Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-25-2002, 12:49 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Coat hangers? Why don't we just go the easy way. Find a brick, toss at the window?
Solves the immidiate problem right?
Sorry. I can't think of any way. I don't think the SVX will open up from the trunk. Call the locksmith.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The Toyota manuals used to dsay "Pick the smallest window, it's probably the cheapest to replace."

I agree with Lwin, it's easier and cheaper to call a locksmith if you're not skilled in the art of grand theft auto. Usually $50-$75.

BTW, we never close the door on a car in the shop without first rolling down a window for just this reason.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:49 PM
gd2020

Thumbs up Success!!!

The Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant in a spray can by Gunk finally did it!(I feel they deserve the shamless plug) It took 3 applications of it over 2 days but the drivers side lock finally opened.

Of cousre I had already given up and had called a locksmith over. We walked over to my car, he showed his locksmith book to me and it listed all models of the SVX locks were rated a 3 out 4 in difficulty. I briefly felt vindicated as I believed that I failed at the task that even the professionals found to be difficult. As I was showing him the drivers lock would only budge about a quarter of a turn I felt the key grittly turn further than ever. After a few more twists, Eureaka! I had unlocked my door!!!

I felt both elated and foolish as the locksmith was right here. He was pretty cool about coming out and wasnt going to charge me, but I gave him $20 for his trouble. So he must felt the need to still try something and tried to free up the passenger side lock with enough WD40 that it started dripping out the bottom of the door. It still did not budge but he reccommended I keep trying with the liquid wrench.

I guess the moral of this particular fable is do not let your locks go unused as one day you may need them to get in. By the way the locksmith said "That is one cool looking car, I love the lines on it." ... GD

PS Thanks again for all the advise, everybody
Old 05-25-2002, 10:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Good deal! Now I'd go to the hardware store and get an extra key or two just in case you happen to break one in the other door. That or you may have weakened the key you're now using and it might break in any of the locks, and that too, would suck.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:02 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Steel key

gd2020

Glad you got sorted out. I had the misfortune of having my ignition key leave half of the blade in the trunk lock this winter, leaving me in the cold and wet for a couple of hours till a mobile locksmith could get to me.

The original key was cut from chrome plated brass, and snapped at a narrow centre part. The locksmith reckoned my door locks all needed lubrication and freeing up, so I had the wd40 pumping out of the doors too.

The key he cut for me was from a steel blank, not brass. I would recommend this to anyone getting spares cut, the brass wears, and will snap if your pattern happens to be deeply cut.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Porter

There are STi key blanks on the web for sale... titanium!