How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-14-2001, 01:30 PM
Headed to Texas...

Question Scrolling Posts Option?

As a user of both this site and . . . ahem . . . the "other" site , the question has been raised several times by holdout Yahooligans about the possibility of being able to view ALL posts (regardless of thread) in one chronological string, ala Yahoo.
So to put this issue to bed - one way or another - is this an option for this site?
Personally, I like the set-up as is - but some people do like to see all posts at once.

I'll hang up and listen to your response . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 01:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Jerry, I asked about this some time ago. I believe the "final answer" was "no." There is not a feature where you can toggle between an "all threads" or "headings" display. Sith, is this correct? I believe I was talking to you, vidar and paul in the chatroom one night (okay, VERY early morning) when the question was answered, so, it's a little fuzzy.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-14-2001, 01:43 PM
Headed to Texas...

Question Is that your final answer?

<<I believe the "final answer" was "no.">>

If it was over two weeks ago, I probably don't remember it - but yeah, it does seem like we covered this question early on.
Just thought I would try to get a last definitive reply to pass on to Yahoo.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 01:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sith . . . oh Sith! The final answer is . . . . . . . .
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-14-2001, 01:53 PM
sith

Sorry sorry, was picking link colours..

The final answer is "no, with a but.."

The problem is, posts are organized by thread within the DB, so selecting threads just by date. Given enough time I could probably do it, but it would be complex and probably rather slow because it would mean parsing a ton of data each time the page was pulled up.

That, and I can't understand the attraction in being able to do that...

If work is not too busy, I will look into it again sometime...
Old 05-14-2001, 01:58 PM
Headed to Texas...

<<That, and I can't understand the attraction in being able to do that...>>

Nor can I . . .

<<If work is not too busy, I will look into it again sometime...>>

Didn't you mention something about driving your SVX? It's waiting . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2001, 02:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sith
Sorry sorry, was picking link colours..

The final answer is "no, with a but.."

The problem is, posts are organized by thread within the DB, so selecting threads just by date. Given enough time I could probably do it, but it would be complex and probably rather slow because it would mean parsing a ton of data each time the page was pulled up.

That, and I can't understand the attraction in being able to do that...

If work is not too busy, I will look into it again sometime...
Sith, I wouldn't consider this a HIGH priority. The majority of the people are more than satisfied with the site as is (including myself). If it were a quick and easy fix, I'd say, go for it. But, if it's a complicated process, let it go. We're doing just fine without that feature. There are better things, I'm sure, you could spend your time on. Now, go out and drive your SVX, take your digital camera with you, and get a shot of yourself SCREAMING while you drive!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-14-2001, 02:18 PM
The Road Less Traveled

It's a possibility

DISCLAIMER: I am not a programmer.

DISCLAIMER: But that doesn't mean I'm not a computer geek.

I just looked at the the HTML source that this page generated. There's a post ID that is generated by every post, even though the messages are "databased". The post ID is consistant with the order in which the messages are posted, working very similar to the Yahoo system.

If someone was to write a little script that would display pages by the post ID in order, we've basically got a Yahoo system. How it can integrate into the existing system, with respects to cookies, replys, etc., I don't know.

By looking at this page, I can estimate (and correct me if I'm wrong), that there has been just over 4100 posts in total so far on this site. Which means Sir AreDub has hogged just 16-17% of the posts.

Shame on you AreDub. You're not posting enough.

VK
Geek, eh!
Old 05-14-2001, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX
Re: It's a possibility

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
DISCLAIMER: I am not a programmer.

DISCLAIMER: But that doesn't mean I'm not a computer geek.

I just looked at the the HTML source that this page generated. There's a post ID that is generated by every post, even though the messages are "databased". The post ID is consistant with the order in which the messages are posted, working very similar to the Yahoo system.

If someone was to write a little script that would display pages by the post ID in order, we've basically got a Yahoo system. How it can integrate into the existing system, with respects to cookies, replys, etc., I don't know.

By looking at this page, I can estimate (and correct me if I'm wrong), that there has been just over 4100 posts in total so far on this site. Which means Sir AreDub has hogged just 16-17% of the posts.

Shame on you AreDub. You're not posting enough.

