SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
Unhappy Check Engine Light

I hope this is not a problem but I don't know if it is anything to start to worry about yet. I noticed my Check Engine Light pop on twice so far and only for about 2 seconds and then go off. I did not feel or see any change in the car. Is this someting I should worry about. Anyway to check to see why it came on? It appears it came on when the car is cold. ( only within the first few minutes of driving). The first time it came on it was for such a short time I thought that maybe I was seeing things. That was about a week ago. and it happened again this morning.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Network Design Administrator

Refer to this in the How-To section of our site...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14337.doc

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14264
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.

Last edited by RSVX; 10-10-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Classic SVX
Thanks for the info. I am sorry about the double post. I posted on the other forum then noticed that no one was viewing it so I reposted here seeing that there were 5 people viewing. It will NEVER happen agin!
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Classic SVX
OK guys. (and gals, not to offend anybody), I found the code. It is 21. The code list says " Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit" . Where is it located and how do I fix/replace it? Thanks.
ps. Pictures are always a plus
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Paul

Pull off the H6 cover.
It is on the back left side of the engine. below the rear edge of the intake manifold.
You will see two sensors threaded into a water jacket that sits between the block and the intake. One of the sensors has one wire, that feeds the temp gauge on the dash. The one right next to it has two wires, that feeds the ECU, that's the one that will cause a code. You'll need a deep 19mm socket to pull it.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Paul

Pull off the H6 cover.
It is on the back left side of the engine. below the rear edge of the intake manifold.
You will see two sensors threaded into a water jacket that sits between the block and the intake. One of the sensors has one wire, that feeds the temp gauge on the dash. The one right next to it has two wires, that feeds the ECU, that's the one that will cause a code. You'll need a deep 19mm socket to pull it.
Thanks but you are talking to a rookie here "2 sensors threaded into a water jacket?" Is it a replacement part?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 03:29 PM

I'm pointing to it here in this crappy cell phone picture.

This engine is in my basement and has no transmission or throttle body or a few other things.

If you open your hood and stand along the drivers side of the car along the wheel you will be looking in at about the right angle.

It has a brown plastic plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT00001.jpg (44.1 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

Classic SVX
Ok Thanks. I now see what you are talking about, but why do I have to pull the cover off? Is it just to get to it easier? Because I see it with the cover on, if I am looking at the right part.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Yeah, my plastic screws are missing and the cover just sits in place. So I remove it for most things I do back there. If you can get to it with the cover on, go for it.

Looking at that picture, the single wire sensor is right above the one that you need to remove.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:23 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Yeah, my plastic screws are missing and the cover just sits in place. So I remove it for most things I do back there. If you can get to it with the cover on, go for it.

Looking at that picture, the single wire sensor is right above the one that you need to remove.
Ok Thanks. Now a couple of questions on removing it:
1. when I remove it, will coolant come out of the hole?
2. If so, do I need to drain the coolant first or just let it come out ( if in fact it does leak out)
3. When replacing it, do I need any kind of sealant on the threads? or just thread it in.
4. After that is done will the check engine light stay off or do I need to reset it?
5. I see some people talk about multiple codes. How do you find multiple codes? When I checked it I only saw it blink 2 long and 1 short (21). Does that mean that I only have that 1 code or do I do something else to check to see if there are more codes?.
6. A little off this thread but you said you have "plastic screws missing"? Where are these plastic screws supposed to be?
Thanks .
Paul.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
Ok Thanks. Now a couple of questions on removing it:
1. when I remove it, will coolant come out of the hole?
2. If so, do I need to drain the coolant first or just let it come out ( if in fact it does leak out)
3. When replacing it, do I need any kind of sealant on the threads? or just thread it in.
4. After that is done will the check engine light stay off or do I need to reset it?
5. I see some people talk about multiple codes. How do you find multiple codes? When I checked it I only saw it blink 2 long and 1 short (21). Does that mean that I only have that 1 code or do I do something else to check to see if there are more codes?.
6. A little off this thread but you said you have "plastic screws missing"? Where are these plastic screws supposed to be?
Thanks .
Paul.
1 - A little bit, set a rag below it. DON'T DO IT WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT and the system is under pressure!!!!

2 - no

3 - thread it in

4 - The CEL should turn off, but if you read stored codes, it may be there for a bit.

5 - if it flashed 2 - 1 over and over, then that is your only code.

6 - There are plastic screws that go into rubber grommets to hold the H-6 cover in place.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Classic SVX
Thanks again Dave for all your help. I guess I can just buy the part from www.subaruparts.com correct? And back to the screws. I have to wait till the daylight and check again but I could have sworn I had "metal" screws holding down that cover. I hope the previous owner didn't F#$K it by putting some "backyard mechanic" screws it in and F$%k it up on me
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 PM

The screws really aren't important, like I said, I have never had them in mine. They are mainly for cosmetics. Someone posted about getting new ones within the past week or so.

As far as subaruparts.com many have used them with success and I like their website for looking up SVX parts. But sometime tonight I'll be starting a post about Liberty Subaru in NJ. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 AM

Registered SVX
liberty Subaru

does liberty Subaru have a web page availibility like subaruparts.com or do you have to call them directly,
as I have made friends with my local Subaru parts guys and they do have a page if interested it is www.showmeparts.com
if you log in and register then you send them a PM for a part your looking for based on vehicle , they will look it up and reply it does save you considerably example NEW wheel centers reg price 39.99 pm price 31.58 not a ton but it adds up
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 AM

Classic SVX
Question Donation Logo?

Hey Chris. Whats up with my donation logo? Since Dave helped me out so much with my check engine light that I know I saved a lot of money I was thinking of adding to my donation but I never got my logo under my name from the first donation?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander