How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Okay, What Did I do? Strut Replacment

Hi Guys, quick question. I has some clunking noise coming from my struts so I bought new ones through Subaru parts and replaced them. The clunking noise is gone but I now I have a new noise. When I turn hard right I get a grinding noise, almost like the tire is rubbing. I took it in to get an alignment and they said everything looked good. Any ideas? When I search for possible reasons I get that I need to replace the struts. Well, check. Anything else?

Thanks.

FWIW, My struts were dated April of 2012. I know there has been some conversation on this, but mine appeared to be new.

Dust
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: Okay, What Did I do? Strut Replacment

Wheel bearings? That was the problem on a friend's bugeye wagon. Made a horrible creaking sound when the wheel was cranked at low speeds.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM

May be associated with the drive shaft?

Keith
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM

Ya, I'm definitely thinking that it is the drive shaft. I just received me new end links today, tomorrow I will get back under there and take a closer look. I'm wondering if the axle came out of the spindle just enough to cause tension on the CV? We'll see.

Thanks for the responses

Dust
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Grinding noise or scraping noise? When I got it, my blue car made a scraping noise when turning that turned out to be the dust shield getting pushed against the brake rotor by the tie rod.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue94 View Post
Ya, I'm definitely thinking that it is the drive shaft. I just received me new end links today, tomorrow I will get back under there and take a closer look. I'm wondering if the axle came out of the spindle just enough to cause tension on the CV? We'll see.

Thanks for the responses

Dust
I've had something similar happen to me when I worked on a Forester front strut replacement. One one side, the half shaft came out of the front diff by about 3/8" and this caused a constant grinding type sound. It sounds like you maybe on the right track. Lift up the front of the vehicle, rest on jack stands and then inspect both half shafts to see if one may be slightly out. I can't quite recall but I thought our half shafts are located in place with a tension pin of some sort? Guess I'll find out when I replace one of them this spring.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM

Well I finally got under the car and went over everything. Guess what? I had pulled the drivers side drive shaft out of the diff housing about .5 inches. I wiggled it back in and it fixed it. I am a little embarrassed that I didn't check this when I was finishing up the first time. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

alia176, They are pinned into the shaft of the differential, however that shaft has a little play. Thanks for the info.

On a side note I replaced my end links and the car is as quite as when it was new. If you are having strange sounds coming from your front end it is well worth the $50 investment. (from Ebay not Subaru)

Dust
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The output shafts are held in the differential with a circlip.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM

What an interesting thread.

I just had my struts replaced two weeks ago at a local Meinike (and I generally like this place). After getting the car back I heard a clicking noise matching the speed that would come and go at lower speeds. Figuring something was loose or bent I took it back to the shop and they told me intermediate bushing on the drive shaft is too worn, it's giving too much play, and I should go to a driveshaft expert (which they admit they are not).

Then I find this thread, which is oddly relevant. So I'm wondering what the odds are that the shaft is just out of place? Naturally, I'm willing to believe that any original part on this '96 is fair game for replacement, but especially since the expert they recommended is a few towns over I'd rather not go to that trouble if it's something that can be nudged back in place.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Oh nice, you're near me. What brand struts did they use? Do you hear it constantly or only when you're driving up near a wall when the sound is reflecting back at you?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 AM

I believe they were Subaru struts, I got them myself from here:
http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...et/farest.html

I wouldn't say the sound is reflected, only that it seems more likely at lower speeds like when braking. At worst it's loud enough to be worrisome, but that seems short and infrequent.