Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Re: Potential First time SVX Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderhead View Post
and its nice when you don't have to hit the brakes for that turn coming up because your AWD car can carve up the corners with many newer much more expensive cars. That part never gets old!
Amen! Preach the SVX Truth!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Cadillac Roo; SubaROO soon.

lol Yeah, I'd never get a muscle car type vehicle as a DD. Insurance would kill me.

But, I'm not too sure about this SVX anymore. I would love the car, but the guy who owns it appears to be either a bad liar, or HE'S trying to nickel and dime me.

Originally, he wanted $1900 for it. This was 4 days ago. Now, today, when I'm back in town and ask him if he'd let me view/test drive it, he claims he'll have to bump the price to $2600 because he has "multiple offers".

Is it just me, or if you were selling a car for $1900 you would jump at the first $2600 that came your way? Not sit there and try and squeeze more?

Call me crazy, but I think he thinks I'm a mechanic or something. Because while I was reading this forum, I was asking him questions about it via email (I'm pretty against giving my phone number to people from Craigslist, unless I HAVE to), and it got to the point where he was like, trying to pressure me into it, saying "With a little paint and some interior work, this'll be a great car."

Seems fishy to me. You'd think he would try and answer the questions I had.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

10 characters.

Last edited by essveeexxee; 10-19-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Do not buy this car. It is bad enough that you are considering a SVX on that kind of budget, let alone one from someone who appears to be a little unscrupulous in his description of the car. I am 19 and have had my SVX since I turned 16. The transmission has not gone out - my 93 has about 98k miles now. I definitely have hot rodded it (driving around in second gear and power shifting) and am paying for it. The SVX does not like to be hot rodded. The engine is bulletproof but the rest is not.

My driver's side window just went out. The valve cover gaskets are leaking profusely. There is a funny smell in general in the car from that oil that burns there. Had I not have had an extended warranty, I probably would be out a total of around 4k. We have put about 2k into it between replacing the radiator, battery, front axles (my fault), power steering pump, and exhaust shields. The PS pump still slightly leaks from a bad hose most likely.

Granted, there are not many cars you can buy that run for the price of a used SVX, but the risk is way too high unless you can come up with 3k for a tranny in a pinch or keep a rainy day repair fund for potential problems. Your budget is low, and unless you can find grandma's grocery getter svx in mint condition with low miles for your price, I would settle for a leased honda for $200/mo. The SVXs are old now, and you can expect to replace just about everything in it eventually.

You are wasting your time talking to this guy. My neighbor bought the 94 svx my dad had from him and the tranny died at something like 15k miles (about 9 years ago). If you must buy one, make sure it has less than 80,000 miles and is fully inspected for leaks and problems. You will regret buying something that you end up paying sales tax on, insurance, and some minor maitenance just to find that it simply is not worth it. There are mini vans that move faster than the SVX. It looks cool and is one of the most unique cars on the road in every way but simply does not make sense given your budget and the overall limited availability of the mint condition ones, even for a fair price. Your priority should be school right now and having transportation that works, not looks cool and has a high probability of becoming a 2 ton paperweight. Another complaint I have is the steering wheel. It seems to vibrate and jar the hell out of my hands. I wear gloves when I drive. More and more it is becoming a fancy looking piece of plastic that I feel like I have to baby. The car has its place. Work for someone several hours a week and get a car that you won't need to worry about on lease.

I also forgot to mention that the rotors warp faster than average due to the disproportionally large weight of the car. I have also had one of the calipers replaced and have replaced all of my rotors at least twice. I have also had them turned. Remember, when I bought mine it had roughly half the miles of the ones you are looking at and still is about 25k miles shy of the one you mentioned.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64

Last edited by svxthc; 06-11-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

I agree with the above.

The use you want from the SVX is inconsistent with your budget. You do need to read all through Tom's thread, The SVX and You.

We have had a Civic here for years, totally reliable, very little maintenance or money spent other than oil changes. So in that respect you will not hear me bashing Hondas as Jap rice mobiles. A car like that will be a reliable daily user for you and that is what you need.

The SVX would be a more classy car and a much sweeter drive, but for sure things will go wrong and need attention. Like svxthc says, you will not have the time or money for that to keep it properly fettled.

Also, a guy that pushes up the price by 30% when you look interested, walk away. You are buying into trouble. Get yourself a good SVX when you can afford to care for it, you will not be disappointed.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I told the guy no.

I have read that thread before, by the way. I have a small-ish rainy day fund of sorts, but after purchasing the car, it wouldn't be enough to do a possible (seemingly inevitable) transmission fix.

I was rather bummed about not being able to own one though. Who knows, maybe something good happens in college and I can get one after. It is a pretty gorgeous car, in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaROO View Post
Yeah, I told the guy no.

