How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

keeping the fan on circulation

Hi!
Does anyone have a clue why the setting on circulation (circ button) would always turn itself off after a while?

appreciated!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: keeping the fan on circulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
Hi!
Does anyone have a clue why the setting on circulation (circ button) would always turn itself off after a while?

appreciated!
The circulation button is used to circulate the air for a certain amount of time. It is programmed to shut off after awhile.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It's a safety thing. Say you had 4 people in the car, in short order you'd use up a lot of the oxygen in the air, leading to potential unpleasantness. By deactivating the recirculation after 10 or 15 minutes the car is forcing you to get some fresh air.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Yeah this drove me nuts on my way back from Reno..... id turn to circ and 20 minutes later id have either hot or cold air blowing on my feet (depending on the temp setting when the system was turned off). The subaru techs forgot about the windows apparently

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Headed to Texas...

It's not a good idea to keep the same air constantly recirculating. It's meant to keep bad air out (temporarily) and cool the inside down faster on a hot day.
Curious why you would want to keep it on all the time?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM

Lightbulb Re: keeping the fan on circulation

its quite simple:

lets say 4 people are riding along ac blasting, etc.
lets say these are old people who smoke cigarettes with the windows up (they do that)
lets say they all are just smokin away and they have the circulation on.
lets also say that carbon monoxide is being leaked directly into the cabin from the exhaust.
lets also assume that there is some sort of food that somehow made it into the vent, rotting horribly and producing a terrible stench.
lets further suggest that the window switch contacts are dirty and the windows do not go down.
there are also two dogs in the vehicle (big ones that drool), and the car is in the slow lane doing 55 mph.

under this circumstance criteria as the testing threshold for design, subaru had developed the perfect preventive measure to save the lives of these people: installing an automatic fresh air getting mechanism.

boredom

seriously tho, i agree. i wish the damn thing would just do what i tell it to. on if i say on, off if i say off.

also, if there is an oil leak, you do not want to drive with the circ OFF for a while cuz that wonderful blue smoke comes right thru the vents. ahhhhh toxic smoke
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
its quite simple:

lets say 4 people are riding along ac blasting, etc.
lets say these are old people who smoke cigarettes with the windows up (they do that)
lets say they all are just smokin away and they have the circulation on.
lets also say that carbon monoxide is being leaked directly into the cabin from the exhaust.
lets also assume that there is some sort of food that somehow made it into the vent, rotting horribly and producing a terrible stench.
lets further suggest that the window switch contacts are dirty and the windows do not go down.
there are also two dogs in the vehicle (big ones that drool), and the car is in the slow lane doing 55 mph.

under this circumstance criteria as the testing threshold for design, subaru had developed the perfect preventive measure to save the lives of these people: installing an automatic fresh air getting mechanism.

boredom

seriously tho, i agree. i wish the damn thing would just do what i tell it to. on if i say on, off if i say off.

also, if there is an oil leak, you do not want to drive with the circ OFF for a while cuz that wonderful blue smoke comes right thru the vents. ahhhhh toxic smoke
If all those events come together at once, its definitely your time to go out.... fate it seems is not without purposeful disregard in subaru designs

I leave it on since without circ on air is always blowing in on my legs and tickles my hairy ankles.... distracting me from safe driving practices, like looking outside.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.