SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
what he is saying is that the coils get positive power constantly after the key is turned on, and the ignitor grounds them when they need to fire, cylinder's 1,3,5, are the right bank of the engine, so he is saying that those three share a common power source. so i think he is right, my power source is not connected
Not a problem.

Before you start jumping to conclusions and messing up your loom. Why not check for battery volts at coil plugs 1,3 & 5, using a preferably a test light or meter?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
trevor. When I was wiring the EG33 harness into an SUS I hit the same issue. There was a break in the wire somewhere just before the engine harness. So, a heavy jumper was added just before the engine harness to connect the two banks on the same wire. Simple fix which allowed me to have the car running on all 6. BUT this was temporary until I found where the break in the circuit was in the 1st place and corrected it

Tom
OK Tom and thanks,

More or less what I was getting in determining where a break could occur.

BTW the jumper does not have to be a heavy wire, or heavier than the existing. The circuit is protected by a 15 amp fuse, which shows that high a current is not involved. A lighter wire would be easier to splice.

This tip and only one of yours, further illustrates just how excellent the how too section could become, if it were properly sorted and contained all the information recorded here in the many misc. informative many posts.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I kill more trannies then god

6 volts trevor, i checked them yesterday before i posted this, please i don't mean to be an ass, but i don't post a step by step record of what i have done to trouble shoot,
Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
6 volts trevor, i checked them yesterday before i posted this, please i don't mean to be an ass, but i don't post a step by step record of what i have done to trouble shoot,
One of the problems in assisting people, is trying understand/asses exactly what has, or has not been done. I try not to over advise, as I know full well that this can annoy those with knowledge.

A reading of 6 volts is very strange indeed and could indicate a high resistance rather than a break in a lead, or possibly feed back.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
6 volts is very odd. A jumper will more than likely cause all of the coils to misrife or not fire at all. Start tracing the wires back from the engine. I do not have the ability to post the schematics as they would need to be printed and scanned. Something I may be able to do some time tomorrow but not today.

Tom
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
6 volts is very odd. A jumper will more than likely cause all of the coils to misrife or not fire at all. Start tracing the wires back from the engine. I do not have the ability to post the schematics as they would need to be printed and scanned. Something I may be able to do some time tomorrow but not today.

Tom
actually my dad found the wiring diagram i needed, i'm gonna have fun with a meter tomorrow and i'll let you all know what i find.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:51 PM

ok so the low voltage was due to the car having a bad alternator. it's getting 13.5-14 solid while the car is running now. so i am out of ideas. what else could be causing the whole right bank to misfire
Old 03-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Maniac modifier

so do you have 12v to all coils???

Tom
Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 PM

actually, i only checked cyl5, all three are still throwing a code, so i didn't check for a variance.
also when i changed the alt the car ran perfect for the first 2-3 minutes i drove it then it started missing on and off again, i'm really stumped.

Last edited by jeffast; 03-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Have you checked the timing?? That is the pass side which is not monitored electronically.

Tom
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Have you checked the timing?? That is the pass side which is not monitored electronically.

Tom
you mean the belt it's self? thinking it might have skipped a few teeth? no i havent, but if the belt skipped wouldn't it run like crap full time? its the first 5 minutes after you reset the ecu where it runns and pulls like normal, that confuses me if thats the case.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Maniac modifier

o??? That is odd Im gonna have to burn some more thought on this... but seriously, check the timing just in case

Tom
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM

i'll pull the covers tomorrow and see if the marks line up.
thanks for your input.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
ok so the low voltage was due to the car having a bad alternator. it's getting 13.5-14 solid while the car is running now. so i am out of ideas. what else could be causing the whole right bank to misfire
Tom Post 2 --- I would highly suggest finding where the circuit is losing power for a permanent fix.

Trevor Post 16 ---Before you start jumping to conclusions and messing up your loom. Why not check for battery volts at coil plugs 1,3 & 5, using a preferably a test light or meter?

jetfast Post 18 --- 6 volts trevor, i checked them yesterday before i posted this, please i don't mean to be an ass, but i don't post a step by step record of what i have done to trouble shoot,

Trevor Post 19 --- A reading of 6 volts is very strange indeed and could indicate a high resistance rather than a break in a lead, or possibly feed back.

Tom Post 20 --- 6 volts is very odd.

Jetfasr Post 21 --- i'm gonna have fun with a meter tomorrow and i'll let you all know what i find.

Jetfast Post 22 --- ok so the low voltage was due to the car having a bad alternator. it's getting 13.5-14 solid while the car is running now. so i am out of ideas. what else could be causing the whole right bank to misfire

Tom Post 23 --- so do you have 12v to all coils???

Surely if the car was starting and running, as it must have been in order to record the fault involved here, battery voltage must have been reasonable, even though the alternator appears to have been faulty.

Or are you now suggesting that the battery was down to near 6 volts? Refer your Post No 19.

By way of answering your latest question I say, please read and understand the advice given and carry out the tests requested. There is nothing else to consider at this point as the original suggested symptom has yet to be addressed and 12 volts at all coils confirmed.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM

i didn't think to check the battery voltage at that point, so i am unable to answer that. i was checking it this morning, and it was going no higher then 11 volts and ioo thought that was odd, so i checked the alt voltage and it was also at 11.5 volts. so i cannot answer that.

edit: the only thing that comes to mind was that maybe i screwed up with the meter on my first time through trouble shooting.

Last edited by jeffast; 03-12-2008 at 05:29 PM.