Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

ANOTHER SVX? To buy or not to buy?Hmmm...

So I am looking at another SVX to add to my collection...here is the e-mail I sent to my friend Jerek who referred me to the seller and also owns 2 SVXs himself...

So I went and checked out the car today. Its a 2 tone bergundy and black with grey int. Its a 92 I know its not a LSi, but I dunno if its the L, LS-L LS orwhat cause I'm not fam. with all the other ub models...anyways the body looks great. There are no dents, but it has several deep scratches ....one bad one on the hood where someone keyed it! > It has the stock rims (not the chrome ones though) and they are physically in good shape , but they look ugly. The tires still look pretty new, it only has 75k on it ...amazing!!! I looked under the hood and you can tell most of the hoses have been replaced very recently as well as the radiator and a few other small things. The compressor looked super old, but it still blew ice cold. Has the stock cd and cassete and crappy sounding speakers (prolly the ones that came in the car) It has a never used spare tire with tools intact. It has tinted windows which are starting to bubble on the rear. The int. looks in awesome shape except a bad rip in the driver seat and a lot of wear on it. The sun roof works, but when you first push the button you have to push the roof up and then it will open by itself. The wondow switches all work, but feel a lil sticky and the shocks on the hood don't hold it up anymore and the ones on the trunk are gonna go pretty soon too. Other than the deep scratches on the body(several of the not deep scratches I can buff out) the paint is in amazing shape a tiny patch on the upper portion of both doors has started to fade, but can prolly be polished out. When I looked under the car I could see a class II oil leak, but could not pin point the origin. I started it up and it sounded good, but I didn't test drive it cause I was short on time, but I will go back friday. There was a sticker on the windshield saying the tranny had been serviced at x miles, I'm not sure what kind of servicing whether it was a simple fluid flush or a rebuild, but at least I know its been maintained. I'm just so torn on what to do. The car has a lot of small issues, but overall the thing is in pretty damn good shape for being almost 16 years old and especially for being here in Hawaii. Anyway the asking price is actually 39xx, but the guy told me to make him an offer so obviously he is willing to bargain on the price.I would do it for 3000, tomorrow on my lunch break I'm gonna get the kelly blue book value as well as a carfax report. ...And...well I guess I will take it from there, but judging on everything I've told you whats your opinion? Also he said the front brakes need new pads and the rotors prolly need to be turned...luckily I can do that myself, but its something to take into mind I will have to drive it for myself to see. Anyway so let me know what you think I hsould do!!!

PS. I can't remember the whole VIN off the top of my head, but it started out
JF1CX "3535" I know those four digits there tell you what the sub model is so if anyone knows please tell me
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

I knew I forgot something...the driver seat is powered and the switch that moves the seat from front to rear does not work...which sucks cause it is towards the rear right now and I am very short so I can't reach the pedals I was gonna check my manual to see if there is a fuse for that
Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
It would be better if you can post pics next time.

From what I've read, some of the mechanism of the roof is worn out and needs to be replaced. (I also have this problem, and can pinpoint that part, but cannot explain it..)

As far as the seat, well I think you problem lies in a plug that needs to be tightened under the seat. I think it is the frontal one, you can reach it easily in front of the seat.

I say go for it!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 AM

Its strange that I get to say this on the SVX, beings that I've been a DSMer for 6 years.

But you can find an SVX cheaper than that.
Altho it might be hard cause your on the island.

Good luck tho

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Barring clean CarFax, go for it.

3k for a SVX with only 75,XXX miles is a great opportunity. The lower miles makes it more of a worthwhile investment to fix the other issue with the car, and keep it as a secondary ride (To keep the mileage down). Or perhaps that one becomes your DD, and your current one becomes a toy.

Anyway you look at it, it's a good deal.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siceclipse View Post
Its strange that I get to say this on the SVX, beings that I've been a DSMer for 6 years.

But you can find an SVX cheaper than that.
Altho it might be hard cause your on the island.

Good luck tho
Rumor has it that there are only 7 SVXs on the island of Oahu, but I have only been able to account for 6. I am confident I can talk him down to at least 3gs maybe less cause I did meet a guy who bought a 95 in mint mint condition with a manual swap and he only paid 2500..apparently the guy was originally asking 6ooo but nobody showed interest so he kept making the price lower and lower till he let it go for 2500...talk a bout a missed opportunity! Anyway I am gonna try to go back today for a test drive and I will bring my camera to take some pics.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
If its a '92 and has the power seat and sun roof then its an LS-L, the only models for '92 were LS and LS-L (LSi is the same as LS-L, they just changed what they called it)

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Old 12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

^ Here you can see the nasty key mark someone left on the hood >

I didn't realize I had no side pics of the car. It was parked real tight and I was gonna get more when they pulled it out, but I guess I forgot. It drove real smooth, but the steering seemed a lil bit tight and it didnt have the upgraded brakes so trying to slow down going downhill was a bit tough. It sounded great and idled smooth unfortunately the guy was a p*$$y and wouldn't let me floor it.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I say go for it Amanda...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 12-04-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
For the condition and miles on it, that seems to be a good one. It would be worthwhile fixing the problems, and you would have a good one when finished. Good luck. I would go for it, but that shouldn't surprise you.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

You guys this is such a hard decision! I know its an awesome deal for the car, but I really need a truck and even though my other SVX has a lot more miles it is still in way better shape mechanically and physically, but it still has all those tiny things here and there that need a lil tweaking and those tiny things add up and you put them off and procrastinate and...Gosh I just don't know, I mean I know how to maintain and take care of an SVX, but sometimes they can be a lil bratty and high maintenence. They sure don't like being neglected and I just don't know if I have the time attention and money to care for 2 babies at once ya know?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96 View Post
You guys this is such a hard decision! I know its an awesome deal for the car, but I really need a truck and even though my other SVX has a lot more miles it is still in way better shape mechanically and physically, but it still has all those tiny things here and there that need a lil tweaking and those tiny things add up and you put them off and procrastinate and...Gosh I just don't know, I mean I know how to maintain and take care of an SVX, but sometimes they can be a lil bratty and high maintenence. They sure don't like being neglected and I just don't know if I have the time attention and money to care for 2 babies at once ya know?
I'd say, hybernate one (long term rebuild project) and use the other one.

Well they are extremely rare around you... you'd be saving this one from another bad home

Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM

the mileage is suspect

considering the condition of the drivers seat and the sunroof? I would try to check it out?
Hope it works well for you
Take care,
Keith
Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
considering the condition of the drivers seat and the sunroof? I would try to check it out?
Hope it works well for you
Take care,
Keith
I thought that too, but Oahu is a small island and if its been here its whole life...well there is only so far you can go. Its also believable when you see how nice the leather is...even nicer than my 96...except the driver seat which has that usual nasty spot on it. Its tough, but the SVX won a few more points when I test drove the truck I was looking at yesterday. I didn't realize it was a 5sp and because I am so short and the clutch has a long ways to go I had to sit very close to the steering wheel just to be able to shift the thing and because it does not have air bags it was kind of uncomfortable
Oh yeah...I still have not done a carfax report yet. Bills are do and its almost Christmas so cash is kinda low. I might wait till the 15th when I get paid again

p.s. The driver seat electric controls do work...it just got unplugged somehow...as for the sunroof the car had a crapload of dirt built up in the nooks and crannies like it was just sitting somewhere for a long time I honestly think there is just dirt stuck in there clogging things up and slowing it down