How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-06-2001, 02:00 PM
Lowered SVX

hey man go for the 96....

it is the better deal. i just got frustrated at the dig taken by mr. pockets. very bad....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Chris. The 96 sounds like a "cream puff." Take it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-06-2001, 02:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: what is your problem mr. pockets?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
whether the fwd option was an effort to make the car cheaper or not it does not lessen the experience of owning or driving an SVX. in fact in many ways it heightens the experience. less weight, better performance in some ways, and less to worry about mechanically. maybe i am taking your comment the wrong way and if am then i am sorry, but it sure did rub me the wrong way. when i bought my svx it didnt matter whether it was fwd or awd, i liked the car, the way it looked and the ponies backing it up. if i am not mistaken the svx used an 80 front and 20 rear split anyway. big deal!? i would really like to see you put your super duper awd svx against my barely a svx (because it is fwd). we will see who is laughing in the end. what the hell is wrong with some of you guys....first we dont want answer newbies questions now svx's with fwd are not TRUE svx's.............................i give up!
Whoa! Let's just settle down. Let's all take a nap and come back talking with our "inside voices." Let's not let things "rub us the wrong way." We can all play nice. (BTW, it's a 60/40 F/R going to 50/50 when necessary)
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-06-2001, 02:35 PM
Lowered SVX

thanks for the correction randy....

i guess i am a little agitated without my svx......i know you know the feeling. ok i promise to play nice
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-06-2001, 02:53 PM

Registered SVX
Re: thanks for the correction randy....

Quote:
i guess i am a little agitated without my svx......i know you know the feeling. ok i promise to play nice
Yeah, I know how you feel. Try 24 @#*$*# in' DAYS! You guys will have to bear with ME next week. She goes in on Monday for the fender work. They said it would take 3-4 days. I don't know if I can stand it. So, Leo, and Lwin -- if I start getting "pissy," reel me back in. Of course, if I don't have my car back in the time prescribed, you probably won't hear from me for a while -- like, maybe 20 . . . to life.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-06-2001, 03:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: what is your problem mr. pockets?

Quote:
whether the fwd option was an effort to make the car cheaper or not it does not lessen the experience of owning or driving an SVX. in fact in many ways it heightens the experience. less weight, better performance in some ways, and less to worry about mechanically. maybe i am taking your comment the wrong way and if am then i am sorry, but it sure did rub me the wrong way. when i bought my svx it didnt matter whether it was fwd or awd, i liked the car, the way it looked and the ponies backing it up. if i am not mistaken the svx used an 80 front and 20 rear split anyway. big deal!? i would really like to see you put your super duper awd svx against my barely a svx (because it is fwd). we will see who is laughing in the end. what the hell is wrong with some of you guys....first we dont want answer newbies questions now svx's with fwd are not TRUE svx's.............................i give up!
Oh, for crying out loud.

Okay, I'm sorry I hurt some of your feelings. Subaru offered all their cars in FWD in an attempt to lower their prices and attract more buyers by being a 'mainstream' car company instead of a 'niche' car company. I am very happy to hear that this had the unexpected effect of producing an SVX that's more fun.

As for the torque split, as I understand it, it's 90/10 under cruising and up to 50/50 if need be. The limited slip diff also helps distribute torque in the rear left to right.

Nobody's going to be laughing because I try very hard not to race my SVX. Hell, I try very hard not to even DRIVE it.

I did not MEAN to say that a FWD SVX is not an SVX. I *very very very* clearly stated that it was MY (read that as me, only me, and nobody but ME) opinion that AWD is an integral part of the SVX fun.

I'm glad you like your FWD SVX. I hope you and it have many, many happy miles together and that its simpler drivetrain saves you from costly repairs. The originator of this post asked our opinions on which SVX to go for, and I replied...

...WITH

MY

OPINION...

