SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Snow tire question.

Saw my first snow today. And by the radar, it looks like lake effect off lake Ontario. It is reaching pretty far down NY state. And I was mowing while it was falling!!! Looks like the snows will be going on soon.......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM
One teal and One yellow

that's fast. I m not ready for snow yet.

it's getting colder tonight. 37F.

any deal on blizzaks now? where are these made in? USA? Japan? China?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
that's fast. I m not ready for snow yet.

it's getting colder tonight. 37F.

any deal on blizzaks now? where are these made in? USA? Japan? China?
I suggest watching ebay and craigslist or going with tirerack.com. Blizzaks are made by Bridgestone and I don't know where they are made. I don't see that as a factor. I judge by performance, not origin.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

^ Bridgestones are Japanese, hard to say were the actual tire is "made" though.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

If I am running 215/55R16s and getting some rubbing on the wheel well, am I to assume that the wheel offset if not high enough? It seems like the most likely spot where it is rubbing is on the outside edge of the wheel well.

The guy I bought the AT Italia rims from said he had them on an SVX. He didn't have the specs on the wheels so I assumed they would work since they specifically came off an SVX. I guess the lesson learned is to check the dimensions of an unknown rim before mounting tires to them.

The next question is whether or not the stock 225/50R16s will rub if mounted on these rims. If not, I could just have the tires swapped. The 215s are obviously narrower but the wheel diameter will also be larger. I would have thought that width would have been more important that length.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
^ Bridgestones are Japanese, hard to say were the actual tire is "made" though.

Very few tires are made in the US or Japan anymore. Heck over 80% of the Michelins now are made in Romania. It has more to do with enviromental issues then quality issues. I have a couple sets of Chin Shin motorcycle tires for my cb175s. They are as good if not better quality than any of the other motorcycle tires I've owned in the same catagory. As with any manufacturer they sell lines of tires. Hard as a rock through soft as butter.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
If I am running 215/55R16s and getting some rubbing on the wheel well, am I to assume that the wheel offset if not high enough? It seems like the most likely spot where it is rubbing is on the outside edge of the wheel well.

The guy I bought the AT Italia rims from said he had them on an SVX. He didn't have the specs on the wheels so I assumed they would work since they specifically came off an SVX. I guess the lesson learned is to check the dimensions of an unknown rim before mounting tires to them.

The next question is whether or not the stock 225/50R16s will rub if mounted on these rims. If not, I could just have the tires swapped. The 215s are obviously narrower but the wheel diameter will also be larger. I would have thought that width would have been more important that length.
The diameter difference between the 2 is minimal. I run 215/55s with no trouble. I'm sure you will have problems if you try other tires on those rims.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
The diameter difference between the 2 is minimal. I run 215/55s with no trouble. I'm sure you will have problems if you try other tires on those rims.
Maybe I should ask the guy what tires he was running on the rims. He specifically had them listed as SVX tires on ebay and we know how SVX stuff sells so I can only assume he is telling the truth that he had the rims on an SVX. He also mentioned that the rims could be used on an STi which also has a pretty high offset.

I just drove the car and didn't hear it scrape on any bumps. But I did hear a rubbery sqeaky/squonky noise in the rear, which is new. And when I heard what I thought was the scraping yesterday, I did have all the all-season tires stacked in the back so maybe they were rubbing together or against some part of the interior. I will keep an ear out for scraping but, damn, there are so many other noises that it makes it hard to isolate one.

I have a front end clunk/rattle/squeak combo that it driving me nuts. My mechanic checked out the suspension and couldn't find anything. The sway bar links looked good, the sway bar bushings looked good, the ball joints looked good and the tie rod ends looked good. I checked out the struts by pushing down on the car and letting it bounce back and it didn't "bounce" at all. It was nice and firm in its response. I looked at the top of the strut mounts and they looked pristine. There is so little corrosion and rubber degradation on the car that we can't begin to figure out what is wrong. I'm thinking maybe some of the parts just need to be lubed with silicone or something. The rubber may be in good condition but the metal/rubber contact surfaces might be dry.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
With AWD and a limited slip rear differential plus a low center of gravity and a pretty hefty weight, it should go quite well in the snow. However, it will go better on snow tires. Really, it isn't going that is my reason for Blizzaks. It is turning and stopping and, for that, AWD is not a big help. How much does a set of Blizzaks cost and what would it cost if you hit a patch of black ice in an intersection and smack into the rear of the car in front of you? Plus, I don't view it as extra cost. If you run Blizzaks for 4-6 months, your other tires aren't being worn down at that time. So you really aren't spending more on tires because you should end up buying tires about half as often.
Having spent a good amount of time last year driving the SVX in the snow, I feel like it has a few things going against it that made me feel a bit uncomfortable compared to when I was driving my old Legacy, which did not have a limited slip:

1. 200+ wide stock tires. They are just terrible in the snow. I could stop and start well, but turning sucked big time.

2. Low ground clearance. Very tough to drive in 6+ inches because the car becomes a snow plow quickly. Plus, you get plateaued easily because of that low clearance.

3. The car weighs 3600lb. That's a lot of metal flinging around in the snow. Throwing that weight around makes it hard to turn and stop in low traction conditions. I really felt like the weight of the car made turning a big problem, even at low speeds with low amounts of snow on the road. Dustings are my biggest fear as a driver; they take just enough grip off the road to make it very dangerous.

