Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
alacrity024

well just about every piece of advice i would've given is either immediately invalid because i'm 21, or has already been said.. however

I loved the taillights you put on the flash impala.. i don't think i ever laughed so hard at a flash animation.. and i've seen some pretty funny flash animations..

-adam
Old 12-09-2002, 01:43 PM
$VX

I wasnt trying to 'overtake' her. Its a one way street, with two lanes. I was just driving in my lane... and as I went past her she was starting to slow down with her blinker on... so I figured she wanted to get into my lane, behind me. I was wrong, apparently she wanted to turn into my car. >:|

- Ca$h
Old 12-09-2002, 01:45 PM
$VX

I thought you guys would like that. The new impalas are so freakin ugly.

- Ca$h
Old 12-09-2002, 01:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Based on his animation...

Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe
As a motorcyclist I know that there is almost always a way to anticipate other people's stupidity and avoid it, but sometimes there just isn't.

CJ
I'm no motorcyclist, but I agree - you just can't drive defensively enough to avoid every accident. Based on Rob's description of the accident, and the photos which he provided, it sounds to me like the other driver simply wasn't paying attention.

That's a shame, but it's hardly surprising. Take a quick glance around you nest time you're on the road - half the people out there are distracted by one thing or another. The guy in front of you is on the phone. The lady behind you is reading the newspaper. And then there's me - I'm closely watching everybody else around me and *****ing loudly how nobody is paying attention to what they're doing.

That's why I drive the Justy! No fancy gadgets (like, for instance, working heat) to be distracted by! Heck, I can't force people to ride in the thing - so no distracting passengers, either!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-09-2002 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:56 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Unhappy Speaking of not paying attention...

One of my friends has actually witnessed a guy driving while playing the guitar. He evidently was using one foot for gas/brake, the other to steer, and his hands to play. How's that for scary?

P.S. It was in a 5mph traffic jam, but still!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Based on his animation...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

That's why I drive the Justy! No fancy gadgets (like, for instance, working heat) to be distracted by! Heck, I can't force people to ride in the thing - so no distracting passengers, either!
Rub it in why don't ya. I already miss that red and silver beauty. Had to drive the Brat all weekend w/o the cap on so I had all my ski crap in the cab with me. Not real room plus you wanna talk about no heat. The thing isn't heating up past 1/4 of the way up! Hopefully this new XT6 on the way will fill my void.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Speaking of not paying attention...

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
One of my friends has actually witnessed a guy driving while playing the guitar. He evidently was using one foot for gas/brake, the other to steer, and his hands to play. How's that for scary?

Sheesh! And I thought seeing the lady, coming up hot on my tail while applying her MASCARA was scary.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I wasnt trying to 'overtake' her. Its a one way street, with two lanes. I was just driving in my lane... and as I went past her she was starting to slow down with her blinker on... so I figured she wanted to get into my lane, behind me. I was wrong, apparently she wanted to turn into my car. >:|

- Ca$h
I hate to be an ass but if she has the blinkers on, I'd slow down a bit and make sure she doesn't do anything dumb. Chances are she wanted to turn, You came up too quick and she did not check her blind spot.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:13 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Speaking of not paying attention...

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

I called my insurance company on my cell phone, pull out my insurance card, my DL and read her the #s on an onramp going at 60mph driving a stick shift to renew my policy. How's that for scary?

And every single accident was cause by some 18 wheeler/ truck running into my car at a stop light.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: Speaking of not paying attention...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Sheesh! And I thought seeing the lady, coming up hot on my tail while applying her MASCARA was scary.
that reminded me of a story, my stepdad was going down a oneway street and some lady, applying mascara was coming down it the wrong way and hit him head on, her eye wasn't too happy about that one!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Based on his animation...

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Rub it in why don't ya. I already miss that red and silver beauty. Had to drive the Brat all weekend w/o the cap on so I had all my ski crap in the cab with me. Not real room plus you wanna talk about no heat. The thing isn't heating up past 1/4 of the way up! Hopefully this new XT6 on the way will fill my void.
Oh, I wasn't kidding about the heat. It's like 10 degrees every morning when I go to work. The Justy is drafty, so it really doesn't warm up inside at all until I get off the freeway fifteen minutes later.