Jiminy effing crickets.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 07-06-2001 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Lowered SVX

hahahahaha.......ok ok....

now i feel better. i guess i am a little sensitive without my svx. sorry.....i gotta a litte out of hand. i went back and read your post now that i am home and it wasnt that bad. i think when i read your post i had spoken with my mechanic and was informed that my cv axle part they had to order from my local dealer would not be in until monday when they have had four or five business days to get it in. again sorry to bash you opinion, just caught me at a bad time. : )
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-08-2001, 07:20 AM
joeaux

Don't get up in arms about the FWD/AWD thing. I've got an LSi (AWD). AWD is what Subaru is all about. I've had the privilege of driving both. I went with AWD 'cause it beats anything hands down in a curve. Awesome (there is a reason Audi Quattro was banned in many races). Whoever said that FWD was a Subaru ploy to sell more cars is correct. But that doesn't mean that an FWD car is any less 'fun' than an AWD. The biggest part of the SVX experience is the anonymity. People just don't know what it is. And when they find out they freak! Can't believe it's a Subaru. FWD or AWD, you still get the cool windows.
-joe-
Old 07-08-2001, 08:02 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Four play rumpus.

As usual I agree 100% with Joe.

I bought mine because it was 4wd. I like the stability and safety margin this endows, particularly in the wet and on high-speed curves.

However, if you like your fwd model, enjoy it, treasure it, don't over-react to what seems to be negative criticism. These cars are the sum of a lot of high quality components[gearbox and bearings aside!], not least of which is the chassis. And I would estimate the 4wd drivetrain may be using up 10% of available power, so the fwd models have a dual advantage of being lighter and having more available horsepower to put to the road. Quite a big advantage!

BTW, my 10% figure above is non-empirical, just my guess, don't haul me across the coals for this opinion. If any power-hungry freak out there has put both cars across a rolling road dyno, and come up the the hp figure at the wheels for both types, then we would know for sure. Anybody done that??

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-08-2001, 09:35 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Four play rumpus.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Anybody done that??

Joe
Not me Joe. I figure that buying a FWD Subaru is like buying a 2WD pickup, why bother? (Now don't go getting all mad guys, I'm from snow country where on occasion you *need* 4WD! ) You guys down south probably don't need AWD so a FWD would work just fine for you.
Old 07-08-2001, 10:49 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Four play rumpus.

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Not me Joe. I figure that buying a FWD Subaru is like buying a 2WD pickup, why bother? (Now don't go getting all mad guys, I'm from snow country where on occasion you *need* 4WD! ) You guys down south probably don't need AWD so a FWD would work just fine for you.
I bought my AWD because I'm on the "cusp." Some winters are practically non existant and others are horrid. You just never know. And, with a 40 mile per day commute, 4WD is a distinct "must-have" if it snows. Of course, form won out over utility when I traded my 4x4 Sidekick for my SVX. There's also something about going 80 & 90 MPH on rainsoaked roads and feeling like you're driving on sandpaper -- the stability just can't be beat(en).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-08-2001, 10:52 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Pssssst... hush guys.
You all are making me and my FWD svx feel bad. Now I want a AWD SVX. Perhaps I should trade mine in for AWD
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-08-2001, 10:58 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Pssssst... hush guys.
You all are making me and my FWD svx feel bad. Now I want a AWD SVX. Perhaps I should trade mine in for AWD
Lwin
Lwin, I think Joeaux and Joe were actually trying to make FWD owners feel "better." At any rate, being in "Chi-Town" you're gonna want that added advantage of AWD in the winter. That's not an attempt to make you feel bad, just pretty much a fact.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-08-2001, 11:03 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Right after I posted the previous post, I check out the market for an SVX. I saw a 92 @ 4500 USD within 41 miles and 94 LSi @ 10500 within 7 miles at a dealer ship. I think I might drive out there tomorrow.

Those of you in IN, this is a deal.

I just talked to Jack, the owner on the phone and he told me that the car is brill. red and the tranny was replaced at 51k miles by suby. I don't have the time to drive out so if anyone here is looking for replacement 96 LSi or adding another SVX in the lot, give him a call.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-08-2001, 04:33 PM
crislev

Thats the one!

Hey, that is the car I've been looking at...think the wife and I are driving over to Indy this weekend to buy it...it does sound like a good deal!