How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Power Steering liquid leeking... advice?

Hey guys,

It happens pretty much everytime I drive... Once i stop and get out of the car my car smells like burnt oil and its the power steering fluid that seems like overflows out of the cap of the power steering tank and unto the engine and other hot parts... Yes there was a previous leak in the power steerin system in my car which I have fixed, I will have detailed photos for this later today but for now I just want to know if anyone experiences similar issues...

My theory is that the cap that closes the tank isnt secure enough and the fluid spills out/boils out? Or do you think something else is wrong... The reason I think its the cap is because when I open the hood after driving... the area on top of that tank is wet with power steering liquid.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help!
-Sov13t.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 PM

Mine overflowed around the cap after I overfilled it by guessing, rather than using the marks on the dipstick. The full level is actually pretty low in the filler neck. Start by checking to ensure the reservoir isn't overfilled.

dcb
Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 PM
95pologreen

Send a message via AIM to Crazypolo95
i have the same thing happend to me. I haved being driving my car for some time cuz of it. I all really got the part but i have not put in on. i hope it was the right part but you can get it for subaruparts.com the part is Hose assembly-pressure.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
I will check my liquid level for now, and then will have some pictures posted about it, I am not sure if its a hose or something... this part you bought does it include the actual tank and everything? I am looking at it on Subaruparts its kinda hard to tell what exactly it is.. is it just the hose? or is it the entire upper part of the power steering unit?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
My car does the same thing, actually its because I over filled it. It took me quite a long time to find out the exact problem, I took it to a dealer and they told me the valve below the tank was bad, because it looked like fluid was leaking from there, but in reality it was coming from the cap and leaking down onto the valve. When you turn the steering wheel the fluid level raises to the top and then spills out. I removed some of the fluid with a dropper and problem solved. Might want to try that first.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:38 PM

I bet thats exactly what the problem is now that I think about it... I will have to go check it once i get home.. at work atm.. and I wouldnt dare drive my beauty into Washington D.C. and have it get f*d up by terrible roads and stuff... so Once im home I will let you know about my success on this...

2 wannarace928: So is your fluid below the marker "max" in the tank so that it doesnt leak or is it still around there?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
When the fluid gets low air gets into the system. Air expands when it gets hot, pushing fluid up and out the reservoir cap.
My bet would be to pull the reservior and check the condition of the O-ring. It is the most common source of leaks/air getting into the system. Buy a mixed bag of O-rings at a hardware store and fit the right size one on there to replace it. Check the how-to lockers for details.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:11 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t
I bet thats exactly what the problem is now that I think about it... I will have to go check it once i get home.. at work atm.. and I wouldnt dare drive my beauty into Washington D.C. and have it get f*d up by terrible roads and stuff... so Once im home I will let you know about my success on this...

2 wannarace928: So is your fluid below the marker "max" in the tank so that it doesnt leak or is it still around there?
LMAO, my husband is a truck driver and he hates the DC roads too! I think you are the closest svx to me arent you? I have seen somebody post from Crozet but he isnt "Active" I dont think.

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 09-22-2006, 04:07 PM

Heheh... I've seen an SVX around Fairfax City around here in Northern VA... but dont really know if the driver is active in this community or not... so I guess the answer would be yes
Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 PM

O-ring problem

When I first got my '92, it also had a leak from the top of the tank. It turned out to be the o-ring. Changed it and my problems went away!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

I had the same problem after I repaired the cooler on my ps. Be sure to do the ps filling and bleeding proceedure listed under How-to-docs. Also be sure to check and refill with the engine OFF. That was my downfall.