SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Going, but not forgetting

I'm done. It's unfortunate, but I can't say that I'm going to return again. Yeah, been here before and all that... twice. But this time, given the age of our cars I think the time has come to move on.

My SVX is gone. I got rid of it. Why? Well, the reasons are legion but none of them are about the car itself. It's still one of the better cars I ever owned and I loved the time I owned an SVX; a total of 8 of the last 10 years since I bought my first SVX I've owned one. I've owned three now but the time has come for me to move on to pastures new.

I guess the only thing I can say was the car's failing was that as my kids got bigger it was getting tougher and tougher to get them in and out of the back of the car. We as a family loved that car, my kids loved it too but the lack of rear doors was becoming a liability. While my Volvo was in the shop recently with my minivan currently sitting in the garage with a busted A/C (100 degree heat with no AC... are you kidding me???) the SVX became the family car for a week and it became painfully obvious why I needed to rethink my family's car collection.

It's been over a week now. Actually, 10 days since I got rid of my SVX to a local friend for what I considered a reasonable price. I went out with the cash and invested in another used car; a beautiful 4-door BMW 330i, 2001 model year (latter half, so had the "better" steering feel than the early 2001's). She's silver, and has quite low mileage for her age; less than 80K miles on the clock. She's also a 5-speed... which more than makes up for it being a sedan

Still, I plan to stick around here. The friends I've made over the years made my time in the SVX even more fun that it would've been otherwise. But quite simply life has told me loud and clear that it's time to move on. Besides, with over 140K miles on the clock, body damage I couldn't justify fixing, needing new tires before the end of the year and all sorts of other little things (not to mention heat management problems!) she was getting to the point where my average expenditure on repairs was exceeding what my new car payment will be. With a bit of luck, my new car payments will be done before major maintenance becomes an issue! Besides, my insurance agent was arguing with me; they wanted to drop my comprehensive coverage because of the age of the vehicle and drop me to liability only. I didn't want to... it was an argument I didn't feel like pursuing any more.

So here I am, typing this and looking out of the window of the coffee shop at my BMW. I miss my SVX and I've already had the horrible pang of guilt that lasted a day and a half when I felt that I was going to break down at having gotten rid of an old friend.

I won't own another SVX. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't think it's ever going to be practical for me. The SVX is a gorgeous car and a faithful and fun to drive companion but they're getting rarer all the time. They're starting to become more of the collectors cars we know them to be anyway, but I need a car that'll drive me the 2000 miles a month I've been racking up in my new job. Oh, and the bimmer gets me better gas mileage :P

So just want everyone to know; I'm no longer an SVXer, but I will always bee an SVX fan. And I'll still be around here.

Look out on ebay soon. I'll be listing a bunch of my SVX parts and specialty tools (hub tamer) soon once I go through my garage and get all this stuff together. I didn't jump on this decision; it had been formulating ever since I broke the car from storage even when I got her running problems resolved. Still, it's a tough decision and a tough thing to do. It's for the best, though.

See you around...

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Sorry to see you part ways, but it sounds like you made the right decision for this point in your life.

Now, about that Hub Tamer I think we really need a vulture flying overhead icon
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Hey Thumper

Sorry to hear you have come to the point of parting from your SVX. You are and remain one of the Faithful.

My car [cars plural actually] are now hobby only, I'm not currently running one as an everyday car. Similar reasons to yours I expect. I need a wagon because of the family and work.

Stay with us man. Your voice is welcome around here no matter what you drive. You have given great time and commitment to the SVX community. Maybe sometime soon you will be able to buy a good one as a TOY You deserve one.

Take care and stay posting.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am sorry that you could not keep the car as well as have another one that you could drive on a daily basis. Good luck and visit often.

You might consider listing the parts here first and if they don't sell, go to ebay.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Registered SVX
Hey Thumper/Joe,

I did the right thing and purchased my SVX after the kids had gone there own way. Prior to that my two door FF1 had to be retired from family/wifely duty on account of only two doors, to be replaced with a Honda station wagon.

We all know where you are coming from and wish you well. Please do not depart the community, you could be back one day, kids grow up fa-----st:

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I'll have to say just this.

Though you may only consider yourself an SVX fan at this point, I am of the opinion that literally DRIVING and SVX is not all that makes an SVX'er. I was an SVX'er LONG before I ever bought mine, and I feel I'll now be one until I die. Its something that lives IN me, and everytime I see one of these cars, its renewed.

You'll always be an SVX'er to me. Good luck, and Godspeed.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM

Registered SVX
<grin> Thanks everyone for the responses. Yeah, I'll stick around. I made too many friends on this site to go too far. I mean, e46fanatics.com is an awesome board, too... but it's just too busy. This community's still just the right size to be a community without too many "me too's". I might bring my car to a meet sometime soon as well

As for the decision... yeah, it was right. My kids are both still under 10, so it's a long time before I can really justify a daily driver that's got two doors. While they were still small, I could cram them in the back seat but even that was getting awkward. They both loved my car, too but they both love the Beamer as well

I think it's unlikely I'll own another SVX. If I win the lottery or suddenly get a 50%+ pay raise then possibly as a hobby car... but at this point in my life I can't justify a hobby car at all. If I could... maybe a DeLorean...

Seriously, I'll be around and I'll still be posting. I will still check in occasionally. And yes, I'm going to start listing parts here this weekend... I'd rather they go to a good home.

As well as the hub tamer, I've got that 6000K HID kit I bought the week before I sold the car...

My Rides:

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
PM sent about the HIDs.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
Dear Thumper,

I have the same opinion as stated above. I was an SVX'er before I bought mine, and even though I sold mine, I still consider myself an SVX'er. I don't think that statement will ever change for me... at least not until the day I die. Its a car I will NEVER forget, and I will always remember memories of when I had it. I don't believe this is a time of you saying goodbye... moving on yes, but not goodbye. You know that the people on this forum are a kind of family, and you will always be a part of it. Thats the way I see it.

Good luck to you in your future, and God Bless you.

-Dennis

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
I sold my SVX back in '03, but I also consider myself an SVX'er. Maybe someday when I win the powerball......

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Going, but not forgetting

I won't own another SVX. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't think it's ever going to be practical for me.

Another case for the practicality of singledom.

Welcome back to the zoo.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Going, but not forgetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
I won't own another SVX. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't think it's ever going to be practical for me.

Another case for the practicality of singledom.

Welcome back to the zoo.

Ron.
ROFL... indeed.

Eating crow is definitely made much easier by the addition of a good barbecue sauce...

My Rides: