How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM

Registered SVX
Remote starter

Anyone have a remote starter on the SVX? Is it causing any problems with the alarm and door locks?
Has anyone put one on a manual tranny automobile any make ? If so what were the results. Like or dislike ?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Re: Remote starter

I put one in a Sunfire ( NOT mine LOL.. )The difference I noted in putting one in a stick shift, was the extra sensing wire for the dome light. To "ARM" the remote starter, you had to be in neutral, parking brake set, and then open the door. Then shut it off. It kept running until you closed the door. That let you know that it was "ARMED"..

I would assume that that was to ensure that you couldn't start it in gear, (bypassing the clutch switch). I guess that as much as an automatic disables the starter in all selector ranges except for Park and Neutral, the dome light thing and run on on the stick shift install was an equivalent safety feature. Also, some automatics won't let you take the keys out unless the shifter is in Park.

Kinda like how you can't shift out of Park in an SVX without putting your foot on the brake pedal, manufacturers put in certain safety protocols into the ignition system, and remote starter manufacturers replace them with their own criteria.

For less than fifteen bucks, a complete wiring guide for wiring remote starters and stereos in an SVX.. other years available at a similar price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1994-Subaru-S...12fc0fe&_uhb=1
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Registered SVX

Python makes the one I am looking at! You stop the car ,foot on brake,car in N.put e brake on. Take foot off brake, press remote button. Lights flash 5 times. Turn off key, car still runs. Leave car, lock doors ,car stops running. If anyone unlocks the door it cancels the remote start function.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Check with Shane Hobson here in New Zealand, he got one fitted on his SVX.
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX

I would if I know how to contact him!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:03 AM

Search for shanehobson - one word
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM

info@shanehobson.com works
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

If or when you get the info you need please post it here for all of us.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

I will share of course. Still waiting to hear from remote starter people . Especially 5 speed on any car.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:17 AM

I have a question about the factory security system is there a wire on the system for [Factory Alarm Disarm] and [Factory Alarm Rearm]
The remote start harness has 2 wire if they do that I have to hook up.

Remote Start Primary Harness (H1), 9-pin harness:

• H1/1 (Light Green/Black): [Factory Alarm Disarm] security system

• H1/2 (Green/White): [Factory Alarm Rearm] security system
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I had an autostarter/ 2-way on my SVX that I still kept after converting to manual. Had removed NSS so it could start without the clutch being engaged. NJ doesn't have anything in the much of safety testing anymore so that was fine. You do lose cruise control however.

It's arguably more dangerous with that route since you could start in gear by accident. Had it that way for about a year, then someone started my car with the remote by accident, and then the car rammed into the garage door.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Registered SVX

The new starters are designed for stick shift. viper I believe is one.. You set brake and place in N and get out of car running. When you lock the door it shuts off. If you unlock the door before you remote start it won't remote start. That proves to the remote that the car will not move when started i do not understand the above mention of factory security system wiring?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM

I had one on my old lifted gl. No fancy switches hooked up, so if I tried to start it while it was in gear it would move. If it was in low and previously warmed up, it would start and drive off at two miles an hour. Had it hooked to the brake light switch so if you forgot to put in the key, it would shut off when you hit the foot brake. I'll be putting this in my svx at some point.
79 Subaru FE
97 Impreza sport flintstone edition
78 BRAT!
76 Alfa Romero GTV
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 AM

Registered SVX

My current 97 has one installed. i don't even bother with the svx alarm because i have the lock hooked up to the remote but i'm guessing that you could set the wiring up in a way that it would disarm the alarm. probably would have to wire into the alarm wiring though because it doesn't turn off the alarm when just unlocking the doors i can tell you that much. when my alarm is enabled i can remote start no problem but when unlocking the doors i have like 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition or alarm will go off.
1992 Dark Teal LS-L 237k #103994 (Sold)
GC8 Nardi Steering Wheel/
Crossed Drilled Rotors/
18" Exel Evo Wheels/15min Mod/
6k HIDs/ECU Crush Mod/
Power Mode Mod

1997 Brilliant Red LSI 151k #100109
PWR AU Radiator, Stebro Catback, Hella Supertones, SS Brake Lines, Cross Drilled Rotors, QC, Power Mode Mod, SSR GT3 Wheels 18x8 et35

1997 Ebony Mica LSi 177k #100321