Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Question 5spd Swap

I think my transmission is dead in my 92, It goes about 10 feet in first goes to shift, and disengages and this is just after an engine swap because my other svx was having tranny problems. As it seems that I can not win with the auto tranny , I have decided to look into putting a manual in.

I have a few questions before I go about doing this.

1. What transmissions fit in the svx, like out of what cars?

2. Would it be cheaper/better to buy a wrecked car for its 5spd or buy all new parts, and if so does anyone have any places to recommend?

3. For a 5spd swap would it be easier to pull the interior, or engine or both? I just had the engine out no less than a week ago so pulling that wouldn't be too hard.

If anyone else has some tips from experience or ideas, please let me know. I am new to this so any other info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 5spd Swap

See link in my sig.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Registered SVX

Pull the interior ???????????? Y
USED I would think would be the way to go. NEW from a dealer ... OUCH I just got burned talking about it .
If you don't plan on beating on it, then a Legacy tranny will work .
If you want it to last and take the beating , then a WRX tranny newer than 03 is the right choice . . Just going by what I have been told .
Here again though t he Legacy is cheaper and maybe easier to find.
I don;t know if a Forester is better than a Legacy and I have heard people have had luck even with the Impreza .
READ the instructions HUCK has sent you . GET as much of the Standard parts as you can. You can always throw stuff U don't use a way .
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

By pull the "interior or engine" he means should he pull the trans from underneath or pull the trans and engine together. Up to your personal taste, but you will be spending a lot of time under the car in either case. If you can get it on a lift, that would be awesome, but that's not something available to most DIYers.

A new trans would be pretty expensive. Used would be what I'd do (well, did). A WRX or a legacy GT trans are best (any turbo subie basically), but you can get away with the N/A ones if you have no choice. Literally any subaru manual transmission will bolt up to the EG33 though.

You'll need a lengthened driveshaft, a custom crossmember (sometimes available around here), lengthened shift linkages (pull them from the donor car). Those are the difficult things to get.

If I was in the market for another manual swap I'd buy this: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57514
He's got everything except I think the lengthened driveshaft and maybe the linkages.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM

I was also thinking it could be the torque converter causing this problem, because the transmission was working quite nicely before I did the engine swap. Afterwards it drove for like a day, started slipping out of gear, and now it takes a good 10 mins to engage, and goes about 10 feet before it disengages. I pulled one of the lines off to see the flow of the fluid, and it is a pretty weak stream. I'm not great with automatic transmissions and there inner workings, so I'm guessing here.

Does anyone have any insight in this?

I just want to make sure the transmission is dead, before I drop 2 grand into a manual.

Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Registered SVX

You may have not had the torque converter fully seated and damaged/killed the pump. Seems like that's where this is headed.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM

So if that is the case would I be better off fixing it, or just go with the 5spd?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljam View Post
So if that is the case would I be better off fixing it, or just go with the 5spd?

Thanks
Probably 5 spd. If the pump is in fact bad, which it sounds like, you're looking at pulling the transmission, tearing it all apart, or most of it, having to buy either a new, or a good used pump, putting it all back together all this while having it in a clean environment-no dust, dirt, grime, etc., and then putting it back in the car. Your best bet is to just go ahead with the 5 spd swap IMO.