Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

I just bought a 1996 SVX with 72K miles on it. The owner is an elderly man who was supposedly meticulous with his cars. However, I want to make sure I do whatever I can to avoid issues.

1. What automatic transmission fluid should I use? I have seen people suggest Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 and Redline. I have heard that synthetic can help the transmission run cooler and extend its life. The car has 72K miles so would it make more sense to go with Redline or Royal Purple since they are high in esters and would condition the seals? I have looked closely at their specifications and Redline D4 is incredibly good at holding viscosity at both high and low temperatures and has a nice high flash point.
2. Should I add a friction modifier to the transmission fluid? I have had luck with it extending the life of a binding center differential in my 97 Outback. I added it to the standard Subaru ATF. The most commonly suggested one is the Lubegard in the black bottle. They claim it also aids in the transfer of heat. Any comments on whether or not this is a good idea? Redline suggested against it since they thought it might make the seals swell too much if used in conjunction with their D4 ATF.
3. Do I need an external filter since I have a post-93 SVX? If so, what brand/model of transmission filter should I use? From what I understand, the newer trannys already have two filters. One is under the battery and I can't recall where I heard the other one is. Do either of these need to be replaced when I do a filter change?
4. Does the 1996 SVX need the transmission cooler and, if so, which is the best model to install and where should it be installed? I heard that it should be before the stock cooler so the fluid won't be too cool prior to re-entering the tranny.
5. Do you guys have a preference for wheel bearings, when and if they need to be replaced, and the synthetic grease to pack them with? I found one online, NTN, that looked particularly beefy and had a warranty. There was also Timken and Beck-Arnley.
6. I plan to replace the rotors, when they need to be replaced, with high end rotors. It looks like Centric sells their cryo-treated rotors for this car. I just bought a pair for the fronts on my Tribeca, which I am replacing because they warped. If they work out well there, I may try them on the SVX. There are also rotors from that Beck-Arnley company and cross-drilled rotors from Powerstop. Those were pricey but are supposed to be particularly good at staying cool and not warping. Are their specific pads to use to deal with the heat/warping issue? I put Akebono ceramics on my Tribeca because they were supposedly gentle on the rotors.
7. I am looking at wheels and there seems to be some discrepancy on wheel offset and bolt pattern. I have seen offsets of 52 and 55 quoted as stock and I have seen 5X112 and 5X114.3 quoted as stock. Which of those is correct and what is the main source of interference to be concerned with? It appears as though the concern is the outside edge of the tire rubbing against the wheel well.
8. I have also been told that the front differential can have issues too. What gear oil do you guys like?
9. What is this MAF I saw in a few posts? It appears to be another potential point of failure.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Need parts suggestions on new-used SVX

Welcome to the site! Thats all...

except, for what it is worth, I plan on running royal purple oil in my engine I am building (not that it has anything to do with tranny oil).

Couldn't help but notice your username...

Do you own a husky or are you a fan of UW basketball?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.JPG (865.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1797.JPG (876.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.JPG (569.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1893.JPG (650.4 KB, 161 views)

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM

For what it's worth I've put 70,000+ relatively trouble-free miles on my cars using ordinary fluids (no brand preference excepting Havoline motor oil), no additives of any description, and either factory or OEM-equivalent aftermarket parts. One car has an external transmission filter and AUX cooler, the other has neither. Both are stock. I don't generally drive aggressively but I don't baby them, either.

Good luck with your car.

dcb
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

1. i use conventionl fluid
2. i would not add anything to the fluid
3. most people use a perma-cool external filter
4. i use B&M coolers on all my automatic cars
5. i used Timken when i replaced mine
6. i use Centric premium rotors on my outback and plan to use them on the svx when the time comes
7. offset is 55 and bolt pattern is the same as your tribeca 5x114.3
8. subaru extra-s
9. MAF stands for mass air flow sensor. it is located in the intake pipe just after the air box.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Do you own a husky or are you a fan of UW basketball?
Actually UCONN may be the BETTER known Huskies!!

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

If you have lots of money, a PWR all aluminum radiator is a good investment. Improves engine cooling AND tranny cooling besides added safety factor from stock radiator failure (plastic cracks).

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SilverPWRRad.JPG (174.4 KB, 153 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
Actually UCONN may be the BETTER known Huskies!!

Lee
That is correct and I am a fan of the east coast variety!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
If you have lots of money, a PWR all aluminum radiator is a good investment. Improves engine cooling AND tranny cooling besides added safety factor from stock radiator failure (plastic cracks).

Lee
I heard they were not an easy fit and the cap bumped into the hood.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I heard they were not an easy fit and the cap bumped into the hood.
you will need to trim the rubber mounts and one side of the cap to get it to fit right. it's very easy to do
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
For what it's worth I've put 70,000+ relatively trouble-free miles on my cars using ordinary fluids (no brand preference excepting Havoline motor oil), no additives of any description, and either factory or OEM-equivalent aftermarket parts. One car has an external transmission filter and AUX cooler, the other has neither. Both are stock. I don't generally drive aggressively but I don't baby them, either.