I have read that thread before, by the way. I have a small-ish rainy day fund of sorts, but after purchasing the car, it wouldn't be enough to do a possible (seemingly inevitable) transmission fix.

I was rather bummed about not being able to own one though. Who knows, maybe something good happens in college and I can get one after. It is a pretty gorgeous car, in my opinion.
Just remember, when the time comes that you would like to get one, always check here first. There are many SVX owners, who, when they decide to sell their car, will offer it here first, as they would like to see another SVX Lover to get it, so it will be taken care of.

As I said before, Save your money up, and wait for a good one to come around. you'll always be welcome to come by when you get to jax, and check mine out

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

HTML Code:
Just remember, when the time comes that you would like to get one, always check here first. There are many SVX owners, who, when they decide to sell their car, will offer it here first, as they would like to see another SVX Lover to get it, so it will be taken care of.

As I said before, Save your money up, and wait for a good one to come around. you'll always be welcome to come by when you get to jax, and check mine out 
And if you do get one, you have good support and good mechanics here in Gainesville.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, I told the guy no.

You got that right!

Stay a member on here. Being honest [like Tom's thread is honest] ownership of this car is not to be feared. They are good cars and reliable.

When you buy one [I'm presuming you will at some stage] buy the best you can afford, the best available at the time. Buy the right car and there will not be big bills waiting for you round the corner. The better you buy up front, the less you will need in the war chest to keep it pristine, and you will have peace of mind.

You're one of us now, you can't go out in the daytime any more.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX

I agree with the above people. I tried to own an SVX while in school, it just doesn't work very well. Too many little things can add up to a big thing for it to be a good college car. I recommend an Integra or other honda honestly

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM

I guess I'll keep checking my local craigslist, ebay, etc. and see if I can find a better deal somewhere.

It's probably best that I hold back my SVX wants until after college anyway, yeah. But no worries, I'll stick around, this seems like a pretty active forum with lots to say.

lol @ can't go out in the daylight anymore. I don't think my 8am classes will work then. Better go swap. :P

Last edited by SubaROO; 06-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Yep. Better.

Even if you don't like them, Hondas are hard to beat for reliability and tough engines.

If you want a good alternative don't overlook Mazda. They consistently perform in the top 5 in the Euro JD Power ownership survey every year.

We are not trying to put you off SVXes as I know you understand. It's just that due to complexity and age they are not necessarily a good mix with college.

Best of luck with your studies.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateSVX View Post
I agree with the above people. I tried to own an SVX while in school, it just doesn't work very well. Too many little things can add up to a big thing for it to be a good college car. I recommend an Integra or other honda honestly
Quote:
Yeah, I told the guy no.

I have to disagree with all you naysayers about owning the SVX while in college. I daily drive one and I go to a very expensive college. Let it be noted also that I am not rich. In fact, I only work full time 3.5 months of the year and I can still swing owning an SVX. Sure, there are little things on it that I let go (dropping cylinder), but other than that, the car has been rock solid reliable.

So, don't let the old people dash your dreams of owning an SVX while in college. I certainly wish I had a car that moved more stuff than this one does, but I still love my car. I certainly think that it's a car you can own while and still be able to afford it, college, and your life.

Also, good idea on not buying that car. You need to find one that will fit your budget and still be reliable enough to drive.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Well, this is quite odd, but it's as if the gods have smiled down on me after my lack of SVX owning. lol

I had just got my HS diploma, because we moved before graduation, so I had to get it mailed, and mom and dad were on a child pride trip, and emailed it to literally everyone they could think of. Two days later, my uncle calls and says he has a present for me.

What is it, you ask? A car! Hooray! It's not an SVX (lol), but instead, I'm now the happy owner of a '96 Cadillac Deville Concourse. He's owned the car since new, and I had the opportunity to drive it a few times last summer, and I kept telling him I wanted it, and he should sell it to me. I guess he listened. lol

Right now, it sits at his house in Palm City, a little bit away from me, so I get to pick it up hopefully within the week.

It'll cost me more for gas than an SVX, of course, but that's okay, because it's also got a hitch, so now I don't have to worry about renting a truck to travel north either. Hooray!

Also, in response to Manarius: Yeah, I figure it could be done if you're good with car care and things of that nature. Too bad there aren't any others for sale near me anywhere. (Except orlando, but that's a bit of a drive)
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Teh Geek

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'm now the happy owner of a '96 Cadillac Deville Concourse.
Do me a favor... don't jack the car up 3 ft and slap on some 30inch rims on it please!

we see alot of that here. we also see alot of unpainted bodykits as well

its sad what people will do to their cars