How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-02-2001, 01:27 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Question Alright...WHO got it first??!??!?!!??

Alright....who got the "ALCYONE" Colorado license plate before I did?!??

I guess that is what I get for being the SVX hot spot on the US.

Oh well.

Ryan
Old 07-02-2001, 01:55 PM
oneothefewproud

Man that Sux when someone gets your plate. But I am going to have to play dumb and need some edcat'in. What is Alycone? Why is it so important to the SVX?

Many thanx
Old 07-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oneothefewproud
Man that Sux when someone gets your plate. But I am going to have to play dumb and need some edcat'in. What is Alycone? Why is it so important to the SVX?

Many thanx
In Japan, Subaru is not Subaru, it is Alcyone (pronounced Al-see-OH-nee). Ergo, the Subaru SVX is an Alcyone SVX in Japan.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-02-2001, 02:08 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thanks for the idea, I just applied for
ALCYONE, UN P, and I SVX I

good call. I have SI QT DE and PulOver in my hands now.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-03-2001, 12:00 AM
ehowe

Re: The name "Alcyone"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

In Japan, Subaru is not Subaru, it is Alcyone (pronounced Al-see-OH-nee). Ergo, the Subaru SVX is an Alcyone SVX in Japan.

Actually, if I'm correct (My japanese/history is a bit rusty), But I beleive Subaru, in Japanese, is actually a star cluster, of six stars, hence the symbol... And the Alcyone is a particularly bright star in this cluster... The Alcyone is in reference to the racing line, the Subaru XT and XT-6 were both Alcyone's, as is the SVX... The Impreza is another star from this cluster, FYI. A little bit of useless trivia. =)
Old 07-03-2001, 05:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Question Who got my plate

Nevermore,

The plate on my SVX is "SUBYDOO", and he does like "Subysnax".
The plate on our '97 OB is "AH SO" and she thinks Subydoo is a dreamboat.

Larry III
PS: With all these cartoon characters, we need a vid like "Roger Rabbit"; but with SVX's, OB's, Imp's, WRX's and a couple of Brats.
All you computer whiz kids out there, like Mr. Pockets, better get crackin'.
Old 07-03-2001, 08:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: The name "Alcyone"

Quote:
Originally posted by ehowe

Actually, if I'm correct (My japanese/history is a bit rusty), But I beleive Subaru, in Japanese, is actually a star cluster, of six stars, hence the symbol... And the Alcyone is a particularly bright star in this cluster... The Alcyone is in reference to the racing line, the Subaru XT and XT-6 were both Alcyone's, as is the SVX... The Impreza is another star from this cluster, FYI. A little bit of useless trivia. =)
Actually, the Subaru logo is that of the constellation "Pleiades," using only six of the "seven sisters" of the "Pleiades" to represent the merging of six separate entities to form Fuji Heavy Industries. Alcyone, indeed is the brightest of the stars of the Pleides constellation.

In Greek mythology, the Pleiades represent the seven daughters of Atlas and of Pleione, the daughter of Oceanus. Their names were Electra, Maia, Taygete, Alcyone, Celaeno, Sterope, and Merope. According to some versions of the myth, they committed suicide from grief at the fate of their father, Atlas, or at the death of their sisters, the Hyades. Other versions made them the attendants of Artemis, goddess of wildlife and of hunting, who were pursued by the giant hunter Orion, but were rescued by the gods and changed into doves. After their death, or metamorphosis, they were transformed into stars, but are still pursued across the sky by the constellation Orion.

As for the constellation references, the Pleiades is a loose cluster of 400 to 500 stars, about 415 light-years from the solar system in the direction of the constellation Taurus. The stars are about 1 light-year apart, on the average, and photographs show them to be surrounded by a nebulosity that shines by their reflected light. The cluster was named by the ancient Greeks after the "Seven Sisters" of mythology. Observers have claimed to be able to see with the naked eye as many as 12 of the stars in the cluster.

And who said we couldn't learn anything on this board.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-03-2001, 09:22 AM
ehowe

Ah, documentation, too!

