Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM

1st post, Need some insight on installing speakers

Yea, I've searched and searched the forums and found lots of threads detailing it but I'm still concerned I lack the tools to do it without ruining my car in the process.

Is it REALLY that hard to get the rear deck lid out? I folded the seats and hopped back there last night and I can't figure out where to even begin on separating it from the top of the trunk. Everything seems like it's not meant to be messed with. Which usually means if I work on it, it's going to be broken.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: 1st post, Need some insight on installing speakers

Im at work at the moment, but I have removed/replaced SVX interior parts numerous times, so I am sure that i can help.

If anyone else wants to chime in here, feel free. I can try to take photos on my lunch break to help you.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM

That'd be awesome man, thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

When you lower the rear seats and take out the bottom cushion you will get access to the 2 plastic trim screws on the side interior panels that will pop out. Be careful to not pull too hard because you still have to unplug the window switches. Once those two side panels are out, you can then slide the rear deck cover off.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Registered SVX

To remove the speakers in the rear decklid, you need to first take out the rear seat bottom. There are two plastic "locks" on the lower portion of the seat where it touches the floor. Once the set is out, take off the side panels, there are three screws, one on the floor, one in the small hole you will see when you remove the seats, and one near the top which is visible once the rear seat top is down. Once the screws are out, carefully pry out the panel, and disconnect the window switch. Now remove the two screws which are visible near the seat belt. now all you need to do is pull and the rear speaker cover should slide off. be careful because there are three plastic clips on the front of the panel which can break if you are not careful. The speakers are held in by 4 screws each. thats it
Joe
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I didn't find it particularly difficult when I did mine. Just start pulling parts, it's fairly self-evident how to proceed. If you're pulling hard enough you think you may break something, you've missed a step somewhere.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

Once you get it off, and get everything installed and are putting it back together... be very careful when putting the deck cover back on. Theres metal clip things under there that hold the cover down to the deck itself, and they are in a spot where if you arent watching closely, they will rip right through your speakers. I know because I did it to one of mine. You have to just guide it back slowly. Good luck!

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Wow, looks like everyone chimed in to help way before I was able to get photos. Good job guys.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Alright, I've got the seat bottom out and the 2 plastic screws removed.

I'm hunting for the 3rd in the side panels but all I see is some weird thing down in a opening that would require an alan wrench, is this what I need to back out? I'd think that's for manually opening and closing the window.

I'm trying to pull on it around the edges to see if any of it will come free regardless, and it's not going anywhere without breaking. I've never dealt with interior parts on a car where stuff didn't break and shatter when touching it so I'm EXTREMELY leary of doing this. If anyone has a picture of exactly where you pull to keep the interior from breaking please post them.

Last edited by Mephis; 03-16-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM

Registered SVX

there are three screws, one on the floor, one in the small hole you will see when you remove the seats, and one near the top which is visible once the rear seat top is down
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Is that "One in the small hole you will see when you remove the seats" an alan head screw?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Nope, just tried turning it and it moved the power seat belts...

These instructions are really unclear... Can someone explain it in a way someone who hasn't done it before might be able to understand?

Or maybe take a picture of what you're referring to, because I'm not seeing this 3rd screw and I've been sitting in here eyeballing things for an hour.
Just went out again and looked for awhile, and tried prying on things. Nothing is budging and still no signs of this 3rd screw?......

The only hole in the panel is for manually moving your seatbelts. F5F5F5F5

Here it's saying something completely different? http://svx-iw.com/svxiw/article/?article=104

It's saying I only remove the 1 plastic screw at the top that's visible when I fold down the seat. It doesn't even say anything about removing the seat bottom? I'm very very confused.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=rear+speaker

Another article posted here in a PDF says I only remove 2 screws to remove those panels. Well those 2 screws are out and the panels won't even begin to budge. ....

Alright, 2 hours spent on this so far today and I can't even figure out how to get the side panels off, apparently my car is made differently. Hanging it up for today...

Last edited by Mephis; 03-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.