4. Too much power. I love the 230HP on dry surfaces. In rain/snow/ice, I'm not a fan. It's too easy to break traction, even with good snow tires like the hakkapeliitta's.

I would say to all, just keep those things in mind when you want to take your SVX out this winter. Otherwise, you might end up in a snowbank or in the back of somebody else's car.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It all comes down to knowing how to drive. I drove my silver the first winter I had it with nearly bald Kumho summer tires. It wasn't easy to do, especially since I later found out the transfer clutch was also shot in that transmission. Accelerating sucked, braking wasn't too great, but I never even got close to having an accident. Had people pull out in front of me, almost slide through stop signs into me, etc. Last winter, I still had a shot transfer clutch but had some Blizzak WS-50's in 215/55 size. I never had a fear or worry about driving in the snow, would purposely go out in the worst storms and have some fun.

In winters before, I've had a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe with bald tires, fwd, same weight or possibly heavier than the SVX, also same ground clearance, slightly less hp and same amount of torque. Didn't have a problem driving in 10+inches of snow.
also had a 95 cutlass supreme coupe, also as heavy as the SVX and same width tires but I had Goodyear assurance triple treads. Drove through anything and never felt unsure. Even in 14 inches of snow.
Before that all I drove was GM G body RWD cars and an 89 astro van. All high torque engines, heavy and rwd. Never had an issue at all and again, would purposely have fun in the snow since that is what RWD is for.

Winter driving is all about being smart, and in the deep stuff, keeping your momentum. Don't ever come to a complete stop in deeper snow unless you have to. Even if its rolling through at 1 mph, just don't ever come to a complete stop. That's how I can get through more snow with bald tires than most people can with winter tires.
I will say, that it is 10 times easier with AWD and good snow tires though.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM

For AWD and 4WD and any drive, the real problem in the winter is ice, not snow. Ice is indiscriminant: 4 wheels slide as easily as 2. Watch it at all intersections, and on bridges, shoulders and ramps. For ice, the only effective difference-makers I've found are Blizzaks, and especially studs. The advantage of the Nokians is that they are studdable. I drove with studs decades ago when they were still legal in Illinois -on RWD cars. Nothing like that again. Nothing. Not cool nor correct, but if you want maximum safety, get studs. Blizzaks -which I would put on cars for as little time as possible because their marginal value wears quickly- are the only unstudded snows I know of that make a difference on ice, and it is not a trivial difference. Their main rub is that you will need a second set of rims or to mount and dismount them each year.

I drove a Trooper for 10 of the 12 winters I had the SVX, so I would rely on that for heavy snows. The main difference from your Scouts is the reduced ground clearance you'll have. Most people get stuck in snow because their vehicles are suspended in deep snow under the car, not because they don't have superior snow tires. I drove with Michellin all-seasons in both vehicles and found them very satisfactory in all conditions and for multiple seasons.

Best, to a man set for all seasons.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It all comes down to knowing how to drive. I drove my silver the first winter I had it with nearly bald Kumho summer tires. It wasn't easy to do, especially since I later found out the transfer clutch was also shot in that transmission. Accelerating sucked, braking wasn't too great, but I never even got close to having an accident. Had people pull out in front of me, almost slide through stop signs into me, etc. Last winter, I still had a shot transfer clutch but had some Blizzak WS-50's in 215/55 size. I never had a fear or worry about driving in the snow, would purposely go out in the worst storms and have some fun.

In winters before, I've had a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT coupe with bald tires, fwd, same weight or possibly heavier than the SVX, also same ground clearance, slightly less hp and same amount of torque. Didn't have a problem driving in 10+inches of snow.
also had a 95 cutlass supreme coupe, also as heavy as the SVX and same width tires but I had Goodyear assurance triple treads. Drove through anything and never felt unsure. Even in 14 inches of snow.
Before that all I drove was GM G body RWD cars and an 89 astro van. All high torque engines, heavy and rwd. Never had an issue at all and again, would purposely have fun in the snow since that is what RWD is for.

Winter driving is all about being smart, and in the deep stuff, keeping your momentum. Don't ever come to a complete stop in deeper snow unless you have to. Even if its rolling through at 1 mph, just don't ever come to a complete stop. That's how I can get through more snow with bald tires than most people can with winter tires.
I will say, that it is 10 times easier with AWD and good snow tires though.
Easy for you to say.. you drive the only car in Sheboredom..
Old 11-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Heck over 80% of the Michelins now are made in Romania.
Where did you get that incorrect information?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Very few tires are made in the US or Japan anymore. Heck over 80% of the Michelins now are made in Romania. It has more to do with enviromental issues then quality issues. ...
..maybe that's 80% of tires that Michelin sold in Romania. Actually, Michelin has several plants in the US and Canada, and is (or was) South Carolina's fifth biggest employer. If anyone gets a chance to tour their Lexington plant where they produce earthmoving equipment tires, it'll be a treat -amazing equipment!

All big tire makers manufacture globally, but primarily for financial, and secondarily political reasons, not for environmental reasons. That'll be the day...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Where did you get that incorrect information?
Read it somewhere when the tariff on tires came out.. Didn't believe it at first but doing the eyeball research looking at tires it seems that nearly all the non OEM Michelins I've seen on cars say Made in Romania on the sidewall. Every single truck Mich. say made in romania. Never did see a cycle tire made by them that didn't say made in romania.