Here's the documentation on "What is Subaru from FHI's site. I think I got the english version here. Wonderful explaination, BTW, Aredubjay. =) Thanks.

http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru/bodb00.htm

It's a decent explaination of how the name came up in the first place. And what a wonderful name it is, eh? =)
Old 07-03-2001, 11:52 AM
Lowered SVX

randy....

just when i begin to believe you are a true southerner you show signs of intelligence......what am i going to do with you!! very cool story. oh, by the way, i am a taurus......i knew it was in the stars for me to buy my SVX.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-03-2001, 12:14 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Ah, documentation, too!

Quote:
Originally posted by ehowe
Here's the documentation on "What is Subaru from FHI's site. I think I got the english version here. Wonderful explaination, BTW, Aredubjay. =) Thanks.

http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru/bodb00.htm

It's a decent explaination of how the name came up in the first place. And what a wonderful name it is, eh? =)
Excellent! Glad you led us to that. I am happy, however, that they didn't decide to call the car a "Mutsuraboshi." For one thing, it's too close to "Mitsubishi," and, for another, it wouldn't fit on the wheel caps.

<<just when i begin to believe you are a true southerner you show signs of intelligence......what am i going to do with you!! very cool story. oh, by the way, i am a taurus......i knew it was in the stars for me to buy my SVX.>>

I have my moments of "briliance," Leo -- they're just few and far between, and usually followed by the playing of "Duelling Banjos" just to bring me back to my true status.

As for evidence of why I KNOW I was supposed to have this car -- I chronicled this on the Yahoo site, but, it bears repeating here.

A: The SVX Debuted in August -- My birthday is in August -- I found the car in August.

B: The pre-debut brochure tauted the SVX as a "Thorobred" -- Where do you think of when you think of thorobreds?

C: One evening, shortly after seeing and driving the car, I actually, half-heartedly, asked God for a sign that I should get the car (I know, it ain't right), and immediately saw a shooting star. I discounted that "sign" saying, nah! That wasn't God. until . . .

D: The next morning, I was driving to work in my Suzuki Sidekick, listening to NPR. I hadn't been in my car ten minutes, when somehow, within a conversation on "All Things Considered" about constellations, the fact that the car company Subaru used the Plaiedes as their logo came up. What are the chances of that? So, I went that afternoon and signed the deal.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-03-2001, 02:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Aredub,

You may be "Star Crossed".

No pun intended.

Larry III
Hope you and Shari enjoy the 4th.
Is your son (Seth ?) back to "normal" yet ?
Do you think that we should give genuine SVX Mr. Pockets Watches as LIP prizes?
Old 07-03-2001, 03:59 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Aredub,

You may be "Star Crossed".

No pun intended.

Larry III
Hope you and Shari enjoy the 4th.
Is your son (Seth ?) back to "normal" yet ?
Do you think that we should give genuine SVX Mr. Pockets Watches as LIP prizes?
Thank you for the best wishes, Larry. Hope you and Rosie don't get too stuffed on those wonderful Italian "dainties" I'm sure you'll be having. Say hello to Guido and Lefty and "One Eared Mike."

I think MR. POCKETS watches are a splendid idea.

And, no, my son, Micah (Seth is tat2skullz -- and he's a good "kid" too), is probably scarred for life. He will forever remember your lesson of camparison to "gratutitous violence," and he is forever looking for the "bah." He had also informed his mother, before the Rockford meet, that "If Larry's there, I'm goin' and you're stayin' home." What have I gotten myself into. This car has made my whole family "whack." "D
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-03-2001, 09:52 PM
Lowered SVX

my three license plate ideas......

MONYPIT and ITZFAST or even MY94SVX. which do you guys like the best? my wife likes MY94SVX because then her plate can be MY00GTI.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-03-2001, 10:24 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Leo,
MONYPIT sounds so great now.
but... MY94SVX would be nice. She can have MY00GTI. Say hi to your wife for me.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Lowered SVX

consider it done lwin......

i just looked over at the couch and she is just knocked the hell out.....she looks so cute just sleeping......: ) sorry guys, i guess it is a newlywed thing!
"Too much fun to drive!"