Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 AM

Registered SVX
Re: How To Do the Bosch Relay Mod???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not true...
Keith,

Such a definitive statement requires proof.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 AM

This paper may bring some clarity to the whole Bosch Relay Mod story. Take a look at Figure 6!

Enjoy!

www.aeroelectric.com/articles/strtctr.pdf
Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
This paper may bring some clarity to the whole Bosch Relay Mod story. Take a look at Figure 6!

Enjoy!

Thanks Elaine... Great link!

Keith
Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It has been found that the specified Bosch relay, which is more akin to a contactor than a relay, has a coil with a low enough resistance to provide the required ground circuit. There should be no difference in respect of manual or auto transmissions regarding this situation.
Trevor, if you carefully analyze the mod circuit, you will see that the primary circuit of the relay has a ground that is a part of the new circuit. The contact circuit is not related to ground.

Would it alleviate your concern to observe that the "fault" you refer to is not a part in any way to the mod Bosch circuit.

Neither of us actually know where the "fault" is so proof, a 2 way street, would be a tough one for either of us. I no longer care where the fault lies because the Bosch relay works like a dream... not the nightmare so many of us were and many more are having before the Bosch Relay!

When you get the click yourself , you will, as most of us do, routinely check the starter and and all the things I tested before the Bosch relay circuit was worked out. Then about 60 seconds later, you will be headed for the nearest auto parts supplier to get yourself your very own Bosch relay!!!

Cheers back!

Keith
Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Trevor, if you carefully analyze the mod circuit, you will see that the primary circuit of the relay has a ground that is a part of the new circuit. The contact circuit is not related to ground.

Would it alleviate your concern to observe that the "fault" you refer to is not a part in any way to the mod Bosch circuit.

When you get the click yourself , you will, as most of us do, routinely check the starter and and all the things I tested before the Bosch relay circuit was worked out. Then about 60 seconds later, you will be headed for the nearest auto parts supplier to get yourself your very own Bosch relay!!!

Cheers back!

Again, cheers Trevor.

Keith
Keith, your continuing arguments are not based on fact.

The coil resistance is the specific item involved in the problem. One end of the coil has always been grounded, as it must be for the relay to operate. This is not a new feature. Please confine yourself to comments regarding that which you understand.

You are not wise enough to pre determine my actions. I will never leave an existing fault in place and use a stop gap measure as a means of overcoming a problem. I will locate the problem, analyse the cause and fix it. I and am quite sure that I have the skill to do so.

Even so, I would consider fitting a slave relay, if the fault was clearly evident, as being due to excessive current.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post

Enjoy!

Yes that is right on the money, a much nicer description than mine.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Yes that is right on the money, a much nicer description than mine.

Harvey.
What is more, it shows that your advice and drawing, regarding the operation of the SVX starter is wrong.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
What is more, it shows that your advice and drawing, regarding the operation of the SVX starter is wrong.
Oh yes, of course.

Your friend.
Harvey.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Oh yes, of course.

Your friend.
Harvey.
Ah yes, indeed it is so. Once again you have wrongly advised members. It is ongoing, and as always you side step.

Friend of the truthful. Trevor.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ah yes, indeed it is so. Once again you have wrongly advised members. It is ongoing, and as always you side step.

Friend of the truthful. Trevor.
Oh, I did not realise that I was doing this.

Maybe you would be so kind, as to point out the parts, where I am wrong.

We would not want the members to find it confusing.

As always, Harvey.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Registered SVX

Because it may assist anyone interested, I will correct the error, in spite of baited sarcasm.

The SVX starter assembly is not complicated and is as exactly illustrated in the manuals.

There is a clear difference between this, and a more ambitious system, claimed as applying in respect of the SVX. It is necessary to correctly interpret the two applicable drawings. This is where confusion has occurred.

The simple arrangement as per the manuals and used in the SVX, has two integral coils, or a single tapped coil, forming a series circuit, with each separate inductance arranged in the same order of polarity. The pull in section is likely to be wound in heavier gauge wire, in order to carry the more substantial current involved.

In order for the claimed more complicated arrangement to work, two coils must be provided, but these can be wound on the same former. The two coils facilitate connection in opposing polarity. The drawing previously submitted is not correct and wrongly portrays the electrical function described.

The valuable site kindly submitted, clearly outlines the different arrangements involved. It will prove of great assistance to any members dealing with the SVX starter.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-12-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Because it may assist anyone interested, I will correct the error,
There is a clear difference between this, and a more ambitious system, claimed as applying in respect of the SVX. It is necessary to correctly interpret the two applicable drawings. This is where confusion has occurred.
The drawing previously submitted is not correct and wrongly portrays the electrical function described.
I guess that this is the essence of your reply, but it does not point out where I have "Once again you have wrongly advised members".

If this is the drawings, where " This is where confusion has occurred, would you point out where "is not correct and wrongly portrays the electrical function described" so that I can correct it, thanks.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=83

Pursuing Technical Excellence.
Harvey.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I guess that this is the essence of your reply, but it does not point out where I have "Once again you have wrongly advised members".

If this is the drawings, where " This is where confusion has occurred, would you point out where "is not correct and wrongly portrays the electrical function described" so that I can correct it, thanks.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...9&postcount=83

Pursuing Technical Excellence.
Harvey.
That is not the drawing. It was included with an explanation which you posted, wrongly describing the quite simple starter fitted to the SVX.

Your drawing illustrating the system described, clearly illustrated a tapped coil. Such a coil would render the functions you described, inoperative.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-12-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Fixed Quotation marks.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but neither does one wrong make a right!

Actually that statement is meaningless, like some of the attempts that to prove that everyone else is wrong on this subject. We should all be able to learn from each other and if some can't, I think that tells a world about the person that is unable to.

When you come on demanding proof and can never provide proof for whatever your contention is, you need to do some real deep soul searching.

Now... Tell me that I am wrong about this!

Keith

Incidentally, the Bosch relay comes new in a little box that actually does not have a ground anywhere on the box or the relay that is in the box. Anyone that says the Bosch relay is always grounded is... WRONG!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Keith, your continuing arguments are not based on fact.
Even so, I would consider fitting a slave relay, if the fault was clearly evident, as being due to excessive current.
This question is to help me learn how low voltage can cause excessive current in the starter circuit. not the starter motor itself.

I will wait right here for your explanation, and no proof is required! Seeing what you come up with will be reward enough!

Keith