Good luck with your car.

dcb
dcarrb,

I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it. One thing about the Redline ATF is that it supposedly helps the tranny run cooler. I have been convinced by folks on the BITOG site that adding Lubegard is unnecessary with the Redline fluids as the folks at Redline are considered THE experts at formulating oils with additives. Redline is based on esters and esters tend to wet metals better, thus removing heat more efficiently. On top of that, their flash point is very high so they don't break down as easily. It would seem that, for newer models of the SVX with the redesigned trannys, that using Redline might be enough and an external cooler might not be necessary. My mechanic was against adding something and making the system more complex for a problem that may never happen. I can see his point but I don't want tranny problems down the road either.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
dcarrb,

I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it. One thing about the Redline ATF is that it supposedly helps the tranny run cooler. I have been convinced by folks on the BITOG site that adding Lubegard is unnecessary with the Redline fluids as the folks at Redline are considered THE experts at formulating oils with additives. Redline is based on esters and esters tend to wet metals better, thus removing heat more efficiently. On top of that, their flash point is very high so they don't break down as easily. It would seem that, for newer models of the SVX with the redesigned trannys, that using Redline might be enough and an external cooler might not be necessary. My mechanic was against adding something and making the system more complex for a problem that may never happen. I can see his point but I don't want tranny problems down the road either.
I'd be very leary about trusting the Redline CLAIM for flash and fire points as it is just that a CLAIM. The highest independently verified flash and fire point come from Mobil 1 synthetic atf. IMHO if Redline was any better they would provide it for independent verification, instead they refuse to do so. Sure you can pay to have it done for the cost of a couple trannies if you want. Without that I'd trust it as much as I'd trust Slick 50.

The only way to know if you are likely for transmission issues is a properly installed accurate gauge. Without that you are simply playing russian roulette.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
I'd be very leary about trusting the Redline CLAIM for flash and fire points as it is just that a CLAIM. The highest independently verified flash and fire point come from Mobil 1 synthetic atf. IMHO if Redline was any better they would provide it for independent verification, instead they refuse to do so. Sure you can pay to have it done for the cost of a couple trannies if you want. Without that I'd trust it as much as I'd trust Slick 50.

The only way to know if you are likely for transmission issues is a properly installed accurate gauge. Without that you are simply playing russian roulette.
I hear what you are saying but the folks on the BITOG site love redline and any real synthetic is going to have a significantly higher flash point than a dino fluid. M1 might be higher, as you claim, but both are way higher than dino.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Partial transmission fluid exchanges are easy on the SVX, and could be considered on a value analysis for SVX transmission repair/replacement. Typically change 5 - 6 qts every engine oil change (1 yr., 3-7.5k mi.)
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
dcarrb,
I went back and looked at this thread as I am doing a 60K service on my Tribeca and I plan to use similar fluids in the SVX. I saw that you did not install a tranny cooler on one of your SVXs. It also sounds like you haven't had an issue with it...
My silver SVX had 154,000+ miles when I bought it, and a notation in the owner's manual that the transmission had been replaced @ 69,000+, with receipts to back this up. It now has almost 177,500 miles. It has no external transmission filter nor auxiliary cooler. I'd figured on installing a cooler, but as time has passed, the sense of urgency has faded. I've changed the fluid and internal filter once, using ordinary ATF (don't even recall the brand), and have had no problems.

My philosophy, informed by experience and observation, not expertise, is that most "performance" fluids, filters, additives and doo-dads are marketing constructs that do little, if anything, to enhance performance or extend service life. Scientifically, what I know about automotive fluids wouldn't fill a thimble, but I firmly believe following the manufacturer's recommendations is perfectly adequate for normal driving. Consistently drive hard, especially with an old car, and no high-dollar fluids will save you.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 08-13-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
My silver SVX had 154,000+ miles when I bought it, and a notation in the owner's manual that the transmission had been replaced @ 69,000+, with receipts to back this up. It now has almost 177,500 miles. It has no external transmission filter nor auxiliary cooler. I'd figured on installing a cooler, but as time has passed, the sense of urgency has faded. I've changed the fluid and internal filter once, using ordinary ATF (don't even recall the brand), and have had no problems.

My philosophy, informed by experience and observation, not expertise, is that most "performance" fluids, filters, additives and doo-dads are marketing constructs that do little, if anything, to enhance performance or extend service life. Scientifically, what I know about automotive fluids wouldn't fill a thimble, but I firmly believe following the manufacturer's recommendations is perfectly adequate for normal driving. Consistently drive hard, especially with an old car, and no high-dollar fluids will save you.

dcb
Which filter did you change? I have heard that there are two.