VK
Geek, eh!
So, I'm just a talkative guy, eh! I checked the CD of the first 50K yahoo posts. I had over 4000 of the first 50, and I wasn't even a member the FIRST year of the club's existance. I was somewhat embarrassed . . . just somewhat.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-14-2001, 04:12 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up Scrolling posts

There IS a way to make scrolling post on this site as well. The only thing is the matter of putting time into this. The threads here are in topics and they follows that topic. -- I like that a lot actually.

All the thread are on a seperate page -- I believe. most fo the forum softwares are similear. In theory, with a CGI script, you can mmake it show in any way shape or form. I can take a look a the code and see what is needed to be done. But it might take some time since all the posts have to be sorted and what not and take some processing power on the machine depending on the amount of information and amount of people hitting the server.

What are the server specs? and the OS on the server -- please say -nix or solaris...

Seraphim (AKA lwin on the yahoo site)
-- http://stargazer.servehttp.com/~lwin/
-- http://stargazer.servehttp.com/~svx/
Old 05-14-2001, 04:40 PM
sith

Server is linux ...

Everything is in a DB, but spread out over multiple tables. The forum display code itself isn't really conducive to having portions duplicated elsewhere.

A couple problems arise though ...for example, message replies aren't stored with subjects by default (unless you specify one). Its not just a matter of a "little script," it would end up being a few hundred lines of code. It would also mean writing a new bunch of code to actually view the messages, since the current setup displays the whole thread. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I'm just saying its not something I have time to work on right now, or something I find particularly useful. I think it would end up degrading the categorization of the site, which I think is a nice feature.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
May I humbly suggest a poll?

Do we (SVX World Network) think that Sith or said administrator should spend his precious little time away from his SVX writing this chronological code to mmic Yahoo?

I don't mean to say that it is not a useful thing to do. I'm just saying should we have a poll on this?

Maybe that wouldn't be fair though, because the people that would vote for such a task probably are not here "yet".
Old 05-15-2001, 11:11 AM
Headed to Texas...

Question Poll?

Let's do it.
It would reflect what the present 168 members of the net feel about the issue, and hopefully enable us to come to a decision on whether our overworked/underpaid administrators should spend time on such a project.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-15-2001, 12:30 PM

Registered SVX
Re: May I humbly suggest a poll?

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
Do we (SVX World Network) think that Sith or said administrator should spend his precious little time away from his SVX writing this chronological code to mmic Yahoo?

I don't mean to say that it is not a useful thing to do. I'm just saying should we have a poll on this?

Maybe that wouldn't be fair though, because the people that would vote for such a task probably are not here "yet".
A poll? I don't think a poll is necessary. It's really simple:

<<Do we (SVX World Network) think that Sith or said administrator should spend his precious little time away from his SVX writing this chronological code to mmic Yahoo?>>

In a word, no.

<<Maybe that wouldn't be fair though, because the people that would vote for such a task probably are not here "yet". >>

Exactly. As much as I want a unified SVX community, I'm not willing to take undue advantage of the generosity of those who have voluntarily offered resources and pieces of their lives to create and maintain our new clubhouse, just to appease those who wish to cling to what, by some indications, could very well be a sinking ship. I miss the friends I made on the Yahoo board, but, to degrade this well put together site for a few, is neither feasible nor desirable. If someone does create a poll, I believe my vote is obvious.

Besides, I don't know how to create a poll
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-15-2001, 12:47 PM
Headed to Texas...

Poll? Part 2

<<I'm not willing to take undue advantage of the generosity of those who have voluntarily offered resources and pieces of their lives to create and maintain our new clubhouse, just to appease those who wish to cling to what, by some indications, could very well be a sinking ship. I miss the friends I made on the Yahoo board, but, to degrade this well put together site for a few, is neither feasible nor desirable.>>

Ok, Aredub - you twisted my arm!

I think we're hitting the point where we've past the "bending over backwards" stage anyway.
Even if we (well, the administrators) went to the trouble of setting up the feature, there's no guarantee that it would be worth the trouble.
There may be a handful on Yahoo that give the lack of a scrolling list as a reason they're not here - and we have 168 members right now that apparently feel otherwise, or that it's just not an issue either way.
Besides, wasn't the whole Yahoo format one of the reasons this site was started in the first place?

jnj7707@yahoo.com