No kidding, I noticed this morning that my breath was causing snow to fall on the steering wheel.

I've been noticing an increasing amount of frost on the inside of the Justy's windows. A friend of mine told me his theory, that the snow I track into the car melts and evaporates, then freezes when the car cools down.

I explained to him that the problem with his theory, as it applies to my Justy, is that the snow I track into the car never gets melted.

I also explained that I consider these endearing qualities part of the Justy experience.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-09-2002, 02:26 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

I hate to be an ass but if she has the blinkers on, I'd slow down a bit and make sure she doesn't do anything dumb. Chances are she wanted to turn, You came up too quick and she did not check her blind spot.

L
She put her blinkers on basically when I was almost next to her. Trust me, there's no way you could've dodged this lady. Hell, look at where she hit me! Over half my car was completley PAST her when she decided to turn into the back of me. :|

- Ca$h
Old 12-09-2002, 02:46 PM
FifthElement

Unhappy

The flash you created is basically exactly how my first and only accident occured. Only unfortunately, I wasn't the one who got hit.

For me it was at a red light. I checked the mirrors real quick, saw nothing, and then proceeded to change lanes. Needless to say, two vehicles can definitely not occupy the same lane. Damn Newton and his laws of physics!

The young lady I hit (more like scratched/dented since both cars were traveling about 5 mph) was in my blindspot when I checked the mirrors, as I'll bet you were in hers.

I ended up scratching/denting this young lady's car from her front fender to the back door. I was the one who caused the accident, yet she was the one who was crying! I felt terrible for her since I completely ruined her day. Of course a few days later, after I had to pay about a grand, those feelings were replaced with anger towards this young lady for getting in MY way.

What baffles me is how did she manage to take out the back of your car??? You'd think that if the front of your car was exposed enough to not get hit, she'd see you. I guess some people have their heads up their asses when they drive, especially drivers of SUVs/trucks.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:59 PM
$VX

No idea man, no idea. I wasn't even speeding or anything (well not severely... 25-30mph max)... it was 8:05am... not really the ideal time for hauling ass.... everything is too serene. I was listening to Christmas music too. Heh.

- Ca$h
Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 PM
AbdominalSnoman

You guys have no idea how many times the same thing has almost happened to me by ford excursions. Our cars don't even come up to the level of the windows and mirrors.

Both times I've had a wreck it was judged a no fault. One time it was definately without a doubt my fault, but the cop felt pity on me since my car was the only one damaged. I was following a f150 with a boat trailer and some guy pulls out infront of him from a parallel parking spot. He slams on his brakes, skids and almost hits him. I slam on my brakes don't skid (abs is both the best and worst thing) and would have stopped about 6 inches past where his boat trailer started. It hit right in the middle of the hood, bent that thing all to hell, broke my radiator, bent the front cross member that the radiator mounts to, and broke the mesh stuff out of the grill. The insurance estimated it at $3300, after the deductible I get 2800, and get the car fixed for $2000.

The other time it was not my fault at all. There was a semi in the left lane in a 5 lane road. He is going about 15 mph, turns into the left turn lane, I am about to pass him in the right lane, when he quickly swings to the right to make a right turn. I slam on the brakes, the f150 behind me slams on his brakes and stops kind of sideways a foot behind me so I can't back up. I stop right in the middle of where his trailer is. (ironically he was taking totaled cars to a junk yard) I lay on the horn but he doesn't hear and hits me, something catches right in front of the back wheel drags me about 10 feet until I get wedged between him and a light post where my car abruptly stops him. Only then does he stop. The cop that comes says that he is doing me a favor by calling it a no fault because he claims that semis are allowed to take up as much of the road as they need to make a turn and that he had his turn signal on. I get really pissed and point out that his turn signal was not on and show him that even though he has his 4way flashers on, neither the turn signal on the back of the trailer or on the side are working on the right side. He still doesn't back down. Anyways it is estimated at $3500, I get $3000 and get it fixed for $2300. It seems that getting in wrecks is the easiest way to make money for me. . . Oh, in SC your insurance doesn't go up if you get in a no-fault accident.