Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

If you came into some play money, what would you buy

As many know I'm still recovering from my motorcycle getting in the way of a drunk cager before xmas and now that there has been some movement on the insurance front I'm looking at buying myself a "because it makes me happy" purchase. The remainder of any settlement will go to bland sensible things.

I know a 2nd biike is a tough sell with the wife thoug a guzzi isn't out of the question so most likely I'd be looking at a car. The only real requirements are it must be inspectable, rot free and likely to stay rot free while sitting outside (likeky on the street unless it is nicer then the current stable), at a low point or starting to climb in value, reliable enough to use for anything I'd want, ac or good ventilation, fixable w/o a master mechanic boat and college fund and not a waste on the insurance side of things. Oh and would prefer 4 seats or a 2+2

Cars on my current short list: Bentley Turbo R (a bit more than I'd like to soend but 600ft/lbs of pure fun plus it can make money for photo shoots and local rap vdeos), Rover Disco or Series 1-3 L.R./Defender, Jag XJS pre 91coupe v12, BMW 6 series (though rust scares me, early Jag XK8 coupe, later Mas BiTurbo but again with the rust plus mechanics, later smuggled in real mini (not the BMW crap), Audi GT or VW scirroco ml 1 but again with rust finally, Porkhaus 944 though it lacks that extra seating

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by benebob; 04-13-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
Re: If you came into some play money, what would you buy

so nothing new?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

My 993 has been a pure joy to own so far. Parts are a bit more expensive, but the cars are very well built and actually very easy to work on.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I would buy a Suzuki GT750 2 stroke AKA Water Buffalo. I'm saving my pennies for one.
Here's a nice 1976...http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ474035934
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM

No, nothing new doubt I'll ever buy another new car b/c they just loose value.

sickie, I'm stretching my taste buds with a 944 (but it is very much an under the radar type car) let alone a car that looks like it fell off the bathfitter truck LOL, Seriously a 911 variant wouldn't be a car to sit outside my house without attracting those pesky porkhaus galking good for nothing kids.

Blacky, a h20 buffalo. You do know I was just almost killed by no fault of my own on a bike (found religion too as now I ride with Jesus and Budda and a Hindu Diety. You want me to get probably the most dangerous bike made in the past 50 years. I'd have to order more action figures to attach to the bike plus start shopping for a new wife.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Ya, it's this 2 stroke thing I have. I wore out my '82 PE250 and bought a YZ250(Y). Now I see a GT750 in my future.
What do you see as the danger, the engine and power curve or the handling and brakes (or lack of)?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

NSX would be a nice toy, as would a 3rd Gen RX7, a Mercedes SLK230 or a BMW 328i M3. I like the 944 quite a bit as well as a Boxter. My father inlaw is into Triumphs so I'm kind of getting interested in those as well.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Ya, it's this 2 stroke thing I have. I wore out my '82 PE250 and bought a YZ250(Y). Now I see a GT750 in my future.
What do you see as the danger, the engine and power curve or the handling and brakes (or lack of)?
They handle like crap, brake like crap and go like stink.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
NSX would be a nice toy, as would a 3rd Gen RX7, a Mercedes SLK230 or a BMW 328i M3. I like the 944 quite a bit as well as a Boxter. My father inlaw is into Triumphs so I'm kind of getting interested in those as well.
NSX is too rare to park in the street as is a 3rd gen rx7 (they both lack the desired torque for my tastes anyways). 3 Series=chick car, slk 230=chick car x2, triumphs rot faster than you can say fiat.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If I suddenly had a bunch of money to play with I'd buy two porsche 914s. Make one electric, and make the other very fast.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

I'd buy either a 2nd gen MR2, (clean) 240sx, 2nd gen RX-7, Celica All-Trac, Altezza, FR-S, or 850i.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 AM

Registered SVX

I know you have probably already thrown out these 2, but if I was spending "fun" money either a low mile SVX or a BRZ and add either the turbo or supercharger kits to the BRZ (this is a Subaru SVX forum after all)
1992 Teal SVX parts car
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 AM

Obviously you all are missing the criteria. I want something ROT FREE and likely to stay that way. You can probably add no Japanese sh$t boxes to the mix as there are a limited number of vehicles that I'd consider from Japan and virtually non that meet the criteria of being an outside car. The only one I can think of is a mx3 v6 but by now they're all tired Also remember it needs to be something that is increasing in value, not dropping like a BRZ aka today's celica chick car (you can only drive if your gf is in the pass. seat)

As for a 914, yeah, they don't rot.

Keep 'em coming

Last edited by benebob; 04-14-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

go for the bentley... you could be the first on the board with one lol
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Go against the grain and buy nothing. Invest or save your money. Consider buying some REW ETF shares. When you make a killing, donate some of it to a charity that touches you.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything