Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM

First Road Trip

I've had my SVX for a week now, and am starting to realize why everyone on this site loves theirs so much.
Yesterday, I took a mini road trip over the mountain and up the island...I love this car and I don't even have the AWD yet. What a blast to drive on the highway! Don't know about the idiots zooming up too close behind me at 100K to see what kind of car it is, or beside me to check out the windows!! I'm not used to that, and a couple of modded out trucks sort of freaked me (one minute they're a few cars back, the next up your a** ). Can't wait to get her AWD fixed if that was any indication of the fun I'll have.
As per the thread, I know I'm an SVX owner when my last customers at the restaurant leave and then run back in asking I call the police 'cause their car has been stolen, and my first reaction is to push them aside to dash out and check my car is okay!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
You've been bitten by the bug! A second SVX is most likely in your near future haha! I'm glad you love the car as much as the rest of us! But be careful and dont push her to hard into the un-known.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

I took it easy on her, as I didn't want anymore problems. Also, it was a long weekend up here, and the cops were all over the speed freaks. So we just cruised along (okay, maybe a tad over the speed limit occassionally ) and enjoyed the ride.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Cynic, you have no idea how much I'm grinning right now. You're totally under the SVX's spell now. When I first got my car it was quite literally cobbled together and barely running. I had to drive it to Sears to get the lug nuts on one of the wheels blasted off so I could get not-flat tires on. As I'm driving there, the car is shifting hard, warning lights come on, and I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have bought the SVX.

As I make the turn into Sears, a guy pulling into the lane next to me comes up beside me and just looks over and stares at my car. So much that he nearly misses the corner. That was it for me, I was hooked. I can't give this car up.

Once she's all back in working order, I have a feeling you're gonna be real pleased. When they run like they're supposed to, they're quite the driving machine.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

Except for the stupid automatic.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Except for the stupid automatic.
Honestly my last car was an auto (same one, too! well sorta), and once I fixed the resistor problem the auto on the SVX has been really sweet. Especially with it being in power mode all the time and all, heh. Besides, I sometimes get stuck in rush-hour traffic and having a manual in that would be a real pain in the rear....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Honestly my last car was an auto (same one, too! well sorta), and once I fixed the resistor problem the auto on the SVX has been really sweet. Especially with it being in power mode all the time and all, heh. Besides, I sometimes get stuck in rush-hour traffic and having a manual in that would be a real pain in the rear....
Keep telling yourself that. :P Some part of your brain realizes that you would have bought a manual version if they ever offered one. Autos are for honda accords and toyota camrys.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Hater

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. :P Some part of your brain realizes that you would have bought a manual version if they ever offered one. Autos are for honda accords and toyota camrys.

yeah, you know what he likes more than he does!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Retired

Honestly, I don't know. A manual would be neat and all. But I'm serious about that traffic stuff. Just driving my dad's Contour (manual) to drop my siblings off at school was a real pain in the butt 'cause of all the traffic going the same way. Sure the Contour isn't as plush as the SVX, but that isn't my point. It's that I was always "1st-clutch-gas-clutch-coast-brake-1st-clutch-gas..." and that got really annoying after a little while.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:43 AM

I would've bought manual. I love driving stick, and was actually skipping all the "automatic" car ads. This car's ad didn't say manual or auto, so I called. I thought I'd just take a look, as I hadn't seen them before, and I liked the AWD. Didn't think I'd buy her.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Honestly, I don't know. A manual would be neat and all. But I'm serious about that traffic stuff. Just driving my dad's Contour (manual) to drop my siblings off at school was a real pain in the butt 'cause of all the traffic going the same way. Sure the Contour isn't as plush as the SVX, but that isn't my point. It's that I was always "1st-clutch-gas-clutch-coast-brake-1st-clutch-gas..." and that got really annoying after a little while.
You must have never owned a stickshift. After a few months you don't even think about shifting. You just enjoy faster acceleration, more control, better mpg, and having a lot more fun.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Retired

For the month where I was without a car before buying the SVX and for the months where the SVX sat in the garage on flat tires and a dead battery, I drove my dad's Contour pretty exclusively. I agree that constantly using the manual makes you forget about using it. For normal driving, I never had to think about shifting, I just did it. But when you have to constantly be doing 1st-gear shifts from dead stops every few feet, even that becomes apparent.

Come on now. Please don't tell me that you manual guys aren't even the least bit bothered by gridlock traffic.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
You must have never owned a stickshift. After a few months you don't even think about shifting. You just enjoy faster acceleration, more control, better mpg, and having a lot more fun.
And apparently you have never had kids in the car. Having an extra hand is VERY "handy", if you'll excuse the (really bad) pun.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Hater

Quote:
You just enjoy faster acceleration....
depends on the car

Quote:
....more control
depends on the car

Quote:
....better mpg
depends on the car

Quote:
....and having a lot more fun.
your opinion

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Not really. It's like the difference between a bike with one speed and 18. With a manual, you GENERALLY (excluding weird lexus cars) get MORE gears, which allows for faster acceleration, higher top speed, and a lower cruising RPM, which translates into better MPG. Plus you save weight, and reduce drivetrain losses.