave the smell of napalm over at Yahoo!

I, for one, think a facts sheet would be fine. A place where a newcomer could look first, before making a CQ to the membership. If there was still a question, good old Eddy would be happy to have his finger pulled...(I think?) Shoot, I aint exactly a newcomer, but when something "new" crops up on Super-Ru, I'd still like to have a place to look it up....Tis better to remain silent and be though of as a fool, than to speak up, and remove all doubt! Don

----------

<This is for fun. Try this out for size. Click on the forum. See if this looks like something we can all do>

Very nice! I really like that coffee-colored SVX. What nationality is the license plate? Looks a bit British...
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 07-07-2001 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Easy now...

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
[B
<This is for fun. Try this out for size. Click on the forum. See if this looks like something we can all do>

Very nice! I really like that coffee-colored SVX. What nationality is the license plate? Looks a bit British... [/B]
Hey Don, you must drink some weak coffee.

I would have thought the car is silver, with a little bias in the colour, could be wrong. No way the number is British. I don't recognise it, but a guess would be German or maybe Swiss.

Regards one of your by-lines; if this woman has an animal or animals at home that are irritable, profane or poor timekeepers, then she deserves them, whether or not one of them is called husband.

Just my own home-spun philosophy. We attract the sort of crap we deserve in life. If you are fielding too much of it, get a bigger mirror.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-07-2001, 11:32 PM

The car is silver. I am not sure what it is from Probably one of the european ones. Most likely German -- although german plates have EU tags on them.

The tint is reddish tint I gave so that the background sinks in with the page while the SVX stands out. A little bit of photoshop magic I guess.
Lwin
Old 07-08-2001, 07:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Rose tinted coffee

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
The car is silver. I am not sure what it is from Probably one of the european ones. Most likely German -- although german plates have EU tags on them.

The tint is reddish tint I gave so that the background sinks in with the page while the SVX stands out. A little bit of photoshop magic I guess.
Lwin
So I was right about the tint. See what stirring up can happen for using just a little magic?

Neat picture anyway Lwin, and the lack of EU logo may well point to Swiss plates.

Most people have their favourite colours, and my two personal favourites would be the burgundy that I have followed by the silver, which was the original design study colour. I would also happily tolerate either black or teal green, and I think the pearl white looks striking, not sure I could live with one. My least favoured colour, and I mean no offense, is red. This is because I don't like any big cars in red. I abhor red Mercedes.

I regard the SVX as a coupe, and as such, totally distinct from a sports car. Now, I am not saying it is not a sporty car,[dons flame suit], merely that coupes for me are about high speed touring with ability, safety and comfort. Our SVX fills these criteria so well, it lays claim to being one of the top five coupes ever, this puts it in with very exalted company. Sports cars on the other hand are small minimalist jumped up go-karts, you paint them red, or otherwise people might not see them. They have very high focus on driving experience, and low focus on creature comfort. They are a pain in the butt to drive as an everyday car, you pay for the privelige of the youthful profile.

Not that we SVX fools are not also paying for ours with Mr Fuji's stupid chocolate gearboxes!

Joe

PS: I believe the boxes are made by a company called Aisan, and IMHO the fault lies squarely with the FUJI design engineers for not installing a proper filtration system to protect the cooler in the rad, and also for not putting in a properly engineered foolproof cooling system to protect the box. The provision of an idiot over-temperature light [when the harm is done] instead of a proper gauge in a car of this weight and performance is also a laugh. No wonder they have not rushed to repeat the performance.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-08-2001, 09:53 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Rose tinted coffee

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Not that we SVX fools are not also paying for ours with Mr Fuji's stupid chocolate gearboxes!

Joe

Joe, while I agree that there are some issues regarding the design of the transmission cooling system, I must point out that most manufacturers don't even have an overheat idiot light. As for putting a gauge in there...here I go again...here's a little story about gauges and the general public.

A lady brings her car into the shop (a turbo Pontiac), saying that her cars charging system isn't working properly. I check it with all the tools that I can think of and ask the writer how, or when is the charging system not working properly? I'm at a loss at this point. So he calls her and she says the gauge on the right side of the dash always reads discharge. After rolling on the ground laffing for several minutes I inform the writer that the gauge she is referring to is the boost gauge for her turbo, and if'n she wants that there alternator to charge better she'd better get a lead foot thing going.

I like people (not), but they can be so damn toopid it just amazes me. "Is this going to happen every time she runs out of gas?" heard this one as the guy was paying the tow bill.

Toopid people unfortunately don't know they are toopid. Therefore they are unwilling to become ed-ja-cated.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:11 AM

back to the post??

Guys, back to the original post -- What do you think of my idea about having a primary page infront before we hit the forum? Is is a good idea? bad idea? Admins? Randy?

Lwin
Old 07-08-2001, 10:37 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: back to the post??

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Guys, back to the original post -- What do you think of my idea about having a primary page infront before we hit the forum? Is is a good idea? bad idea? Admins? Randy?

Lwin
Since I've had time to think about it, I think the page, as you've posted in the original post, is more something to link *to* rather than serve as a portal to the site. In fact, it's a site within itself. If we want an FAQ page, I think we just need to do it and use our own FAQ button at the top of the page. O'course, that's my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-08-2001, 11:07 AM

<<I think we just need to do it and use our own FAQ button at the top of the page. >>

That seems like a good idea too. Keeps everything consistant.
Lwin