How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-02-2002, 10:10 PM
I_Alcyone_I

O/T A+ Cert.

I'm reading up to get my A+ certification and im noticing that a lot of this stuff is not only severly outdated, but some of it is completely wrong. I'm sure someone here has taken their A+ and I was just wondering are all the books, and the test like this, or do I just have a misprinted book?
Old 11-02-2002, 10:34 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
From glancing at my cousin's A+ books several months ago.
yes
yes
no
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Just follow the guides. The test isn't about being able to actually know what's right, its about learning to memorize.

I had finished the CNE (Certified Novell Engineer for you youngins )program in 1992 which was actually about what you know, but when I took my A+ back in 1994 I thought it was a joke. It was so abstract and erroneous, I just answered the way I thought they wanted to hear and curbed my desire to answer them correctly and I passed.

My personal view on most certifications is that they are designed to allow HR people to hire technical people. Companies use certifications as an arbitrary rule to filter down the candidates to make for less interviews. I understand their use, I couldn't afford to have a skilled consultant spend all day talking to job candidates to see if they really know what they are doing, so it has to be done by a less expensive person.

When I do a company resume for my consulting firm, I never list any of my consultant's certifications. You know how many times I've been asked for them by potential clients during the three and a half years I've been running my business? None.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-03-2002, 07:45 AM
NickF

What book are you using? Some are better than others. The last one I looked ad had a section on configuring firewire, so it's fairly current.

When I got my MCSE a while back it was after about 200 hours of various Microsoft-certified classes, and the instructors all went out of their way to let us know that on the certification tests there were 3 possible answers for each question:

1) the correct answer
2) the wrong answer
3) the Microsoft answer

They told us to use the Microsoft answer, of course.

On the other hand I found that the A+ test was mostly a question of reading each question and the possible answers carefully and using common sense. (For example, if two possible answers to a question are:

a) the hard drive
b) the hard disk drive

the right answer is b.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:03 PM
I_Alcyone_I

The only reason i am trying to get it is because like you said most busnesses use it to filter out potential employees. All of this information is completely useless. I think they should change the test to a linup of several computers that have diferent problems and you have to fix the problems, of course the test would be much more expensive and time consuming, so I guess that's good enough reason to not have it like that.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:07 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<I think they should change the test to a lineup of several computers that have different problems and you have to fix the problems>>

You just summed up how I test prospects

I always have one machine with the wrong netmask set. That really weeds out the people who know from those that don't. Only a few good thinkers can actually determine that the gateway set is outside of the particular mask.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker