How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-13-2006, 08:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sorceror
Hard Start Up New Problem

Actually I don't know if this is a new problem or one some of you have seen before ...

My SVX only starts up hard in the morning or the first time I try to start it after it sits for a day. It takes me a few trys to get it started, when it finally starts it stinks. Smells all of pre-ignition and seems like it takes a gallon to start it. Then I have to sit there for a couple of minutes to let it warn up a little

After I get it started it starts up and runs fine the rest of the day. Turns over on first try etc ...

When I park it and leave it overnight the same thing happens. Then I start the above process all over.

I replaced the water temp sensor a few months back with a new one and O2's were replaced before I bought it at 84,000. Has 92,000 now.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I'm going to go with failing crank position sensor. One of these failing usually causes the problems to describe. Most often it's a broken CTS, but your problems occur when the car is cold and the car reeks of gas when you start it which tells me that it might be the crank position sensor.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-13-2006, 10:07 AM

I will give the crank sensor a try. You say most often it is the CTS? I may sound stupid here but what is the CTS and could it possibly be the culprit? What happens when it goes bad?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think it could be a leaking injector. To test this problem get to the wire connector under the rear seat and disconnect it while engine is running and let the engine stall. Reconnect before starting in the morning.

or

I had a problem similar on a 93 impreza 1.8L. It was the coolant sensor.

or

Reset the ECU and TCU by disconnecting the (-)battery overnight and then starting and letting it idle for 20 minutes without touching the the throttle.

Take care too,
John
Old 07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It still sounds like the coolant sensor. Are you getting any engine codes?

When it eventually starts what RPM's does it idle at?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 PM

Talking

Ok by the coolant sensor I am thinking you are talking about the water temp sensor, right? I replaced that a few months back when the problem came up. It is located near the rear of the engine kind of almost under the intake on the drivers side right?

I cleared the codes in the ecu and the vehicle would run fine on start up for about a week or 2 then I would get the same codes again while driving down the road and the problem would be back.

I got tired of constantly resetting the ECU so, I replaced the it last month and the car ran fine for a couple of weeks again and it started doing it again only not as bad as with the original ECU.

When it finally starts it idles around 500 to 750 for a couple of minutes and it sounds like it is gasping for air. Then it runs and idles fine.

Why would I need to reset the TCU? This seems like a gas problem not a tranny issue.

Hey svxcommuter I am definately going to try your fuel pump disconnect tonight.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM

I will run the codes later tonight and list them for you but I don't think the codes are actually what is wrong. Does anyone think it could be my egr valve ? The guy I bought it from used to store it for a year or two at a time.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:19 PM

SVX_COMMUTER!

Your suggestion about a leaky fuel injector worked. I ran the car for a little while and then disconnected the wire under my rear seat. Let it sit for a couple of days ... It is the weekend after all ... Just went out and plugged it back in and the beautiful arrest me red SVX fired right up on the first try !!!

For anyone that may be following this post my computer codes are as follows:

21 = water temp sensor ... Replaced a couple of months ago
56 = EGR system (CAL) ... I have a spare but really wasn't looking forward to replacing if I didn't have to.

Though art God SVX_COMMUTER THANKS!

Now I don't suppose you know if there is an easy way to find out which fuel injector it is without taking 6 days to do it, is there?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Leave everything hooked up as normal. Let the car set long enough to be difficult to start. Crank the engine over a few times, without allowing it to start. Then pull the spark plugs, watching for one that is notably wet. Or, since you know you're going to have to replace at least one injector... buy an injector, remove the fuel rails, while holding the still attached injectors above their holes have someone cycle the ignition switch to 'on', no need to crank engine. The injector that drips will be the obvious culprit. (the SVX injectors do dangle from the fuel rail, don't they? too lazy to go look)

Make sure you change your oil and filter! The excess, unburnt fuel is washing past the rings in that cylinder and diluting your oil - not a good thing.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 PM

could this be my problem too??? even though it only happens (very similar to his) once every couple months??
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 PM

hey - 92SVXLS-LDC

my problem started very slowly it only happened once in awhile. Then I started to have to clear codes and it would run fine for a couple of weeks ...

Then I just got tired of the whole thing ...

Damn - I knew I should have kept those spare rails I had ...