Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM

SVX Broke down

Hey everyone.
I had a question. My 92 SVX died on the highway. The RPM went down a few times and died. I figured it was a fuel pump. The guy at the repairshop said it wasnt that and thought it was the ignition manifold. He had one made and it was $330. It didnt work and now he thinks its the computer. He isnt sure if thats it though.
I need a car so I am going to buy one. I can junk it but he still wants to charge me the 330. Does anyone part these out? What do people do with old ones?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Broke down

Ignition manifold ??? He had one MADE???? And its RARELY a computer issue on most vehicles. Your problem could be as simple as debris in the airflow sensor vane...... id get your car away from that guy ASAP at any rate.

Im positive you can find someone here that would take it off your hands if you are sure you want to get rid of it. But if I were you I would take the car to someone who knows what the bleep they are doing. If you have a little automotive knowledge and a few tools, this is something you can try to figure out yourself.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 AM

Try to sell it as a complete car, non-running, buyer arranges towing.

If someone else can fix the problem, the car is back on the road.

A car this rare, if it is complete, and not wrecked, don't pull it apart if a repair can fix it. Maybe some of the "gurus" around here can better diagnose the issue, being more familiar with the car than most mechanics probably are, since SVXs are somewhat unique, and fairly rare.

Maybe it was the fuel pump. Maybe it was electrical. Maybe someone else has a spare computer that can be swapped in, and tested. Maybe it is something else. Maybe someone has a running car, that is in rougher shape, and parts swaps can keep a better-condition car on the road, and turn a worse-shape car into parts.

I can understand not wanting to deal with it... but someone else might want to fix it, and have a complete car.

If the unibody is intact, and the components are all in place... sell the car whole. Please.

There were only ~15000 of these things originally sold here. tearing one down that doesn't need to be torn down is not the best option.

What sort of condition is the car in, other than the engine not running? What model trim, what color?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Yes please try to keep it in one peice, If its not your bag sell it as a mechanics special as in really special, as others have said they are rare. I bought mine as a "parts car" spent 142.$ on it and have been driving all over and lookin mighty fine doing it! Just my 2cents....G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I bet it broke a timing belt....pull the timing belt covers off and check it out....easy enough to check.

And a broke timing belt doesn't hurt the EG33 engine in a SVX

How many miles on it?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Mine acted similar to that when the MAF sensor went out...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I think this guy needs to ditch the "mechanic" whos been railing him and if he really wants to rid himself of the car, then im sure someone here whos close enough can get a DEAL on it, since it doesnt seem like hes too attached to it. I just hate auto shops who say "Hmmmm what we charged you $330 for didnt work, so it might be this.... pay me more and lets find out". Thats the WHOLE reason I learned to work on cars myself.... dealing with that **** right there.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 PM
f'n a cotton, f'n a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
I bet it broke a timing belt....pull the timing belt covers off and check it out....easy enough to check.

And a broke timing belt doesn't hurt the EG33 engine in a SVX

How many miles on it?
+1 Yay for non-interference engines!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to fjm57
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
+1, there was a test procedure for this that involved plugging and unplugging the MAF connector with the car running. I don't recall the actual sequence at the moment.
One of the Tacoma Dealership guys told me about it when mine went out, a few years ago.

Jim

“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
-Bertrand Russell -
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
+2

My maf went out and the car would all of a sudden lose power on the highway and the RPMs would start dying down. It would also fall flat on its face when I applied more gas.

If i were going slow (backroads) it would slow itself to a stop but on the highway my car would feel like it stalled but started running again (I'm on a 5 speed so it felt like I push started the car by slipping the clutch out in gear).
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Hellooooooo OP ?? Whered you go? Lots of advice here, whatcha gonna do?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks guys,
I am having my friend go with me to the mechanic to get the car today and see what we can do. He had an ignition module made. He said it wasnt the fuel pump or timming belt. I think its really shady he is trying to charge me that money even if he cant fix it. I will try to get the car back today and have my buddy work on it. Thanks for all the imput and I will let you guys know what happened to it.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriffin View Post
Thanks guys,
I am having my friend go with me to the mechanic to get the car today and see what we can do. He had an ignition module made. He said it wasnt the fuel pump or timming belt. I think its really shady he is trying to charge me that money even if he cant fix it. I will try to get the car back today and have my buddy work on it. Thanks for all the imput and I will let you guys know what happened to it.
He had one MADE ??? With what, BendaRoos and a stun gun?? You gotta get your car away from this guy..... next he will be saying your distibutor cap blew a head gasket and he can "make" you one with 3 paper clips and a balloonanimal You and your pal can figure it out with the info we give you here.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
He had one MADE ??? With what, BendaRoos and a stun gun?? You gotta get your car away from this guy..... next he will be saying your distibutor cap blew a head gasket and he can "make" you one with 3 paper clips and a balloonanimal You and your pal can figure it out with the info we give you here.
Agreed...get your car out of McGyver's shop , and follow some of the leads in this thread. Maybe someone's local to you who can let you borrow their known good MAF to swap in and see if that fixes it.

He had an ignition module made... lol
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

just got back from the garage. I took my buddy with me and he asked the guy a ton of questions and my buddy tested some sensors while we were there. Basically what it is coming down to is there is no voltage going to the injectors and no spark. We checked the fuel pressure and it was fine we also put on a new ignition module and still nothing. He said he tried to do the diognostic by jumping to blue wires together and counting flashes but he said he was getting no response. I'm not to sure I understand what he means when he is talking about this. We also checked the MAF and cleaned it but I wouldn't think this would keep it from getting any spark or sending any voltage to the injectors when I turn it over. The guy was actually really helpful when I went today. He said he has tried everything he knows to do and can't figure it out. Do you guys have any ideas of what to try next or what this could possibly be also. Could you explain the whole diognostic thing by jumping the two blue wires that are on the driver side under the dash. The guy said his next thing to try is the computer but he said there was two and he didnt know which one it would be any advice on this. Thanks in advance for the help.