Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
Another Window problem

Both front windows worked fine then one day the passengers side won't go down. I checked to make sure the motor was good by by passing the switch with an extra car battery. It went down, then I switched polarity and it went up. I put the Window back down and hooked the swith up again. It went up but not down. With the Window up I push up on the switch and you can hear the motor work. I switched switches from the rear same thing. I did the same test on the passenger rear Window but it work opposite (down but not up)

is it the master switch?

Thanks

obtw I did do a search and I did make sure that the Window lock button was not activated. Lpl

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
Re: Another Window problem

Bump

anyone?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Try opening up the master window switches and cleaning the contacts. It worked for one of mine that was acting weird. If you take apart the master window switch, hold it upside down while you do, otherwise little springs and stuff will fall out all over the place.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

So I hold it upside down? Lol jow dono take it apart?

Thanks for the reply

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Try opening up the master window switches and cleaning the contacts. It worked for one of mine that was acting weird. If you take apart the master window switch, hold it upside down while you do, otherwise little springs and stuff will fall out all over the place.
I wish someone had told me that before I took mine apart a few months back! I managed to get the passenger window working again, but I never got the window lock button put back together right so now that doesn't work, lol
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialFX View Post
I wish someone had told me that before I took mine apart a few months back! I managed to get the passenger window working again, but I never got the window lock button put back together right so now that doesn't work, lol
Yea I found out the hard way too, luckily I was at a desk so the little tiny pieces didn't get away from me and I was able to figure out how to put them back in.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

So I took my switch apart.... They contacts seem to be touching right on all 4 bu the Window stl only goes up. New switch?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM

Registered SVX

Clean the contacts, may not be making a good connection even though it's touching.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

Thanks guys for you help and suggestions

I read about cleaning the contacts before I started this thread but am still curious on how the contacts get dirty enough to not conduct.... Just 20yrs of light dust?

Anyways to close the thread problem is solved

took apart the switch and made sure all contacts were touching at rest then I got contact cleaner for 8$ at parts store, sprayed all contacts lightly and bam like new.... So far lol

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Registered SVX
Talking Re: Another Window problem

Windows 8 just came out but am not sure how backwards compatible it'll be... ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for posting your solution. I've got the same problem that needs fixing.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)