Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Seat Compatibility

I tried the search function and wasn't too successful. I am trying to determine whether there are other seat options (driver/passenger front seats) be it from subaru or other manufacturers that would be compatible with the svx. I'd like to stick with leather and have seats with a bit more bolster for the driver's seat (I have the koni/gc setup and am tired of sliding out of my seat when going through corners spiritedly!). Thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

- Chris
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Seat Compatibility

What fits is what you can make fit. There might be some Legacy/Impreza ones that come close, but none that are a direct swap AFAIK, and none that are exactly nicer than the stock SVX leather IMO. I would just re-upholster the stock seats personally.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
What fits is what you can make fit. There might be some Legacy/Impreza ones that come close, but none that are a direct swap AFAIK, and none that are exactly nicer than the stock SVX leather IMO. I would just re-upholster the stock seats personally.
I think your missing the point of what he is asking, he isnt saying his seats are worn out, though they might be.
He is saying he wants a more sports oriented seat, one that holds you in better, such as the ones with high sides and deeper back support so you do not slide around during cornering.
From the little that I have seen the STI seats may fit that bill, though I am unsure if they are leather, you might be able to custom cover them in leather though.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I think your missing the point of what he is asking, he isnt saying his seats are worn out, though they might be.
He is saying he wants a more sports oriented seat, one that holds you in better, such as the ones with high sides and deeper back support so you do not slide around during cornering.
From the little that I have seen the STI seats may fit that bill, though I am unsure if they are leather, you might be able to custom cover them in leather though.
Some are leather and some are not. The leather ones are about $1000 or higher so you could always go with the cheaper ebay seats from China.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Bugeye WRX (02-03) seat can be made to fit and are wonderfully "huggy". I have been planning to add a set to my car for a while (actually have them sitting at home right now), and contacted Katzkin about replacing the fabric with leather to match the SVX's pleated style that the rear seats have. I believe it was ~$600 for the leather kit.

Just like this, but with the center panels done in the same style as the OEM SVX leather: (Sorry about the huge picture, NASIOC automatically downsizes them).

As a bonus, the ones I picked up are heated . I had planned to run the heating circuit off the power seat wiring and add the switched to the center console just like the newer Subies.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 04-18-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 AM

The OEM svx leather seats are comfortable, but mine are worn and I really do prefer a sportier seat with side bolsters, these seats just seem more supportive.

Crazy Pilot...what do a set (driver's/passengers front) of 02/03 WRX seats cost?
- Are they comparable in size to the stock svx seats?
- Did you peruse nasioc site for someone offering these seats?
- How difficult is the install? What is required?

I am wondering if more higher end seats would work as well...say Audi/Mercedes...???
Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I haven't installed mine yet, but sicksubie put a set into his car. He has a thread on the topic here.

I picked mine up locally as a trade for a digital camera. It worked out to about $270.

Higher end seats... Not too sure, and would almost certainly be more work. At the end of the day I'm sure you could make nearly any set of seats fit into the car, but where does the result become worth the effort?

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Talking Re: Seat Compatibility

I'd want a rear armrest with cup holders..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Worth the effort...i am not sure, that's why I am trying to decide at this point.

Aesthetically I like the svx seats the best, but the price for brand new seats (front only) is practically $2,000. Putting seat covers on 20 year old seats doesn't make too much since IMO since the cushions themselves are worn out. And then again I will still have the lack of bolster support.

I am realizing now that I am opening a whole new can of worms looking at other seat options (Mercedes, Audi, Porsche) all of which are relatively inexpensive...i've seen porsche seats for $600.

I am just concerned with the mounting and electrical compatibility of using other manufacturers at this point...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

You can make any seat work pretty much it depends on how much you want to hack apart the rails and weld new mounting points...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I'm thinking of doing these seats in my SVX eventually http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....EC-255.00.LL11
with rails they are slightly heavier than the WRX standard seats, but are leather, have heat and electricity... still lighter than the stock SVX seats and better fit for race
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I think the guy that redid his dash in carbon fiber had those seats, they looked really nice in the car. I would opt for an alcantra center panel in the seats though. The leather bolsters let you slide into the seat easily, and the alcantra grips your pants better to keep you there during spirited driving.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM

If I remember correctly that guy who had all the plastic interior pieces wrapped in carbon fiber did have Recaro seats however they were not the model cited by Johnnybeas.

That guy had clothlike seats that resembled one of the seats below...

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/.../overview.html

At any rate, any of these seats to include Johnnybeas are super expensive. $1,799 each! I'd like to get either the expert, ergo or orthoped ones but I can't justify the cost at the moment.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I think I'm planning on going with Corbeau FX1 seats for my car. I'd prefer the suede to leather any day. I don't know what they weight, but they're even cheaper than Buddy Club racing seats while looking better and having a less stupid name

I have one I bought locally already I'm going to test fit.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I have the Recaro Sport seats in the vinyl/synthetic suede combination in my SVX. I bought them for autocross use as they are considerably lighter than the stock beasts and much more heavily bolstered which combined with the sueded surface makes me much more secure in the seats.

I had/have two problems with them. One, I had to fabricate custom mounts. Wedge Engineering claims to have a mount for the SVX. After three attempts, they gave up on me. I had to fab them up myself. Second, I have 4 point harnesses in the car. The buckles on the shoulder straps are a PITA to get through the holes in the seat back as they are too small. Otherwise, I love them.