How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Mystery Brake Leak, Help!

If theres a price do they actually have it? there is hope!!!

bent the lines along the subframe above and over the suspension. using some nice radiator clamps that are big to go around subframe to make sure they dont move, then placing factory rock shield over brake lines, only exposing them to the elements breifly, ill try and get some pictures, unfortunately my Nikon DSLR was stolen last week, and I dont know where my camera is.

Im pretty sure im gunna do the back, and run it parallel with the right side, and and then drop them behind the subframe, above the differential housing, and attach it to that frame rail
above the diff instead of buried horrible behind the subframe and gastank. its alot easier then it looked at first and my location is still very protected, I could eventually weld
tabs to hold the the lines. I do need to order new inside lines, on the outside of that grommet they are gnarly, inside flawless but ill save that for when I swap out the rubber hoses
for stainless braided, im also considering adjustable bias, possible removal of abs, but that can be accomplished earlier this summer,

Now just to hunt down 4.44 gears, and a six speed... remove my interior and add cage, but first my F-150 351 carbmonster needs to run =D before i can have a rally monster.

Edit,

today went for the test drive, sixth stop sign from the house and went dead pedal.... yet another line is blown.
I am seriously cutting it close to making it home for my birthday....

Last edited by Jay Wrix; 03-30-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more brake line blowing.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Whatever happened with this? I've got a mystery brake fluid loss that's pretty bad too. Just started (that I noticed) the other week. Now I've replaced almost a full reservoir of fluid in two days!!!

Similarly I also can't find a single drop of fluid anywhere and haven't seen smoke.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

As was stated in previous posts, the lines run inside the car under the carpet on the passenger side. If you remove the rear seat cushion you can see where they run and exit the car to the rear.

Brake fluid doesn't vanish. If it's not in the reservoir then it's coming out somewhere. The common failure point seems to be in the rear around the subframe, in which case there are a few spots the fluid could run down the underbody and take a while to actually drip off.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I was just wondering what the final outcome was on this particular case, as well as the difficulty/cost of repair. Yeah, I figured I'm probably in the same boat as the others with the disappearing brake fluid act...

...just about every day there's some little thing I need to fix. Makes me feel like parking this car and driving my XT6 again, until I get this thing running better.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

This repair doesn't have to cost much depending on whether you can splice in a piece of hi press rubber/ stainless, or replace a short run with steel. The lines around the rear subframe can be tough to access. Tough part is finding it.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket